Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View PC Liberals Strike Again
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 12:08PM #1
Marcion
The liberal imbeciles won't rest until they strip us of all ourbasic rights as Americans.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-rickl...

Rickles Obama joke is pablum compared to some of his other barbs at past presidents such as on the Dean Martin roasts, but again, they weren't black. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 12:16PM #2
Cesmom

Jun 13, 2012 -- 12:08PM, Marcion wrote:

The liberal imbeciles won't rest until they strip us of all ourbasic rights as Americans.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-rickl...

Rickles Obama joke is pablum compared to some of his other barbs at past presidents such as on the Dean Martin roasts, but again, they weren't black. 

I think you have to be somewhat PC as a television network, or you risk alienating viewers.  Obviously, race has been a highly discussed issue with this president.  They need to consider the climate and how it will be taken by the majority of viewers.  

I can appreciate some politically incorrect humor as much as the next person, but in this case, I think it's a smart move not to air the comment. 

And this has nothing to do with stripping rights.  The network has the right to air the content...they simply choose not to.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 12:41PM #3
TPaine

Given what was written in the Update to the story this appears to be much ado about nothing.

UPDATED AT 10PM PT: "He is not being censored," Rickles' rep tells THR. "Before all of this started, we knew Don's spot would be cut a bit for time, as would others, including possibly Shirley herself since the show ran over and we knew it was likely that might be edited. This is a non-story and requires no further comment."

The United States economy is like a poker game where the chips have become concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, and where the other fellows can stay in the game only by borrowing. When their credit runs out the game will stop. -- Marriner Eccles: Beckoning Frontiers (1951)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 1:17PM #4
TemplarS

I didn't find the joke funny.

Jokes that refer to racial stereotypes serve no purpose other than to reinforce such stereotypes, even if said in fun and even if the specifc recipient doesn't have a problem with it.

Mr. Rickels obviously has the right to tell such a joke; and the media has the right to air it.  But they have no obligation to air it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 1:56PM #5
Erey

I love bawdy humor as a rule.  I don't blame the networks.  But I do think it is another example of the sickness of our society, our sort of double speak around racial issues.  We will be a truly post-racial society when we can actually say these kinds of things without having to hear the oppinions of all the ladies on The View and other talking heads trying to decide for us if we should be offended.

I categorize this under: white liberals telling other white people what they can and can't say.

This is not the funniest joke or the most offensive, but also this is not the biggest display of liberal hypocricy either.  Sort of no big deal

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:07PM #6
CharikIeia

Jun 13, 2012 -- 1:17PM, TemplarS wrote:

I didn't find the joke funny.

Jokes that refer to racial stereotypes serve no purpose other than to reinforce such stereotypes, even if said in fun and even if the specifc recipient doesn't have a problem with it.

My host nation here disagrees.

The Dutch have had a public debate about this, sort of. They by majority tend to agree that when you play with stereotypes in irony and parody, this can be grand humour of the finest kind, not just bawdy (as Erey suggested to be acceptable).

Now, I have no idea if that particular joke was funny or not.

Humour has the problem that it presupposes very much, culturally speaking. E.g., when in Europe, you show a person eating dinner with fork in the right hand, knife in the left hand, that is a cue for showing an American. Did you know that?

Americans have a preference for sarcasm as "humour proxy", sort of. I have problems with that, as sarcasm comes across to me, the Prussian, as a particular form of dishonesty, of not saying what you actually believe to be true.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:20PM #7
Idbc

Howdy

It is as racist as calling Pres. Obama "Chocolate Jesus". 

Don Rickles is an "insult comedian".  I have heard him make racists jokes about other so-called races. 

I have heard more than one African American make "racists" jokes not about caucasians but about other African Americans. 

Pres. Obama is a public figure and is fair game.  

So long as people maintain the delusion that there are "different" races then "racisim" will continue.

Social racism is a construct and a myth.  It must be de-constructed and de-mythologized.   

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 4:15PM #8
arielg

He is just being  Rickles.  Treating racism as some sort of sacred cow that should not be talked about and  kept secret contributes more to hidden racism than openly mocking it with jokes.  It does more  to difuse the issue that hiding it and pretend it doesn't exist, because it is not mentioned.

Young blacks use "nigger" among themselves  precisely for that reason: to take away  the emotional crap associated with it and diminish it's power to offend. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 5:41PM #9
Roodog

I read this from a rabbi:

"Keep family jokes within the family." meaning it is okay for people to joke about their own people.

Chris Rock can joke about Blacks and Jeff Foxworthy can joke about Southern Whites; It is equally wrong for the two to exchange material.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 6:50PM #10
DotNotInOz

Jun 13, 2012 -- 2:07PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Humour has the problem that it presupposes very much, culturally speaking. E.g., when in Europe, you show a person eating dinner with fork in the right hand, knife in the left hand, that is a cue for showing an American. Did you know that?

No, I didn't but doesn't surprise me since Americans use knife and fork weirdly, I think, even though I am a native American.

I learned to eat what's known in the U.S. as continental style when I was a senior in high school, taught that by a Swedish exchange student. It's very much more efficient, requiring no switching one's fork from left to right hand ridiculously.

That said, I'm beyond tired of such presumed censorship being blamed upon liberals. Check the stats, and you'll find that far more liberals than conservatives support organizations such as the ACLU which fight for freedom of speech, and it isn't the liberals who typically push for censoring reading materials either.

What some label "politically correct" others regard as simply polite language. It depends upon one's interpretation of what is tasteful and appropriate in a particular context.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook