Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View No iPad for you! Apple discriminating against Iranian-born Americans?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 7:43PM #1
CharikIeia

Strange stuff - more of the "Americans are one weird people" type...

Does Apple Actually Understand The Export Restriction Laws?

Judging by this story you might think that they don’t. For an Apple store refused to sell an iPad to someone speaking Iranian on the grounds that they might then take it to Iran. Despite the fact that she was an American citizen and all:

An Apple Store in the US state of Georgia refused to sell an iPad to an American teenager because she spoke the Iranian language Farsi in the store. A student in the nearby city of Atlanta was also banned from buying an iPhone for the same reason, according to a report by local TV channel WSBTV.

“I just can’t sell this to you. Our countries have such bad relations,” 19-year-old Sahar Sabet was told after she tried to buy an iPad in her local Apple Store. She had been talking with her uncle in Farsi.

As it ends up Apple themselves did understand the laws while those in the actual store didn’t. She spoke to customer service and bought the machine online.

www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/06...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 7:53PM #2
REteach

There was also someone at the US ticket office who refused to sell someone from New Mexico tickets to the Olympics in the US on the grounds that only US citizens could buy them.  Apparently the moron didn't realize that New Mexico was a US state.

Unfortunately there are a lot of fools in the US. (even more unfortunately, some of them are elected officials.)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 8:03PM #3
Erey

Dat's crazy!  But I want to know how did the vendor of said Apple computers know that the customer was Iranian-American?  I mean farsi is not a language that most americans can accurately identify when they hear it spoken.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 9:38PM #4
mountain_man

I got this from a link on one of the links provided:

EXPORTS TO IRAN - In general, unless licensed by OFAC, goods, technology, or services may not be exported, reexported, sold or supplied, directly or indirectly, from the United States or by a U.S. person, wherever located, to Iran or the Government of Iran. The ban on providing services includes any brokering function from the United States or by U.S. persons, wherever located.

Does an Ipad count as "technology"?

Then I found this at this government site:

WASHINGTON – Massoud Habibion, 49, a U.S. citizen, Mohsen Motamedian, 44, a U.S. citizen, and their Costa Mesa, Calif., company, Online Micro LLC, were sentenced today in the District of Columbia in connection with a scheme to illegally export millions of dollars worth of computer-related goods from the United States to Iran through the United Arab Emirates UAE).

U.S. District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle today sentenced Habibion to 13 months in prison for conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and to defraud the United States. Judge Huvelle sentenced Motamedian to three years supervised release for obstruction of justice. Habibion and Motamedian pleaded guilty to these charges on Feb. 16, 2012.

I know there are restrictions about selling, or supplying, computers and related items, to certain countries. The store may have been right. The law is stupid, our whole policy on Iran is just plain stupid, but the store may have followed the law. The question I have; does an Ipad count?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 9:55PM #5
loveontheair

Hello,

A very good friend of mine and her family who are Persian live in LA. She has a iPad and iPhone along with her brother. I've known her and her brother for over 30 years and speak with her 2x a week. Maybe this is a isolated incident. By the way, she and her brother were both born in Tehran and are US citizens.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 10:56PM #6
TRUECHRISTIAN

Howdy

It is clear to me that a mistake-misunderstanding was made by the person or persons who refused to sell the Ipad to the Iranian American.  It is not like the person tried to by a large amount of Ipads.   I do not know if IPads qualify as "restricted technology".   I would suspect that there are IPads in Iran.   I would be willing to bet more than a dollar that the Iranians are intelligent enough to copy and make as many IPads was they want to make.  If the can copy the technology of the drone and have an Atomic Weapons program then making an IPad would be a easy.  

Since the person was able to buy the IPad on line from Apple it would appear that it is not the policy of the Apple Corporation to not sell an Ipad to an individual.  

I do find it interesting but not impossible that the salesperson would recoginize Farsi.  

Wether the salesperson at the store did not understand corporate policy or was Islamophobic I do not know.  

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 11:08PM #7
mountain_man

Jun 21, 2012 -- 10:56PM, TRUECHRISTIAN wrote:

....Wether the salesperson at the store did not understand corporate policy or was Islamophobic I do not know. 

I don't think that was the problem. Sure, fear and hatred of people from that area is real and widely persists here in America, but this was more about sending something to someone in Iran. It might be that Apple, the company and the store, were acting on a belief that sending technology to Iran is illegal.

Again, if it is; it's stupid. Our isolation, our treatment, of Iran is part of the problem. It's a vicious circle - one that Israel is all too eager to support.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 2:42AM #8
rabello

Jun 21, 2012 -- 7:43PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Strange stuff - more of the "Americans are one weird people" type...

Yep

It's not Apple who is discriminating against Iranian-Americans.  It's either the clerk in that particular store, and/or the manager of that particular store, if the clerk involved even bothered to ask a manager about the correct, non-discriminatory way to proceed.

The blog entry doesn't indicate, at all, that the woman intended to send the iPad to Iran or take it to Iran.  Instead, it sounds like the clerk (in a blood-red state, incidentally) worried that she might send it to Iran or take it to Iran.   That would be like preventing me from buying an iPad because my last name sounds Italian, and I have Italian relatives over in Italy who speak Italian to their American relatives.  Except that I am lucky because Italy is not a targetted country here in the states.

As for the clerk not understanding Farsi, probably not.  However, one does not have to be able to distinguis Farsi from Arabic in order to recognize a middle eastern language.  Perhaps the clerk asked her where she was from after hearing her speak to her uncle in something other than "English-Only"

I wish the Iranian-American would sue the store....that's the American Way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 8:20AM #9
CharikIeia

Jun 22, 2012 -- 2:42AM, rabello wrote:

I wish the Iranian-American would sue the store....that's the American Way.

LOL! True enough... Today, production is done in China, and litigation made in USA.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 8:39AM #10
IreneAdler

Jun 21, 2012 -- 8:03PM, Erey wrote:

Dat's crazy!  But I want to know how did the vendor of said Apple computers know that the customer was Iranian-American?  I mean farsi is not a language that most americans can accurately identify when they hear it spoken.

Thank you! 

I bet if the language was Arabic the same accusation would have been made.

Just stupefying the assumptions folks make about others.  I’m a risk to national security simply because of my last name.  And, folks have made recommendations to me regarding brands of rice pilaf because "you people like this type of thing". Personally,  I dislike rice pilaf.

Sheesh!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook