Page 28 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Switch to Forum Live View Whaling nations defeat Atlantic sanctuary
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 12:09AM #271
Mlyons619

Jul 21, 2012 -- 10:23PM, rabello wrote:

A "Hot Topics" Board should be for "heated" debate of controversial subjects, not insult fests.  The guidelines clearly indicate the derailing threads and personal insults (like "something's wrong with you" or "you are not fit to discuss this" or "you are below my league", etc) are still SUPPOSED to be against the ROC.

A "heated debate" is, more often than not an "insult-fest," otherwise "heated debates" (minus ROC violations) are very much allowed and even encouraged on forums outside the HTZ.

Solfeggio's enemies NEVER address any of the points she makes, they just b*tch at her and fling insults

And she doesn't do the same?  And many of her friends don't do the same?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Seems to be a pot complaining about the kettle situation.

And yes, I would use the word "enemies" and not "debate opponents".  That is completely uncalled for.   What was done to Christine on this board, mostly by one poster, but there was some ganging up on her, too -- that was uncalled for.  The ganging up on arielg was uncalled for, too. 

I have read (and, once upon a time, moderated) posts here, and, more often than not, such behavior is not merely one-way. 

I reject the claim that "anything goes" on this board just because it's entitled "Hot Topics".   If people don't have anything substantive to say on a solfeggio thread, they should avoid the thread instead of visiting it just to clobber her.  That is just logical.

Here’s where the REPORT A POST button comes in.  If you feel a post is off-topic and gratuitously insulting, you ought to report it.  Are you doing that?

If people see this board as just a place to clobber others and try to hurt those they hate, then that does explain a few things about the overall quality of the place.

Perhaps you need to reread HTZ Guidelines then.  Gratuitous and off topic insulting can be - and often is - removed by mods here.  Racial, ethnic, and sexual slurs, as well as threats of violence are ALWAYS removed.

Otherwise, anything pretty much goes.  I ought to know.  I helped put this forum together.

But, clearly, the HTZ continues to be popular with posters here.  What they think of the quality of the threads is another matter.  The high post count and the length of time many of these threads last is indicative of how stimulating posters find this place.

However, if you feel this place is of degrading, low-brow quality, then probably you should post somewhere else.  Nobody’s forcing you to stay here.  Obviously you are getting something out of such exchanges; otherwise you’d already be gone.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 1:19AM #272
christine3

Jul 21, 2012 -- 9:11PM, jane2 wrote:

Many of us also love animals and do not want them treated badly but do not equate them with people.

I think you are not understanding one thing.  Nobody is equating animals with people as if they are people, just in differently shaped bodies.  What we are doing is saying that animals feel pain, have emotions and are intelligent.  That gives them the right to be protected.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 4:22AM #273
Mlyons619

Jul 22, 2012 -- 1:19AM, christine3 wrote:

...That gives them the right to be protected...

Does that mean we eridicate orcas and sharks, who BTW FEED on whales?

The fact is animals themselves do not confer such rights on each other.  Orcas kill to live.  Dolphins kill to live. Sperm whales kill to live.

I am concerned about whales.  However, even PEOPLE don't have the right to BE protected.  To this day we have people whose lives are threatened and nobody seems to care a rip about it.  However I may feel about animals - including whales - I cannot put them above the needs of people to aurvive.

I can agree to the desirability to end whaling - we don't need it - but I don't think it worthy enough to risk lives or to make war on those who disagree... 

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 7:51AM #274
christine3

Jul 22, 2012 -- 4:22AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Jul 22, 2012 -- 1:19AM, christine3 wrote:

...That gives them the right to be protected...

Does that mean we eridicate orcas and sharks, who BTW FEED on whales?

The fact is animals themselves do not confer such rights on each other.  Orcas kill to live.  Dolphins kill to live. Sperm whales kill to live.

I am concerned about whales.  However, even PEOPLE don't have the right to BE protected.  To this day we have people whose lives are threatened and nobody seems to care a rip about it.  However I may feel about animals - including whales - I cannot put them above the needs of people to aurvive.

I can agree to the desirability to end whaling - we don't need it - but I don't think it worthy enough to risk lives or to make war on those who disagree... 

I am very clumsy at saying what I want to say.  This is, of course, debatable...but aren't humans coming up from the animal...our closest ancestors are great apes?  They demonstrate altruism and we are even more so if the trait is nurtured.  (To me) it means we don't have to continue killing other animals.  If 'dominion' means we are to control earth, I don't want that.  If 'dominion' means  we are to rise above the ways of this earth, I want that.

Of everything else that kills to eat and live, we can be different.  I don't know if it is worthy, good or necessary, but it feels right to me.  It is like a blind person who almost knows the shapes and feels of objects still unfamiliar.  Touching them doesn't make them more clear.  

It reminds me of that old movie, "2001" where proto man discovers a monolith.  They are frightened, what IS it?  It is not a monument of blindness but of metamorphosis.  Then BOOM, they are different.  I am attracted by an experiment and find myself going that way rather than staying with more familiar ways.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2012 - 8:08AM #275
arielg

Very well said, Christine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 28 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook