Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Uh-oh - She Said the 'V' Word
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 12:26AM #1
solfeggio
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/15...

Michigan State Representative Lisa Brown, a Democrat, was barred from the floor of the Michigan State Legislature Thursday for using the word 'vagina.'  She was arguing against a package of abortion regulation bills before the Legislature.

www.detroitnews.com/article/20120614/POL...

The Floor Leader said that Brown's comments 'violated the decorum of the house.'

Another representative, Barb Byrum, was also banned from the floor for talking about vasectomies.

This week, the Michigan State Legislature passed a slate of hard-line anti-abortion bills.

reason.com/blog/2012/06/15/four-reasons-...    

So, are they hoping to go back to the bad old pre-Roe v Wade days, or what? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 8:47AM #2
Fodaoson

Many State legislators stupidity is exceeded only by some at the national level.   I guest h cannot use their own congressman Gary Peters( 9th MI), or former VP Dick Cheney. Or Senator Dick Durbin . Wonder if this post will be edited if I mention my two cats,  Bigun ,a tom cat and middy a pussy cat.  How can any law concerning  abortion be written without the word vagina?  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 1:36PM #3
mainecaptain

Jun 16, 2012 -- 12:26AM, solfeggio wrote:

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/15...

Michigan State Representative Lisa Brown, a Democrat, was barred from the floor of the Michigan State Legislature Thursday for using the word 'vagina.'  She was arguing against a package of abortion regulation bills before the Legislature.

www.detroitnews.com/article/20120614/POL...

The Floor Leader said that Brown's comments 'violated the decorum of the house.'

Another representative, Barb Byrum, was also banned from the floor for talking about vasectomies.

This week, the Michigan State Legislature passed a slate of hard-line anti-abortion bills.

reason.com/blog/2012/06/15/four-reasons-...    

So, are they hoping to go back to the bad old pre-Roe v Wade days, or what? 

Republican white men want to legislate womens bodies, but don't want women to legislate theirs, or have power over their own.

It is men working hard to remove the rights women have gained over the years. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with life or abortion. It is "how dare women have a say over their own life" Soon we will hear a call to remove the voting rights of women. I am waiting.

She was suspended because she dared to speak, with out nodding in full agreement to the men.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 1:48PM #4
mytmouse57

Jun 16, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Fodaoson wrote:

Many State legislators stupidity is exceeded only by some at the national level.   I guest h cannot use their own congressman Gary Peters( 9th MI), or former VP Dick Cheney. Or Senator Dick Durbin . Wonder if this post will be edited if I mention my two cats,  Bigun ,a tom cat and middy a pussy cat.  How can any law concerning  abortion be written without the word vagina?  

Maybe they should just say "winky" and "whoo-hoo."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 4:48PM #5
Cesmom

"Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, said the decision to bar Brown from speaking was not her reference to the female anatomy, but her conduct.

'My concern was the decorum of the House, not of anything she said,' Stamas told the newspaper. 'I ask all members to maintain a decorum of the House, and I felt it went too far yesterday.'"

I don't think she went too far at all.  If our representatives aren't allowed to get a little passionate to prove a point, then that's pretty sad.  

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 10:57AM #6
REteach

When the appropriate medical term for a body part in question lacks decorum, someone needs to be removed from the floor of the house for lacking a brain.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 10:58AM #7
REteach

Couldn't happen in Kansas, though, because they banned Sharia law.  Apparently Christian Sharia is a live and well in Michigan.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 1:54PM #8
Stardove

Silenced Mich. lawmaker does 'Vagina Monologues'

LANSING, Mich.  -  A state lawmaker who says she was barred from speaking in the Michigan House because Republicans objected to her saying "vagina" during debate over anti-abortion legislation performed "The Vagina Monologues" on the Statehouse steps — with a hand from the author.

Eve Ensler, whose groundbreaking play about women's sexuality still packs theaters 16 years after it debuted, oversaw Monday night's performance by Democratic state Rep. Lisa Brown, 10 other lawmakers and several actresses.

More at the link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 3:43PM #9
Find1Answer

Love the audience

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 3:56PM #10
mytmouse57

Personally, I think the Rep. in question acted/is acting like an obnoxious, pissed-off teenager. 

That said, the powers that be are equally silly. Legislators should be allowed to be obnoxious. As the old saying goes, give 'em enough rope...

If well enough had been left alone, she might very well have torpedoed herself with her own snotty tirade. (The validity of her point being lost in the delivery.)

But as it is, the entire episode has just blown up into a huge sympathy card for her to play. And playing it she is. 

No need to boot somebody out because they're not playing nice, so to speak. That's ulta-uptight and silly, IMO. 

In the end, a foolish over-reaction to something foolish just made bigger fools. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook