Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jerry Sandusky Found Guilty
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 12:38AM #1
teilhard

Penn State former Football Coach Jerry Sandusky has been found GUILTY on 45 of 48 Counts of Child Sexual Abuse ...

www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la...

Edit: added news link

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 23, 2012 - 12:46AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 3:14AM #2
Mlyons619

Either he will spend the remainder of his days in solitary confinement away from general population or he will spend maybe one year with general population until he gets shanked by somebody. 

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 3:55AM #3
Ebon

Jun 23, 2012 -- 3:14AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Either he will spend the remainder of his days in solitary confinement away from general population or he will spend maybe one year with general population until he gets shanked by somebody. 

And while I cannot endorse such a killing, I certainly wouldn't be shedding any tears.

He'll get AdSeg anyway. As far as I know, that's standard practice with sex offenders in most prisons.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:08AM #4
IreneAdler

Not a surprise. But glad the jury took the time to thoroughly go over the evidence. They took their job seriously.  After deciding the witnesses were credible, then how are character witnesses going to counter that?  Doesn’t seem like much of a defense.  To me, a good defense would be to counter with proof that Sandusky was around at the time the event occurred. But I guess that wasn’t possible.

So, will Dottie divorce Jerry?

During “verdict watch” on CNN, one local reporter made comment to the effect of waiting for the “guilty verdict” to come in – not the “verdict”. 

Just cuz someone does a lot of very good deeds throughout their days, it doesn't excuse heinous acts by the same person. 

(flashbacks to the case of child molestation where I served as a juror-oy!)

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:53AM #5
karbie

I agree that no amount of good works are enough to excuse one count of sexual abuse. I guess he thought he was powerful enough to get away with it forever. He certainly had far too many victims.

While he will undoubtably need to be out in isolation for his own protection, I do think he'll survive more than one year in the general prisoner population. I think the other inmates will want to stretch his time out a bit so that they can "play" with him.

Or as Bette Midler's character said in Ruthless People to her kidnappers: "Your're going to be very popular in prison. You'll be making a lot of new friends--big hairy ones--but you'll never see their faces!"

Tacky of me, but my molester lived next door and anytime I would be outside he would follow me along the property line and the hatred made my skin crawl. He was charged, but after the Grand Jury and 3 postponements, with the extra touch of having his son as my substitute teacher while it was all going on, my parents dropped the charges because I was on the verge of a breakdown. He did gave to undergo counseling as part of the agreement.

Sp you have my sympathy. I can't forget the day because it was Father's Day. The police officer taking my statement actually figured in more of my nightmares because he was so angry with me his face got bright red, vein stuck out, and his hands were clenched in fists while he screamed at me to stop lying. That I was ruining a good man, and admit it, I was just getting even for being in trouble, etc. Telling me I was going straight to Hell for lying. There was no sensitivity training back in 1966.

Jerry Sandusky's wife should divorce him after stripping him of any assets the lawyers and victims don't attach. She should be tested for STDs if she hasn't done so. Just another one of his victims, another person who has been humiliated by his actions.

Sandusky's about to find out just how being powerless feels like. He's going to have to do what he's told eat what and when he's told, when he sleeps, when he can go outside..he might be able to help figure out the odds on games, but I don't think his accommodations will be up to his usual standards.

When one of the convicted pedophile priests died after just 2 years in prison one of his victims was very upset because he wanted him to be in prison longer. I hope Sandusky lasts longer.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 2:22PM #6
Stardove

Dear Karbie, I am so sorry for all you went through as a child. (((Karbie)))

Some people are upset that Jerry's adopted son came out as another victim, and told he was abused after the testimony had ended. (note: some articles call Matt the step-son)

From what I've read if Jerry has testified, then his son would have been a rebuttal witness and testified.  Jerry could be sentenced to 400 years in prison, so hopefully he will never be a free man.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 3:05PM #7
REteach

((karbie)). I am so sorry for what you went through. 

I feel sorry for almost everybody involved here.  I can even drum up some sympathy for Sandusky--how does a man become so broken that he finds kids sexually exciting?  I may have more contempt for the friends who could laugh and joke with him after those guys were sharing their horrific stories.  It would be interesting to know how clueless his wife really was.  It will be interesting to see how the rest of the family treats Matt.

Unfortunately I think too many people will still be reluctant to report people they know for suspicions of child abuse

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 7:43PM #8
IDBC

Howdy

The Dr. Jekyll side of me does feel a small degree of compassion for Sandusky.  It is my understanding that pedophillics is caused by a genetic dispostion. This does not mean that all pedophiles with this genetic predisposition become pediphiles.   It is also my understanding that at least sometimes pedohiles are themselves were victims of sexual abuse when they were children.  I think it is almost inevitable that if a person had a genetic predipostion AND was sexually abused as a child it is ALMOST inevitable that the will become pedophiles. His being incarcerated in jail should not be revenge or retribution but to prevent him from doing it again. 

The Mr. Hyde side of me wants revenge and retribution for what this pervert did to so many children.   There is no excuse for what he did to those innocent children.  

The Mr. Hyde side of me is torn between wether revenge and retribution would by better served if he was released into general population and shanked to death within a year. 

Or that he live a long, long, long, long live in prison.  

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 8:34PM #9
TemplarS

We had a very lengthy discussion here of the case when the news first broke.

The bottom line now is, Sandusky was brought to justice, but the details of who knew what and did what within the Penn State administration are still obscure.  Two administration officials are under indictment, but the whole story has not come out, in my judgement.   There were some questionable decisions by the prosecutors office as well when the first allegation surfaced.  Many more boys suffered as a result.

The problem for society is not just  that there are pedophiles around; it is that there are still too many people unwilling to face the truth and act with moral courage,  in the cause of trying to protect "The Program", "The University", "The Church", or whatever other organization is involved. 

The big business of college football proceeds undeterred.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 8:41PM #10
TemplarS

Jun 23, 2012 -- 7:08AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Not a surprise. But glad the jury took the time to thoroughly go over the evidence. 

Not that much time.  21 hours for 48 counts, that's about 26 minutes a count.  Not including coffee breaks, lunch breaks, etc.

This was actually a very swift verdict.  About what the man deserved.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook