Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Murdoch vs. Scientology?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 2:04AM #1
CharikIeia

Is it an attempt to improve his reputation?

Rupert Murdoch has gone on record with critical remarks about the organisation called "Church of Scientiology".

abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/...

articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-01/e...

And apparently, his papers do not shy away from criticism - despite the multi-million-dollar-army of lawyers financed by the cult:

www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/katie-holmes-d...

Kudos, Mr. Murdoch!

It's the first time I say this. Hopefully not the last time...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 10:04AM #2
arielg

An old man talking about something he doesn't know a damn thing about, like most people who talk about  scientology.

He is taking advantage of a common perception that has been developped around scientology by people looking from the outside. He is probably trying to sell some low class newspapers and improve his reputation, as you say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 12:59PM #3
TemplarS

I have little inclination to take seriously anything Mr. Murdoch has to say.

OTOH- one supposes Ms. Holmes knows quite a bit about Scientology.  It will be interesting to see how that story unfolds...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 1:11PM #4
Ebon

Given that both News Corp and Scientology have plenty of money to defend themselves AND that Scientology is notoriously touchy, this should be worth watching.

I'll get the popcorn on.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 2:48PM #5
farragut

"'ll get the popcorn on."

I'll get some quart containers of soda-pop.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 2:58PM #6
Fodaoson

Jul 4, 2012 -- 2:48PM, farragut wrote:

"'ll get the popcorn on."

I'll get some quart containers of soda-pop.

Make it  7-UP grape or orange, most Mormons do not drink caffeine or other stimulating drinks   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 7:52PM #7
mountain_man

Jul 4, 2012 -- 10:04AM, arielg wrote:

An old man talking about something he doesn't know a damn thing about, like most people who talk about  scientology.

Most people know Scientology was made up by a 3rd rate science fiction writer that said; "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." He did.

He also said; "THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM. You can write that down in your book in great big letters. The only way you can control anybody is to lie to them." He did that too.

What more does one need to know?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 8:57PM #8
farragut

Rhetorical question follows:

How in hell can it be that adult humans can not understand this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 9:38PM #9
Ebon

Jul 4, 2012 -- 8:57PM, farragut wrote:

Rhetorical question follows:

How in hell can it be that adult humans can not understand this?

As I said, everyone's religion looks crazy from the outside. To me, Scientology looks like bad SF but is it objectively any sillier than talking snakes or sacred underwear or believing in a celestial war between good and evil? Not objectively.

Now, I could suggest a few reasons why people believe weird stuff from a psychological perspective (such as confirmation bias, the need to believe that we are special, social pressure and so on) but none of that would prove that a religion is outright false. In the end, faith is a little like a piece of music: Either you feel it or you don't.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2012 - 10:05PM #10
mountain_man

Jul 4, 2012 -- 9:38PM, Ebon wrote:

As I said, everyone's religion looks crazy from the outside. To me, Scientology looks like bad SF but is it objectively any sillier than talking snakes or sacred underwear or believing in a celestial war between good and evil? Not objectively.

Objectively scientology does not look like bad SiFi, it is. If scientology is just as silly as talking snakes, etc, then why bother believing in it at all?

Now, I could suggest a few reasons why people believe weird stuff from a psychological perspective (such as confirmation bias, the need to believe that we are special, social pressure and so on) but none of that would prove that a religion is outright false. In the end, faith is a little like a piece of music: Either you feel it or you don't.

"Feeling" it or not is not a rational way to find the truth. None of those things you mentioned are used by the non believers, or detractors, of scientology. I do not reject scientology on an emotional level any more than I would reject any other religious or fanciful belief. I look at the claims made and then compare them to an objective as possible reality. The claims do not match reality and are rejected on that basis.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook