Switch to Forum Live View Good News and Hope: Aung San Suu Kyi
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 3:23PM #1
TemplarS
www.cnn.com/2012/06/13/world/europe/myan...

Aung San Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace prize in 1991.

Now, after two decades of house arrest, she is finally free to go and accept it.

In a time where we constantly hear of government abuses in Syria and Iran, China, Sudan,  North Korea, West Africa-  it is heartening to hear of at least one place where things have changed for the better.

I think things are not yet perfect in Burma; the generals are still there.  But one would think this development might give some small measure of hope to others still struggling under the worst of dictatorships.

There have been positive responses from the international community, and one hopes also that this continues. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 3:56PM #2
mecdukebec

I wondered if her first trip to Thailand would find her banned from returning to Myanmar.  This has been one of the more, albeit tenuous, as you noted, successes of the international community and the Obama Administration.  China's not too happy, and there in lies Myanmar's opening to the West. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 2:31PM #3
BDboy

Jun 13, 2012 -- 3:23PM, TemplarS wrote:

www.cnn.com/2012/06/13/world/europe/myan...

Aung San Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace prize in 1991.

Now, after two decades of house arrest, she is finally free to go and accept it.

In a time where we constantly hear of government abuses in Syria and Iran, China, Sudan,  North Korea, West Africa-  it is heartening to hear of at least one place where things have changed for the better.

I think things are not yet perfect in Burma; the generals are still there.  But one would think this development might give some small measure of hope to others still struggling under the worst of dictatorships.

There have been positive responses from the international community, and one hopes also that this continues. 

>>>>>>>> I am very happy for Ms. Kyi but while she is heading for Europe to give a speech, the "Generals" started a new wave of human right abuse inside Myanmar.

The Rohingas live in the western province of Myanmar and have been under serious persecution for many decades by Myanmar leaders. Now they are being "Used" to stir up political unrest and Ms. Kyi has not said anything against such gross abuse of human rights.

I was full of hope for people of Myanmar but it looks like the army generals will not get off so easily. Let us watch what new excuse they use to stay in power a little longer. An artilce wrote the following about this new wave of violence against Rohingas. ...

..... But the timing of the riots against the Rohingyas is quite worrying. Many see this as a ploy by the entrenched military to keep Suu Kyi under political pressure. She cannot overtly support the Rohingyas for then she may lose support of Buddhists there. But she cannot at the same time afford to ignore the human rights violations of the Rohingyas. This will bring condemnation from the international community. She has therefore to find a solution to this question with the authorities there soon.

[ Source: www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-deta... ]

For more information, please click on the link below.

uscampaignforburma.org/rohingya-people-o...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 10:25PM #4
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook