Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Anti-Mormon Bias Unchanged in 45 Years
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:51PM #1
TemplarS
Some really interesting things in here:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/21/bias-a...

Bias against a Mormon presidential candidate hasn’t budged in 45 years, with 18% of Americans saying they would not vote for a well-qualified candidate who happened to be Mormon, according to a Gallup Poll released Thursday.

Gallup first asked Americans about support for a Mormon presidential candidate in 1967 when Romney’s father, George Romney, was running for president. That year, 17% of Americans said they would not vote for a well-qualified Mormon for president.

“The stability of resistance to a Mormon presidential candidate over the past 45 years is an anomaly,” Gallup editor-in-chief Frank Newport wrote in a survey report, noting that “resistance to a candidate who is black, a woman, or Jewish has declined substantially over the same period of time.”

Most surprising: unlike many other aspects of bigotry- this one seems stronger among Democrats and independents:

Bias against a Mormon candidate is significantly higher among Democrats and independents than among Republicans, Gallup found.

Twenty-four percent of Democrats and 18% of independents said they would not vote for a well-qualified Mormon who was nominated by their party, while 10% of Republicans expressed such opposition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:17PM #2
mytmouse57

Liberals don't like Mormons because of LDS opposistion to gay marriage.

Conservatives don't like them, because they think Mormons follow the "wrong" Baby Jesus.

Personally, I don't care a toss about a Presidental candidate's religion. 

I'm voting for the best qualified come the election.

As of yet, I've not made up my mind. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 8:39PM #3
Erey

liberal opposition to mormonism has risen in recently.  Which is too bad because I think mormons are as a group pretty good people.  I don't plan to vote for Romney but that is no reason to disparage mormons

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:50AM #4
Ironhold

As someone who is Mormon?

America should be ashamed of itself.

Europe and Canada, too.

A lot of the popular anti-Mormon arguments floating around right now are decades, if not centuries obsolete, but they're still floating around anyway because too many people - including rank-and-file Christians - would rather bury their heads in the sand than admit they were being bigotted and ignorant towards another group of people.

In fact, the region I live in is so openly hostile towards Mormons that "having people threaten to shoot you" is an occupational hazard for the LDS missionaries who operate here.

Making matters worse, a lot of media outlets and pundits are choosing to fan the flames rather than calm the waters. For example, a month or so back ABC News accused Romney of funneling untold millions of dollars in cash and stock to the church as if it was some sort of illegal back-room deal; in reality, what happened was that Romney chose to tithe on his salary while at Bain Capital. Can you imagine what would happen if a major news broadcaster made such an argument about a Catholic or a Baptist?

Yeah.

It's just that bad, and there's not one single excuse that can justify it.

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 22, 2012 - 01:23PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:19AM #5
Ebon

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:50AM, Ironhold wrote:

Europe and Canada, too.

Hang on a sec, what did we do? If you have some data about anti-Mormon sentiment in Europe, fair enough, but it's not in the article linked in the OP.

Let me state, for the record, that I wouldn't vote for Mitt Romney. That has nothing to do with his faith and everything to do with his policies.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:27AM #6
Ironhold

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:19AM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:50AM, Ironhold wrote:

Europe and Canada, too.

Hang on a sec, what did we do? If you have some data about anti-Mormon sentiment in Europe, fair enough, but it's not in the article linked in the OP.

Let me state, for the record, that I wouldn't vote for Mitt Romney. That has nothing to do with his faith and everything to do with his policies.

You might not like to hear it, but the UK has produced quite a bit of anti-Mormon rhetoric over the years. If you look at the history of the church in the British Isles, you'll see that while Scotland more than welcomed the church, England was churning out anti-Mormon tracts as fast as it could in the hopes of counter-acting what footholds the church maintained there.

In fact, Sherlock Holmes infamously got its start due to such anti-Mormon material. The very first Holmes book made the church as a whole its villain, with Doyle later admitting that he was merely riding the wave of anti-Mormon sentiment; he'd never researched the church out beyond picking up whatever handbills he could get his hands on, and went to his grave regarding the first entry in the series as a personal embarassment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:34AM #7
Ebon

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:27AM, Ironhold wrote:

You might not like to hear it, but the UK has produced quite a bit of anti-Mormon rhetoric over the years. If you look at the history of the church in the British Isles, you'll see that while Scotland more than welcomed the church, England was churning out anti-Mormon tracts as fast as it could in the hopes of counter-acting what footholds the church maintained there.

In fact, Sherlock Holmes infamously got its start due to such anti-Mormon material. The very first Holmes book made the church as a whole its villain, with Doyle later admitting that he was merely riding the wave of anti-Mormon sentiment; he'd never researched the church out beyond picking up whatever handbills he could get his hands on, and went to his grave regarding the first entry in the series as a personal embarassment.

Sure, I know that Britain has a less than stellar record with Mormonism (I tend to give Doyle a pass on the grounds that he acknowledged his cock-up) but I'd like to hope that we've learned better in more recent times (especially since we've come to view religion as a private matter after WWI). According to the Beeb, we have around 190,000 Mormons here. If there's still a lot of anti-Mormon sentiment in the UK, I honestly didn't know about it.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:38AM #8
Ironhold

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:34AM, Ebon wrote:

Sure, I know that Britain has a less than stellar record with Mormonism (I tend to give Doyle a pass on the grounds that he acknowledged his cock-up) but I'd like to hope that we've learned better in more recent times (especially since we've come to view religion as a private matter after WWI). According to the Beeb, we have around 190,000 Mormons here. If there's still a lot of anti-Mormon sentiment in the UK, I honestly didn't know about it.

"Mormon Apologetic Scholarship and Evangelical Neglect: Losing The Battle And Not Even Knowing It" by Mosser & Owen.

Old anti-Mormon arguments don't die; they just keep getting recycled.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the old rhetoric is still flowing around where you live, albeit confined to whispers, closed rooms, and "counter-cult" organizations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:42AM #9
Ebon

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:38AM, Ironhold wrote:

"Mormon Apologetic Scholarship and Evangelical Neglect: Losing The Battle And Not Even Knowing It" by Mosser & Owen.

Old anti-Mormon arguments don't die; they just keep getting recycled.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the old rhetoric is still flowing around where you live, albeit confined to whispers, closed rooms, and "counter-cult" organizations.

Well, then, I apologise on behalf of my country. I know there's a fair few Mormons around here (partly because they often have incredibly polite people witnessing in the mall) but I've never heard any particular bias against them. I stand by the opinion that if a religion doesn't involve breaking any laws, it's none of anyone else's business.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 9:06AM #10
TemplarS

Jun 21, 2012 -- 6:17PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Liberals don't like Mormons because of LDS opposistion to gay marriage.

Surely there is more to it than that.

A whole lot of religious groups formally oppose gay marriage, including the Southern Baptist Convention, the Roman Catholic Church, and the United Methodist Church, which are the largest denominations in the country.

But for those denominations fair-minded people (which is what, in the main, liberals and independents claim to pride themselves on being) are willing to look at the individual candidate's record and capabilities and stance on the issues.  Why should Mormons be different?  Can you imagine the uproar and the humiliation if a poll showed that 25% of Democrats would not vote for a Muslim whereas only 10% of Republicans would not?

For the record I do not like Mr. Romney either and will not vote for him, but this has nothing to do with his religion. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook