Locked: Supreme Court Upholds "Obamacare"
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:10PM #41
Do_unto_others

Jun 28, 2012 -- 2:41PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 2:38PM, teilhard wrote:

And NOW they HATE "The Plan" ...

Jun 28, 2012 -- 1:44PM, REteach wrote:

Yep--this was a Republican plan--until Obama adopted it.  Undecided

It was Willard, the Etcha-Sketch's plan in Massachusetts, too; that is, until the Koch Bros told the Wingos to be "again' it."

Don't forget to thank the (right-wing) Heritage Foundation. They 'hepped'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:20PM #42
teilhard

The "Individual Mandate" WAS their Original Idea, wasn't it ... ???

"Oh ... !!!  What a World, what a World ... !!!"

-- The Wicked Witch of The West

Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:10PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 2:41PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 2:38PM, teilhard wrote:

And NOW they HATE "The Plan" ...

Jun 28, 2012 -- 1:44PM, REteach wrote:

Yep--this was a Republican plan--until Obama adopted it.  Undecided

It was Willard, the Etcha-Sketch's plan in Massachusetts, too; that is, until the Koch Bros told the Wingos to be "again' it."

Don't forget to thank the (right-wing) Heritage Foundation. They 'hepped'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:24PM #43
TemplarS

Jun 28, 2012 -- 3:53PM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 3:20PM, Sigmund wrote:

I think one of the most interesting things to come out of this will be the GOP/conservative response to Chief Justice John Roberts. Twice this week he has voted against the standard GOP position in high profile cases.

Will there still be cries of "judicial activism" from both side of the debate?

Apparently, someone on CafePress already has "impeach John Roberts" t-shirts up for sale.

Well, of course, it is obvious what will happen now.

The right will push for the nomination of Justices who are even farther to the right.  Google, for example, Jerry Smith, to see what these folks have in mind next.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:40PM #44
teilhard

Maybe they'll try "Bob Bork" again ...

Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:24PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 3:53PM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 3:20PM, Sigmund wrote:

I think one of the most interesting things to come out of this will be the GOP/conservative response to Chief Justice John Roberts. Twice this week he has voted against the standard GOP position in high profile cases.

Will there still be cries of "judicial activism" from both side of the debate?

Apparently, someone on CafePress already has "impeach John Roberts" t-shirts up for sale.

Well, of course, it is obvious what will happen now.

The right will push for the nomination of Justices who are even farther to the right.  Google, for example, Jerry Smith, to see what these folks have in mind next.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:00PM #45
arielg

Jun 28, 2012 -- 2:35PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 1:44PM, arielg wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 1:34PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 11:23AM, Girlchristian wrote:

The insurance companies are happy, they'll be making a lot more money now.

Why that? Makes no sense to me.

Because everybody is required to buy insurance.  And the insurance companies  are the only one who sell that.

This is stupid reasoning.

Everybody needs to buy bread, and it's not expensive or making bakers very rich...

When markets get larger, this does not automatically mean sellers will make more profits.

What is stupid about it? There are millions of people who did not have or want health insurance, for whatever reason and now they are forced to buy it  from the insurance monopoly. Millions of new customers that the industry did not have before. Why wouldn't they be happy?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:35PM #46
REteach

The industry is not happy because they have to cover people who wanted insurance but couldn't get it.

My dad needs an electric wheelchair because he can't walk any more. He was told by the vendor he saw today that they don't work with his insurance company.

What we really need is a national health plan, but all the selfish people don't think of anybody but themselves. Oddly an awful lot of them also go to church...

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:54PM #47
TPaine

Jun 28, 2012 -- 4:08PM, teilhard wrote:

And of course, The Preamble to The Constitution ... "General Welfare" and all that ...

"The 14th Amendment" -- Equal Protection ...

It's hard to argue that ANY of that has ANY Meaning if you're DEAD because The Hospital E.R. turned you away for Lack of an Insurance Card, yes ... ???

For those who plan to say that the Preamble does not define government powers there is Article I, Section 8, Paragraph 1 that states:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; (emphasis added)

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:08PM #48
mainecaptain

Jun 28, 2012 -- 8:35PM, REteach wrote:

The industry is not happy because they have to cover people who wanted insurance but couldn't get it.

My dad needs an electric wheelchair because he can't walk any more. He was told by the vendor he saw today that they don't work with his insurance company.

What we really need is a national health plan, but all the selfish people don't think of anybody but themselves. Oddly an awful lot of them also go to church...

"Oddly an awful lot of them also go to church..." That is what I find so astounding and disappointing.

And shows so many as hypocrites. Or worse

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:12PM #49
mountain_man

This is the worst decision ever! It's horrible, now people will be able to afford medical insurance. We all know where this is headed and that has some people really scared; the end of the insurance companies. With their demise we will end up with single payer health care. And without those giant health insurance companies donating millions of dollars to Regressives, they'll lose some of their grip on society. They won't like that.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:26PM #50
Ironhold

Jun 28, 2012 -- 8:00PM, arielg wrote:

What is stupid about it? There are millions of people who did not have or want health insurance, for whatever reason and now they are forced to buy it  from the insurance monopoly. Millions of new customers that the industry did not have before. Why wouldn't they be happy?

In my case, the law's made me a criminal.

I have 18 months to either get rich enough to afford health care or kick the bucket.

Otherwise, they sic the IRS after me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook