Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Indiana Law: Shooting Public Officials OK Under Certain Circumstances
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 9:35AM #1
Ironhold
link

After a state supreme court decision determined that home owners had "no right" to protect themselves against unlawful entry of their houses or vehicles by public officials, the state has just passed a law stating that if a public servant does go rogue and attempt to enter your house illegally you can defend yourself, up to and including with lethal force.

The law is, obviously, touching off some major debates, as there is a fear that some people will just use it as an excuse to go off and shoot whoever they want. Others, however, are taking a more reasonable approach, such as a sheriff who instructed his plainclothes officers that they aren't to approach a house or vehicle solo until the department knows how things will play out (they must have a uniformed officer with them when they do).

Sadly, folks, I've seen some bad cops out there. This includes a campus cop at my high school who came to work with a hangover.

I highly doubt that this law will be needed in 99.99% of encounters, but there's always that 0.01% where things just aren't kosher.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 9:49AM #2
TemplarS

I think the bigger problem isn't rogue cops or bad cops, but simple incompetence.

Cops break down the doors of the wrong house all the time.  There was a case in NYC where they did this to the wrong apartment (I suppose they were looking for a drug dealer next door) and the woman inside died of a heart attack. 

Who is accountable for this?   Now, nobody.  You would think the thought of a shotgun in the face might cause these people to be more careful; but the problem with that is that it isn't always the police who enter who make the mistake, maybe the paperwork had the wrong address.  So shooting first isn't always a good idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 10:46AM #3
teilhard

It's essentially another Version of, "Stand Your Ground," isn't it ... ???

What's next ... ???  

You're allowed to shoot a "Black Helicopter" out of the Sky because you were afraid that it was full of Blue-Helmet U. N. Invaders coming to take YOU to The Concentration Camp in Wyoming ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 11:17AM #4
Ebon

America, did you ever think it might be a good idea to not shoot people?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 11:28AM #5
teilhard

But ...

What's the bloody Point of having all those Guns and Ammo if we're not allowed to USE 'em ... ???

Jun 13, 2012 -- 11:17AM, Ebon wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 11:33AM #6
Girlchristian

Of course, but if someone has entered a home illegally with intent to hurt the resident do you suggest they just let it happen and not defend themselves?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 11:37AM #7
teilhard

I'm guessing that *somewhere* in Amerika some Architect-to-the-Wealthy has already designed a House that can be entered only through a VERY Secure "Sally Port," which can be flooded with Poison Gas if an Intruder gets in through the Outer Door ...

Jun 13, 2012 -- 11:33AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Of course, but if someone has entered a home illegally with intent to hurt the resident do you suggest they just let it happen and not defend themselves?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:06PM #8
Nepenthe

Jun 13, 2012 -- 9:49AM, TemplarS wrote:

Who is accountable for this?   Now, nobody.  You would think the thought of a shotgun in the face might cause these people to be more careful; but the problem with that is that it isn't always the police who enter who make the mistake, maybe the paperwork had the wrong address.  So shooting first isn't always a good idea.

No, it is not a good idea, but it is also not a justifiable reason to send a person to jail for years on end because they thought they were defending their home and family.  Ryan Frederick could have used a law like this in Virginia.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:07PM #9
Nepenthe

Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:46AM, teilhard wrote:

It's essentially another Version of, "Stand Your Ground," isn't it ... ???

No, it really isn't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:17PM #10
Nepenthe

From the link, some officer that is interviewed gives this little bit of insanity:

"If I pull over a car and I walk up to it and the guy shoots me, he's going to say, 'Well, he was trying to illegally enter my property,'¤" said Hubbard, 40, who is president of the Jeffersonville Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 100. "Somebody is going get away with killing a cop because of this law."

No, your dashcam will clearly show that this guy commits murder.  That a person can think that this law would justify something like this is pretty incompetent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook