Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mom Throws Away Son's Life Savings
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:58AM #1
Ironhold
link

"My son's off at scout camp. Time to clean his room! He's got an old PC tower? Well, let's just get rid of that! What do you mean 'where's my life savings?'"

That's right: mom decided that "her son being away" was the perfect time to clean her son's room, but because no one was around to actually tell her what was what, her son nearly lost $300 in cash and gift cards he'd hidden in an old computer tower to protect it from a sister he believed was stealing from him.

Fortunately, the manager of the recycling center it'd been sent to was able to locate the machine and return it.

And people wonder why I get so upset when my mom starts going behind me and sorting through things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 10:33AM #2
Erey

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:58AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

"My son's off at scout camp. Time to clean his room! He's got an old PC tower? Well, let's just get rid of that! What do you mean 'where's my life savings?'"

That's right: mom decided that "her son being away" was the perfect time to clean her son's room, but because no one was around to actually tell her what was what, her son nearly lost $300 in cash and gift cards he'd hidden in an old computer tower to protect it from a sister he believed was stealing from him.

Fortunately, the manager of the recycling center it'd been sent to was able to locate the machine and return it.

And people wonder why I get so upset when my mom starts going behind me and sorting through things.

We often forget how great people can be

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 6:19PM #3
CharikIeia

Being patronised is one of the worst things a human being can encounter.

$300 may not be much for a grown-up, but it's a precious treasure for such a boy...

How can the mother not consult him???

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 6:58PM #4
Idbc

Howdy

It was an "accident".  It wasn't like the mother found the money and threw it away or spent the money on herself.   

The mother did try to resolve the problem.

I think it is plauable that the reason the mother cleaned up her son's room while he was away is because he wouldn't clean it or allow her to clean it when he was there. 

If she were a perfect mother then she would have told her son what she was going to do. 

And hindsight is 20-20. 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 1:15PM #5
Stardove

Oh the days of teenagers living at home, now all four adults.  I would just close the doors and keep out of those disaster zones    Tongue Out

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:07PM #6
BDboy

Jun 22, 2012 -- 10:33AM, Erey wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:58AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

We often forget how great people can be

+1

Also $300 was his life savings??

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 3:29PM #7
DotNotInOz

Cleaning as in moving things around so that she could vacuum, dust, and the like is one thing. Emptying a wastepaper basket, also part of cleaning.

Anything else she thought needed to be discarded she should have piled up or made a list to ask her son if those items had any value for him when he returned from camp. She should NOT have gotten rid of any such objects without consulting him.

Parents too often forget that what's useless junk to adults may be a kid's treasure trove. Unless what a child is hoarding presents a health hazard, kids deserve to have what they value respected as such even though the parent regards it as worthless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 4:09PM #8
Erey

I think the important part of this story is not so much how wrong the mother might have been.  Obviously she was in error.  But rather that someone took the trouble to make things right, instead of pocketing the cash.  Also, it most likely took some efforts to figure out who dropped off the computer tower and how to locate her. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 4:35PM #9
Stardove

Jun 29, 2012 -- 4:09PM, Erey wrote:

I think the important part of this story is not so much how wrong the mother might have been.  Obviously she was in error.  But rather that someone took the trouble to make things right, instead of pocketing the cash.  Also, it most likely took some efforts to figure out who dropped off the computer tower and how to locate her. 

According to the link the mother took actions to locate the tower even going on TV.  Granted lots of people were involved in finding the tower and the money and making this a good news story. Smile

Max's mother started making phone calls. "A lot of women answered in different departments and said, 'Let me connect you with somebody,'" Ferrante told Morales. "Everybody was really willing to help." ................

But finding the lost money was like looking for a needle in a haystack — "an organized needle in a haystack," Coe said. Still, he said, "We were very happy with Max's mom that she went the distance to recycle, so we wanted to go the distance to try to help out."

Finally, after four days of fruitless searching, one of Coe's employees "came running to me into my office, 'Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...We found it! We found it! We found the kids money," said Coe.

"We contacted Max and his mom, we brought them down, we took them on a little tour of the facility," Coe told Morales. "We just wish more people would recycle like Max and his mom."

"I never thought we were going to get it back," Max told Morales. "I thought it was gone forever."

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 9:26PM #10
Erey

Jun 29, 2012 -- 4:35PM, Stardove wrote:

Jun 29, 2012 -- 4:09PM, Erey wrote:

According to the link the mother took actions to locate the tower even going on TV.  Granted lots of people were involved in finding the tower and the money and making this a good news story. Smile

Max's mother started making phone calls. "A lot of women answered in different departments and said, 'Let me connect you with somebody,'" Ferrante told Morales. "Everybody was really willing to help." ................

But finding the lost money was like looking for a needle in a haystack — "an organized needle in a haystack," Coe said. Still, he said, "We were very happy with Max's mom that she went the distance to recycle, so we wanted to go the distance to try to help out."

Finally, after four days of fruitless searching, one of Coe's employees "came running to me into my office, 'Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...We found it! We found it! We found the kids money," said Coe.

"We contacted Max and his mom, we brought them down, we took them on a little tour of the facility," Coe told Morales. "We just wish more people would recycle like Max and his mom."

"I never thought we were going to get it back," Max told Morales. "I thought it was gone forever."

interesting, Thanks

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook