Page 23 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Switch to Forum Live View Anti-Mormon Bias Unchanged in 45 Years
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 9:59PM #221
Ironhold

Jul 17, 2012 -- 8:10PM, li47 wrote:

Ironhold, can you explain what misery and inconvenience this has caused your congregation? I looked at the google map, and satellite view, and I see a road that while a dead end, has 4 access points onto it from other arteries.

It's a residential area, and so with people parking in the street the road is, effectively, only a single lane; even the strip between the parking lot and the intersection with Diane can have severe traffic flow issues when church lets out.

What's more, the intersection of Virginia and Diane is a school bus stop. If the bus drivers take the intersection from the wrong direction then they have to U-turn in the church's parking lot. Given that the busses run through that area at the same time seminary goes on, there's always a risk of a bus and a kid colliding.

Also, Keb asked a reasonable question regarding any record that would confirm your assertion - for example, city council minutes. Are there any available?

Up until just recently, the entire city council has made it a point to keep everything illegal firmly off the record unless they could arrange for a kangaroo court to conceal everything.

In other words, given that the entire city council was packed with anti-Mormons at the time, this was a back room deal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 11:18PM #222
li47
Hmm, from your description, it sounds as the local residents might have to deal with the bulk of the inconvenience.

Up until just recently, the entire city council has made it a point to keep everything illegal firmly off the record unless they could arrange for a kangaroo court to conceal everything.

In other words, given that the entire city council was packed with anti-Mormons at the time, this was a back room deal.

This sounds as if it's pure speculation on your part, then.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 11:42PM #223
Ironhold

Jul 17, 2012 -- 11:18PM, li47 wrote:

Hmm, from your description, it sounds as the local residents might have to deal with the bulk of the inconvenience.

Up until just recently, the entire city council has made it a point to keep everything illegal firmly off the record unless they could arrange for a kangaroo court to conceal everything. In other words, given that the entire city council was packed with anti-Mormons at the time, this was a back room deal.

Actually, up until a few mayors ago the town was just that corrupt; anyone who didn't participate in the "good-old-boy" network was eliminated as soon as feasible. There was even a major scandal a few years ago in which the city council hauled the mayor in front of a kangaroo court (led by a city councilman who had just recently threatened his own staffers with a gun) based on a made-up charge just so they could throw him out and force a new election in the hopes that one of their own would get the seat.

I've spoken with members who were around when the building was established, and every last one of them has come up with that as the general conclusion: when the city council realized that they couldn't stop the church from being built, they halted the road construction out of spite.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 2:00AM #224
Habala?!

Jul 17, 2012 -- 11:42PM, Ironhold wrote:

Up until just recently, the entire city council has made it a point to keep everything illegal firmly off the record unless they could arrange for a kangaroo court to conceal everything. In other words, given that the entire city council was packed with anti-Mormons at the time, this was a back room deal.

Actually, up until a few mayors ago the town was just that corrupt; anyone who didn't participate in the "good-old-boy" network was eliminated as soon as feasible. There was even a major scandal a few years ago in which the city council hauled the mayor in front of a kangaroo court (led by a city councilman who had just recently threatened his own staffers with a gun) based on a made-up charge just so they could throw him out and force a new election in the hopes that one of their own would get the seat.

I've spoken with members who were around when the building was established, and every last one of them has come up with that as the general conclusion: when the city council realized that they couldn't stop the church from being built, they halted the road construction out of spite.

People say you're speculating and you offer anecdotes to prove you're not?

Wow, just wow.

You see an anti-Mormon conspiracy under every rock.You seem to think that all non-Mormons are anti-Mormons.

Sources, Iron, sources. Credible ones, which means not you and your anecdotes.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 9:33AM #225
mecdukebec

Jul 18, 2012 -- 2:00AM, Habala?! wrote:

Jul 17, 2012 -- 11:42PM, Ironhold wrote:

People say you're speculating and you offer anecdotes to prove you're not?

Wow, just wow.

You see an anti-Mormon conspiracy under every rock.You seem to think that all non-Mormons are anti-Mormons.

Sources, Iron, sources. Credible ones, which means not you and your anecdotes.

Maybe a way to blame McConkie for this case of aporia is in order?  Wink

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 23 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook