Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 10 Facts Everyone Should Know About New York City’s ‘Stop-And-Frisk’ Policy
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 2:08PM #1
TPaine
    1. In 2011, NYC officers made 685,724 stops as part of the “stop-and-frisk” policy. Of that group, 605,328 people were determined not to have engaged in any unlawful behavior. [NYCLU]

2. Only 5.37% of all stops in a recent five-year period resulted in an arrest. In short, many people stopped did nothing wrong. [NYT, 5/17/12]

3. In 2009, 36% of the time officer failed to list an acceptable “suspected crime.” Reasonable suspicion of a crime is required to make a stop. [NYT, 5/17/12]

4. More than half of all stops last year were conducted “because the individual displayed ‘furtive movement’ — which is so vague as to be meaningless.” [NYT, 5/14/12]

5. Of those frisked in 2011, a weapon was found just 1.9% of the time. Frisks are supposed to be conducted “only when an officer reasonably suspects the person has a weapon.” [NYCLU]

6. 85% of those stopped were black or Hispanic even though those groups make up about half of NYC’s population. [NYT, 5/17/12]

7. Young black and Latino men account for 4.7% of NYC’s population but 41.6% of the stops in 2011. [NYCLU]

8. The number of stops involving young black men in 2011 (168,124) exceed the city’s population of young black men (158,406).[NYT, 5/15/12]

9. Even in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods, police stopped more blacks than whites.[NYT, 5/15/12]

10. In 2012, police are on pace to make more than 800,000 stops, more than twice the population of Miami. [NYT, 5/15/12] Link
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 2:58PM #2
mainecaptain

I wish I could say I was shocked. I am disappointed. I use to like New York. Now I don't think I would feel safe there.

It is clearly profiling although I am sure they would scream it was not.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 3:55PM #3
farragut

Thirteen thousand firearms were taken off the street?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 4:26PM #4
browbeaten

NYC.   The number 1 Terrorist Attraction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 5:05PM #5
Erey

Wow, did not know about this.  Is this another Bloomberg initiative?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 6:36PM #6
TPaine

Jun 11, 2012 -- 3:55PM, farragut wrote:

Thirteen thousand firearms were taken off the street?

Given the proliferation of guns nationwide in the past few years and the fact that there are over 8 million people living in NYC, 13,000 firearms doesn't even rate as a trickle. I'm surprised they didn't find more.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:01AM #7
shmuelgoldstein

So, more than 80,000 people were determined to have engaged in some sort of unlawful activity?

Good job, NY's finest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 1:32PM #8
mainecaptain

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:01AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

So, more than 80,000 people were determined to have engaged in some sort of unlawful activity?

Good job, NY's finest.

You would feel differently if you were the one being harassed and abused. You like to see yourself as the one doing the profiling.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:55AM #9
shmuelgoldstein

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:32PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Good job, NY's finest.

You would feel differently if you were the one being harassed and abused. You like to see yourself as the one doing the profiling.

Uh, no.

It's happened to me more than once in different frameworks, and I took it in stride knowing that it's for the better good.

And no, I do not like to see myself as doing the profiling.

The security of society in general is more important than any one individual's feelings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 6:53AM #10
BDboy

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:32PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Good job, NY's finest.

>>>>>>>> Overall NYC people have my respect. But the numbers should provoke a re-examination of the whole police process and training.

There were some disturbing news about how police are being trained in NYC few months ago. I am sure with the right leader, NYC will fix this issue.

Racial part has been a problem and needs time to heal old wounds. In the mean time, we have to work with the system and make it better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook