Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 23  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Supreme Court Upholds "Obamacare"
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:36PM #11
Ebon

Jun 28, 2012 -- 12:19PM, TemplarS wrote:

But then again- in health care, as a practical matter,  for all but the very rich or the very healthy, the status quo is that the health insurance companies have unlimited power over this aspect of our lives anyway.  What's the difference?

I'll tell you the difference. The insurance company is incentivised to deny you care because they make more money that way. The government beuracrat is indifferent. I trust the disinterested civil servant over the insurance company suit every single day and twice on Sundays.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:41PM #12
Ironhold

Question -

What about those of us who are so broke that both "mandatory health insurance" and "the annual fine" are out of the question?

Either way, as far as Obama's concerned I'm now officially a part of the criminal element.

...and people wonder why I'm going for Romney.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:47PM #13
Ebon

Jun 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, Ironhold wrote:

Question -

What about those of us who are so broke that both "mandatory health insurance" and "the annual fine" are out of the question?

Either way, as far as Obama's concerned I'm now officially a part of the criminal element.

Hardly. If you're that poor, you get subsidies to buy insurance (which might well be the full cost, I haven't checked).

Dude, don't play that game. You'd be voting for Romney anyway because he's the more conservative candidate. And maybe because he's a Mormon, I don't know how much your faith affects your politics.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:04PM #14
Girlchristian

Jun 28, 2012 -- 12:47PM, Ebon wrote:

Question -

Hardly. If you're that poor, you get subsidies to buy insurance (which might well be the full cost, I haven't checked).

Dude, don't play that game. You'd be voting for Romney anyway because he's the more conservative candidate. And maybe because he's a Mormon, I don't know how much your faith affects your politics.

Here is info on the subsidies, which come in the form of a tax credit if you're at or below 400% of the federal poverty level.

101.communitycatalyst.org/aca_provisions...

The ACA provides two forms of subsidies to help pay for health insurance. First, a monthly premium assistance tax credit will lower the premium amount an individual or family must pay. Second, cost-sharing assistance will limit a person's maximum out-of-pocket costs, and for some it will also reduce other cost-sharing requirements (i.e., deductibles, coinsurance, co-payments).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:12PM #15
TemplarS

Question -

Then you are screwed anyway since you cannot afford to pay for any meaningful health care.

Stay healthy, my friend!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:18PM #16
withwonderingawe

It is a win for all Americans in that the commerce clause was not used to justify this world’s largest tax increase ever. If it had then that clause could be used to justify anything the government wanted to do to you.

The court has said there is no limit to how we can be taxed, think about that. 

And we were lied to, Obama promised no one making under $250,000 would get any new taxes!

It is interesting that Kennedy voted against it, said the whole thing was unconstitutional. 

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:34PM #17
CharikIeia

Jun 28, 2012 -- 11:23AM, Girlchristian wrote:

The insurance companies are happy, they'll be making a lot more money now.

Why that? Makes no sense to me.

Weren't the insurance companies the biggest lobby against Obamacare?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:43PM #18
rabello

But Romney was for it before he was against it.

Besides, "ObamaCare" is in reality "RepublicanCare" because it is, basically, THE plan the Republicans proposed 20 years ago as an alternative to what they derisively called "HillaryCare".  No reason to trust Romney or the Republicans on this, except to say, if they had control, they'd do nothing for those in need.

Question -

There is no criminalization involved.  You should be able to find an affordable, subsidized plan on the exchange that will be available by 2014.  If you decide not to take it, then you'll have a penalty to pay, not a jail term, or a criminal record to your name.

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:44PM #19
arielg

Jun 28, 2012 -- 1:34PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 11:23AM, Girlchristian wrote:

The insurance companies are happy, they'll be making a lot more money now.

Why that? Makes no sense to me.

Because everybody is required to buy insurance.  And the insurance companies  are the only one who sell that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:44PM #20
REteach

Yep--this was a Republican plan--until Obama adopted it.  Undecided

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 23  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook