Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Malware, Viruses & Hackers ~ are you protected?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2012 - 10:32PM #11
teilhard

The two "Macs" in our Household are doing SWELL ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2012 - 3:49PM #12
Stardove

I had to look up "pwned", since I had never heard the term. 

I am not a gamer.  A little Free Cell from time to time is about it for me. Wink

The only Mac I have is when hubby cooks Mac 'N Cheese.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2012 - 3:12PM #13
teilhard

We try NOT to spill any "Cheese" on EITHER of our two "Macs" ...

;-)

Jul 11, 2012 -- 3:49PM, Stardove wrote:

I had to look up "pwned", since I had never heard the term. 

I am not a gamer.  A little Free Cell from time to time is about it for me.

The only Mac I have is when hubby cooks Mac 'N Cheese.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 6:25AM #14
DotNotInOz

I'm with ya, Stardove, on having no clue what "pwned" meant. The term was vaguely familiar, but that's it.

And I've been playing online computer games, including Warcraft briefly (not impressed), since they first got going to any extent back around 2000.

You and I missed the boat on that particular factoid, huh? Musta been on break when everybody else was talking about the concept.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 8:17AM #15
Ebon

"pwned" actually means throughly beaten at something. So yeah, a hacker might say that he has pwned your machine but a gamer might equally say he has pwned you.

A hacker is just someone who knows their way around the electronic world, especially if they know the common exploits and backdoors in operating systems. Hackers are subdivided into white-hats, black-hats and hacktivists although there's a lot of crossover between the three groups.

White hats are the ones who test security systems as a service or who test themselves against specially set-up machines for fun. Microsoft employs loads of them to test it's software for vulnerabilities. Most national governments also employ a team to act as cyber-security.

Black hats are what people think of when you say "hacker". They break into systems and trash them for fun or steal your electronic identity or similar things. They're a royal pain in the behind and cost you both personally and as a taxpayer. Note that it's not unheard of for a black hat to turn white hat. It's a fairly open secret in the hacker community that the really good black hats get given "the choice" by the alphabet agencies (i.e. "go to jail or come work for us").

Hacktivists are hackers whose hacking has a political edge. They run DDOS attacks on morally dubious companies or deface their websites. China's giant firewall is constantly under attack by hacktivists. Anonymous as a collective body often does hacktivism.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 8:22AM #16
Ebon

On a more general note:

If you're running a recent version of Windows, you already have a firewall included. Go to Start > Control Panel > Security Center and make sure it's switched on.

For anti-virus:

AVG is a good free anti-virus program: free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-downlo...

Microsoft also does their own free AV program: windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/prod...

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 10:55AM #17
Stardove

Jul 13, 2012 -- 6:25AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I'm with ya, Stardove, on having no clue what "pwned" meant. The term was vaguely familiar, but that's it.

And I've been playing online computer games, including Warcraft briefly (not impressed), since they first got going to any extent back around 2000.

You and I missed the boat on that particular factoid, huh? Musta been on break when everybody else was talking about the concept.

For sure Dot about missing the boat.  Wink

I replaced my Blackberry with a Smart(er) Phone in March.  My 10 years old grand-daughter set up my speed dial on it last Saturday.  Why?  Because I didn't know how.  I told her I was still learning things about my cell phone.  She answered with, "what do you need to do?".  The rest is history.

She was very surprised I didn't have any game apps on my cell too.  When she got my phone that was the first thing she said, "you don't have any games on here".

Thanks Ebon for the posts of knowledge!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2012 - 6:42AM #18
DotNotInOz

Single best smartphone app I've got is AnyList for shopping. That is one useful list. Dunno what other mobiles it may be available for (I've got an iPhone4), but that's one definitely worth looking into.

I never write out a supermarket list. Just add what we need into the AL app as I notice we're low or out, and a touch crosses things off the list when I pick them off the shelf.

I particularly like AnyList because you can enter a specific brand name, how many you need, what weight, add weird delicacies that aren't in the pre-fab list of commonly bought items and put a note with an item if you want a specific type of some foodstuff such as canned tomatoes with roasted garlic.

There's an "All" tab that retains what you've previously put on the list for a specific store so that you can simply scroll down it and re-click what you've bought previously. It will then appear on the "Remaining" tab as something you need to buy without your having to re-enter the item. That is really useful if you have--let's say, a particular wine available only at one store nearby. Each store's list can be individualized and retains what you've bought there previously until you delete items. 

I swear a smartphone is a godsend for these shopping list apps!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:22PM #19
Jcarlinbn

moved from HTZ

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2012 - 11:06AM #20
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Quick Reply