Switch to Forum Live View Commerce Secretary under investigation for car crashes
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 10:52AM #1
Ironhold
link

Commerce Secretary John Bryson is under investigation after causing two accidents on the same stretch of road; the first accident is being treated as a felony hit & run.

Bryson was taken to the hospital shortly after the second one, and claims to have had a seizure.

Either way, I don't quite see him being long for his position.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 1:13PM #2
Ebon

Jun 11, 2012 -- 10:52AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Commerce Secretary John Bryson is under investigation after causing two accidents on the same stretch of road; the first accident is being treated as a felony hit & run.

Bryson was taken to the hospital shortly after the second one, and claims to have had a seizure.

Either way, I don't quite see him being long for his position.

Which is unfair in a way. There should at least be a finding of facts before he's booted out (although, let me say, that I support the full weight of the law being dropped on him if convicted). But I guess that's the nature of modern politics.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 1:39PM #3
TemplarS

Problem is, he was found inconscious only after the second accident. What happened leading up the the first is an open question.  Apparently, alcohol was not a factor.

There are of course several  medical possibilities.  My father once had a TIA while driving; he did not cause an accident, but blacked out for about 5 seconds.  A minute later he was fine, and actually remembered nothing about it. The only reason anyone knew about it was that my mom was in the car with him when he ran the red light...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 2:16PM #4
Ebon

Jun 11, 2012 -- 1:39PM, TemplarS wrote:

Problem is, he was found inconscious only after the second accident.

My misunderstanding there, I thought he was claiming that for both accidents.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 5:07PM #5
Stardove

Commerce Secretary Bryson passed Breathalyzer test after accidents

U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson voluntarily took a Breathalyzer test after being involved in two hit-and-run accident Saturday, and the test detected no alcohol use, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said.

Capt. Mike Parker said authorities also took a blood test and are awaiting the results before determining whether to file charges in connection with the accidents in San Gabriel and Rosemead.

"If blood tests show he [the secretary of Commerce] was not under the influence, then criminal charges in the Rosemead collision would be unlikely," said Parker, whose agency is investigating the Rosemead incident. "Whether or not the collisions were the result of a medical condition is part of the investigation, which is ongoing."

I would imagine at the point the only thing that is certain is if Mr. Bryson had a seizure he will not be driving for a good while.  A "mini-stroke" is certainly not out of the question along with having a seizure.

Continued at link.

Updated article: "In addition, if someone has a seizure and loses consciousness, it has to be reported to the DMV [Department of Motor Vehicles] and usually the patient's driver's license is suspended for six months and until a doctor says it's alright to drive again," Black noted.

More at the link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 5:13PM #6
TemplarS

Jun 11, 2012 -- 2:16PM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 11, 2012 -- 1:39PM, TemplarS wrote:

Problem is, he was found inconscious only after the second accident.

My misunderstanding there, I thought he was claiming that for both accidents.

Oh, yes, I think he is claiming it for both accidents; but apparently he was coherent enough after the first to talk with the other guys and then drive off (though, evidently, not drive well).  If he had a seizure before the first accident, and knew it- you'd think the last thing he would want to do is get back in the car and drive.  That's why it sounds more like a TIA to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 7:33PM #7
Ironhold

Jun 11, 2012 -- 1:13PM, Ebon wrote:

Which is unfair in a way. There should at least be a finding of facts before he's booted out (although, let me say, that I support the full weight of the law being dropped on him if convicted). But I guess that's the nature of modern politics.

Thing is,

*If he has a heart condition, then being in what is likely a stressful job is the worst thing he can be doing right now.

*If he's having seizures, then given his likely travel schedule there's no way of knowing when or where he'll have another one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 5:44PM #8
Ironhold

It's official: he's resigning.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook