Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View 10 Facts Everyone Should Know About New York City’s ‘Stop-And-Frisk’ Policy
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 3:55PM #41
TemplarS

Farragut, whoever said that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:05PM #42
TPaine

Jun 21, 2012 -- 3:21PM, farragut wrote:

So a kid is seen rummaging around my backyard at 6:13 A.M. He pelts my car with eggs, stomps on the lid of the kid's sandbox, messes with the hose, rings the doorbell, and flees.  If he is black, I am supposed to ignore it.

You absolutely should not ignore it whoever the perpetrator is, but if you see a black kid walking down the street you shouldn't assume that he is going to do the things you mentioned just because he is black. Probable cause requires more evidence than skin color.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:38PM #43
TemplarS

So here's the deal.

Farragut calls the cops on the kid. They show up and cruise the neighborhood. They see a black kid walking away, they would certainly be justified stopping him for questioning.

But if they see a black kid in the neighborhood the next day, or week, or month?  How long is every black kid a suspect?

This is the grey area in how the law is enforced.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 8:07PM #44
farragut

Horseshit. ain't going to report nothing or talk with anybody. I know the boy, his Momma, and his granddad. If I talk with them he gets pissed.  My family and my few possessions are all vulnerable. This boy was brought up under the curse of Spock; his behaviors bring him no pain. I must just be patient for the next several years until he's gone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 4:31AM #45
shmuelgoldstein

Jun 21, 2012 -- 8:07PM, farragut wrote:

.. Horseshit. ain't going to report nothing or talk with anybody. ...

And by doing that, you let him get away with it.

Big mistake, Farragut.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 4:36AM #46
shmuelgoldstein

Jun 21, 2012 -- 5:38PM, TemplarS wrote:

... So here's the deal.

Farragut calls the cops on the kid. They show up and cruise the neighborhood. They see a black kid walking away, they would certainly be justified stopping him for questioning. 

One hundred percent agree, IF the neighborhood is not black. After all, the kid likely does not live there. So what *is* he doing there?

But if most of the people (including Farragut, say) of the neighborhood are black, then there is less reason to stop this kid vs. any other kid.

Another but: if the neighborhood is mostly black, and they see a white kid walking away, then in that case I think the police would be justified in stopping him for questioning.

It works both ways.

Race can be one of the many criteria for stopping a person, depending on the situation.

And if upon questioning the person (to continue our example), more things crop up like where the kid was at a certain time, or if he has egg stuff on his hands, or he can't give a good reason as to why he is in the neighborhood, or he can't say that he lives there, or if he says he does live there, he gives an address that can't be right, or if he was close to where Farragut lives, etc. etc. etc. ..... and then the kicker : Farragut shows up and identifies the kid as the one who did it. . . well, all of this together seems like "probable cause" to me. And it all started because the cops stopped this kid just because his race did not jibe with that of the residents of the neighborhood.

It is time we get out of our bullshit PC world and return to real life. Race is part of a person's description, as are height, weight, gender, eye color, dress, age, and many many more aspects. All of these aspects can, and should, be used to provide a profile of a potential criminal in certain situations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 12:28PM #47
TPaine

Jun 24, 2012 -- 4:36AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

Jun 21, 2012 -- 5:38PM, TemplarS wrote:

... So here's the deal.

One hundred percent agree, IF the neighborhood is not black. After all, the kid likely does not live there. So what *is* he doing there?

But if most of the people (including Farragut, say) of the neighborhood are black, then there is less reason to stop this kid vs. any other kid.

Another but: if the neighborhood is mostly black, and they see a white kid walking away, then in that case I think the police would be justified in stopping him for questioning.

It works both ways.

Race can be one of the many criteria for stopping a person, depending on the situation.

And if upon questioning the person (to continue our example), more things crop up like where the kid was at a certain time, or if he has egg stuff on his hands, or he can't give a good reason as to why he is in the neighborhood, or he can't say that he lives there, or if he says he does live there, he gives an address that can't be right, or if he was close to where Farragut lives, etc. etc. etc. ..... and then the kicker : Farragut shows up and identifies the kid as the one who did it. . . well, all of this together seems like "probable cause" to me. And it all started because the cops stopped this kid just because his race did not jibe with that of the residents of the neighborhood.

It is time we get out of our bullshit PC world and return to real life. Race is part of a person's description, as are height, weight, gender, eye color, dress, age, and many many more aspects. All of these aspects can, and should, be used to provide a profile of a potential criminal in certain situations.

This isn't about looking for the perpetrator of a crime. It's about stopping and frisking people because a given cop thinks they may commit a crime in the future. Statistics do not justify the idea that 85% of blacks and Hispanics are likely to commit crimes while only 15% of whites are.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 12:49AM #48
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement