Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Green energy speeding up in Europe
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 8:17PM #1
CharikIeia

Today, a new contract was signed between German and Norwegian power providers to develop infrastructure for buffering German wind and solar electric power in Norwegian hydroelectric facilities, this way enhancing green energy and reducing weather dependence of power supply in both countries. Norway already has such contracts with Denmark, and is going to have them with the UK as well.

www.offshore.no/sak/35441_kabler_til_tys...

www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/seekabel-...

Edit: English translations:  translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=...

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=...

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 22, 2012 - 02:41PM
tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:06AM #2
solfeggio

This new electricity highway is very exciting stuff, and I sincerely hope other countries will follow their lead.

Here is more information:

renews.biz/story.php?page_id=70&news_id=...

www.spiegel.de/international/europe/norw...

www.windpowermonthly.com/news/1067499/No...

Assuming everything works out, the sea cable should be in use by 2018.

However, the nuclear pull-out might end up costing the German government, as power utility suppliers are suing the government citing loss of profits.

www.thelocal.de/money/20120613-43117.htm...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:55AM #3
Ebon

Unless something changes in public attitude soon, the US is going to get left behind in a rapidly expanding sector.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 2:01PM #4
mindis1

What I wonder is how hydroelectric dams came to be called “green energy” producers?  Don't tell the dead fish the dam is "green".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 8:18PM #5
CharikIeia

Do you happen to know about fish dying because of Nord.Link hydroelectric installations?

If so, please share!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 9:42PM #6
jane2

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:55AM, Ebon wrote:

Unless something changes in public attitude soon, the US is going to get left behind in a rapidly expanding sector.

Ebon, I enjoy your posts, but I disagree with this one. Politically we're in a weird phase right now,but phases come and go. We graduate first-rate engineers and scientists from our MITs and CalTech's, etc. My grandson, who just finished his soph year at MIT in physics, math and music, is doing a graduate-level research on stipend this summer at MIT.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 9:55PM #7
mecdukebec

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:55AM, Ebon wrote:

I have spent some interesting times along the Great Lakes (North American, not the African ones) and when driving along the roads, at night, speaking French on the Bluetooth, with the windows down, I heard some gigantic "woosh! swish!" sounds that scared the hell out of me.  I later discerned that the area is home to some of the greatest wind farms in the world.  I am not sure that China will outpace the U.S., but I do, indeed, think that it will be a close race between the wind farms in the Baltic Sea and the U.S.   Did anyone catch the Wingopublicans in the Congress telling the Pentagon to drop its alternative fuel programs lately, thanks to the Christian oil interests?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 10:37PM #8
CharikIeia

Jun 22, 2012 -- 9:42PM, jane2 wrote:

We graduate first-rate engineers and scientists from our MITs and CalTech's, etc.

For every US engineer graduating, seven engineers graduate in Asia.

There are almost as many lawyers as engineers today, in the USA.

Over the last decade, half a million engineer jobs were lost.

It's because of capitalism. Being a lawyer or a physician pays WAY better!
(To the individual I mean, not to society at large...)

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:25PM #9
jane2

Jun 22, 2012 -- 10:37PM, CharikIeia wrote:

We graduate first-rate engineers and scientists from our MITs and CalTech's, etc.

For every US engineer graduating, seven engineers graduate in Asia.

There are almost as many lawyers as engineers today, in the USA.

Over the last decade, half a million engineer jobs were lost.

It's because of capitalism. Being a lawyer or a physician pays WAY better!
(To the individual I mean, not to society at large...)

I have no statistics on Asian engineers. Many who graduate from MIT and CalTech do not graduate as engineers, but as scientists. My grandson is a good example. He will be a physicist and mathmetician ; he also composes music : all abstract. He was recruited by MIT, CalTech and Stanford. Asian students also come to the US to study. My Dad was an engineer as was his father and two uncles, but my Dad and his father made their money in industrial sales. I doubt our Jeff will ever want for anything. (He loves Boston, partially because he does not need a car and my husband's family was all New England.)

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 12:19AM #10
Ebon

Ebon, I enjoy your posts, but I disagree with this one. Politically we're in a weird phase right now,but phases come and go. We graduate first-rate engineers and scientists from our MITs and CalTech's, etc.

Sure but, given that political weirdness, where are they going to work?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook