Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Voter Registration Mailed to Dead Dog
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 6:48AM #1
Ironhold
you just can't make this stuff up.

Mozart Morris, a dog who died two years ago, just received a voter registration form in the mail.

His former owner is, understandably, quite displeased by the matter, and is presently wondering just how his dog's name wound up on the group's mailing list.

Anyone else thinking that "cleaning the voter rolls" sounds good right about now?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 7:40AM #2
CharikIeia

LOL! If this fabricated case makes a difference to you, you're part of the problem, not the solution. But it's amazing to see how in the absence of a meaningful government, nothing works well, right? Not even voter registration.

My proposal: use the mandatory public healthcare ID for identifying yourself when voting.
They won't insure dogs, big intrusive gubmint! You'll see it works!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 11:27AM #3
TemplarS

"Mozart Morris"?

Gotta be a Democrat... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 7:20PM #4
Ebon

Jun 20, 2012 -- 6:48AM, Ironhold wrote:

you just can't make this stuff up.

Mozart Morris, a dog who died two years ago, just received a voter registration form in the mail.

His former owner is, understandably, quite displeased by the matter, and is presently wondering just how his dog's name wound up on the group's mailing list.

Anyone else thinking that "cleaning the voter rolls" sounds good right about now?

No because cleaning the voter rools always ends up removing eligible voters. Yes, cock-ups like this happen on occasion but even so, voter fraud barely exists. Mozart Morris is not going to be turning up at the polls and putting a paw print besides his candidate of choice.

That said, the way the US does voter registration seems insane to me. Here, you're automatically registered to vote as soon as you turn eighteen. It's tracked through your National Insurance number (our version of Social Security) and just before each election, polling cards are sent out to everyone eligible to vote. That card has your full legal name and your polling station on it. You go to your polling station, hand the registrar your polling card (not compulsary but makes life easier for the volunteers overseeing things), they cross your name off the big list of names they have of everyone eligible in that district. They hand you a polling paper, you go in the booth and put a cross next to your preferred name/option, fold it and drop it in a big steel box.

At the end of the night, the steel boxes are dumped out on a big table and local volunteers of the highest character count the ballots by hand, watched by a volunteer from each party (who can object at any time but rarely do since a pencil cross is pretty straightforward), the local returning officer and at least two coppers (a duty much loved by coppers because it's in the warm and dry). In many districts, you can watch the whole process via streaming video on the council's website. We usually know who's won within five or six hours (except for the most recent election because it was incredibly close).

That said, we also don't have primaries here (the leader of each party is automatically their nomination for PM) and because registration is automatic, no party is declared on your registration.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 10:20PM #5
mountain_man

Jun 20, 2012 -- 6:48AM, Ironhold wrote:

...Anyone else thinking that "cleaning the voter rolls" sounds good right about now?

This has nothing to do with the voter roles. They only reason they are being "cleaned" is to remove those that are likely to vote Democratic. A much better term would be that the voter roles are being ethnically cleansed.

Do you know how they decide if your name is to be removed? If it is the same as a convict in Texas. That means is there is one person with the last name of Greene, or Rodriguez, or any of thousands of other names, in prison in Texas then everyone with that name in Florida will be taken off the voter roles.

And the fools in Florida are defending that!

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 10:30PM #6
farragut

" If it is the same as a convict in Texas. That means is there is one person with the last name of Greene, or Rodriguez, or any of thousands of other names, in prison in Texas then everyone with that name in Florida will be taken off the voter roles."

I hope you can defend that claim.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 10:45PM #7
Do_unto_others

Jun 20, 2012 -- 11:27AM, TemplarS wrote:

"Mozart Morris"?

Gotta be a Democrat... 

Why does it "gotta" be a D?

Someone had to request or attempt to register the animal. And, the ONLY identified example in the linked story was ... wait for it ...

"Albuquerque resident Thomas Tolbert registered his dog Buddy to vote after grabbing a registration card from a booth on the University of New Mexico campus in March. Tolbert, a Republican, said he wanted to see how easy it would be to register the dog"

Hmmm.

'Wanna' rethink that 'gotta'?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 11:17PM #8
mountain_man

Jun 20, 2012 -- 10:30PM, farragut wrote:

" If it is the same as a convict in Texas. That means is there is one person with the last name of Greene, or Rodriguez, or any of thousands of other names, in prison in Texas then everyone with that name in Florida will be taken off the voter roles."

I hope you can defend that claim.

Uh.... that's not a "claim" but taken directly from the litigation. Here's one article. Don't take my word for it though, educate yourself and do a search with the words; "Florida voter rolls Texas convicts."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 10:13AM #9
BDboy

"Mozart Morris"?

Gotta be a Democrat... 

:-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:38PM #10
TemplarS

Jun 20, 2012 -- 10:45PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

"Mozart Morris"?

Gotta be a Democrat... 

Why does it "gotta" be a D?

Someone had to request or attempt to register the animal. And, the ONLY identified example in the linked story was ... wait for it ...

"Albuquerque resident Thomas Tolbert registered his dog Buddy to vote after grabbing a registration card from a booth on the University of New Mexico campus in March. Tolbert, a Republican, said he wanted to see how easy it would be to register the dog"

Hmmm.

'Wanna' rethink that 'gotta'?

No.

It was a joke. 

I'll spell it out: can you even conceive of a red-blooded hard-ass Republican named "Mozart Morris"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook