Switch to Forum Live View California teacher arrested for hazing incident
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 6:15AM #1
Ironhold
link

A California teacher and four of his students have been arrested after a report that he directed the four to haze other students who he felt needed the additional "discipline".

Bet they're gonna just *love* him in prison...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 11:39AM #2
mountain_man

For those that don't know California; that happened in Fontana. It's east of Los Angeles and used to be known, and maybe still is, the "Felon Capital" of the state. They produced more prison/jail inmates than any other city in the state.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 11:34PM #3
karbie

What kind of mental disconnect is going on any more? If hazing is supposed to be illegal at college--it doesn't belong anywhere else. (Yes, I know better. The only possible "bright" spot is that this stuff is making it into the news at all.)

Hazing is bullying taken to the extremes. With minors it is child abuse; and there is no excuse for someone who is supposed to be a role model teaching this kind of behavior.

He's soon to find out what a real hazing is all about in prison. And I have absolutely no sympathy to waste at all.

My uncle went from teaching in inner city schools, to being a principal and eventually a college professor. He and my aunt mortgaged their lives to put all 4 kids through college. He loved teaching and watching the lights go on. My s-i-l and b-i-l are both teachers. Not "educators", but teachers.

Too bad this so-called teacher didn't go straight to felon without a stopover in any school system. At least now he'll have a well deserved "F" after his name.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 1:24PM #4
Cesmom

Jun 25, 2012 -- 11:39AM, mountain_man wrote:

For those that don't know California; that happened in Fontana. It's east of Los Angeles and used to be known, and maybe still is, the "Felon Capital" of the state. They produced more prison/jail inmates than any other city in the state.

Sounds like this teacher is trying to speed up production.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:50AM #5
karbie

Perhaps the teacher was simply trying to find a subject those pupils could excel at? Maybe it was "Intro into physical intimidation", "menacing with intent to injure" or Prison 101. It certainly wasn't teaching. Absolutely not "CItizenship" or good conduct.

I don't know what the teacher was thinking. Right. Not thinking. Hazing isn't much of a job skill.

Now if it was meant as simple extortion of the students being hazed, perhaps the teacher was going to teach fractions while dividing the money, and supplementing income. Or perhaps the teacher simply didn't like the victims and just used the other students.  There isn't a reason to do it.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 6:06AM #6
arielg

Controlled hazing is not hazing. The link doesn't provide any detail of what the incident exactly was, which doesn't seem to stop people from jumping to conclusions and go off on their selfrighteous indignation about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:48AM #7
Sigmund

Jun 28, 2012 -- 6:06AM, arielg wrote:

Controlled hazing is not hazing. The link doesn't provide any detail of what the incident exactly was, which doesn't seem to stop people from jumping to conclusions and go off on their selfrighteous indignation about it.

"Controlled hazing is not hazing"

I had to do a double take when I read this sentence. Do you also allege that "Controlled beating is not beating"? Or how about ""Controlled drunk driving is not drunk driving"?

And by the way, this "hazing" has now been declared sexual assault.

Teacher, student charged in hazing probe

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 7:36PM #8
arielg

I had to do a double take when I read this sentence. Do you also allege that "Controlled beating is not beating"? Or how about ""Controlled drunk driving is not drunk driving"?

It they are "controlled", they are not the real thing.  It is make-believe. They are game playing, for whatever purpose and  can be stopped at any time by the one who controls it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 12:35PM #9
Sigmund

Jun 28, 2012 -- 7:36PM, arielg wrote:

It they are "controlled", they are not the real thing.  It is make-believe. They are game playing, for whatever purpose and  can be stopped at any time by the one who controls it.

So it isn't hazing if someone in authority tells you to do it? Say a fraternity president instructing frat members to paddle pledges isn't hazing?

I can't find your definition anywhere on the web. In fact, this from stophazing.org:

“Hazing is an activity that a high-status member orders other members to engage in or suggests that they engage in that in some way humbles a newcomer who lacks the power to resist"

seems to suggest the direct opposite of your claim.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 12:44PM #10
wohali

Waterboarding is "controlled" simulation of drowning.

Still torture.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook