Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View U.S. Commission On Civil Rights To Investigate ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws For Racial Bias
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 7:09PM #1
TPaine
According to the Commission, there are “some indicators of racial bias” in how the laws have been implemented. From the release:

Data compiled by the Wall Street Journal shows a near-doubling of justifiable homicides from 2005-2011 in states where SYG [Stand Your Ground] has passed. Moreover, their data shows that while white killers of black victims comprises only 3.1% of all homicides, such cross-racial killing constitute 15.6% of justifiable homicides.

A separate study by the FBI found “34% of cases involving a white shooter killing a black person were deemed as a justifiable homicide. Meanwhile, in similar situations, when the shooter was black and the victim was white, the homicide was ruled justifiable only 3.3% of the time.” Link
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 7:47PM #2
REteach

Why am I so not surprised? (and I'm white...)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 8:25PM #3
mainecaptain

Unfortunately I am not surprised either. Saddened, but not surprised. And I too and white.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 8:37PM #4
arielg

Jun 10, 2012 -- 7:09PM, TPaine wrote:

According to the Commission, there are “some indicators of racial bias” in how the laws have been implemented. From the release:

Data compiled by the Wall Street Journal shows a near-doubling of justifiable homicides from 2005-2011 in states where SYG [Stand Your Ground] has passed. Moreover, their data shows that while white killers of black victims comprises only 3.1% of all homicides, such cross-racial killing constitute 15.6% of justifiable homicides.

A separate study by the FBI found “34% of cases involving a white shooter killing a black person were deemed as a justifiable homicide. Meanwhile, in similar situations, when the shooter was black and the victim was white, the homicide was ruled justifiable only 3.3% of the time.” Link

This kind of bean counting does nothing to solve any problem but keep strengthening the divisions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 8:54PM #5
mountain_man

Jun 10, 2012 -- 8:37PM, arielg wrote:

This kind of bean counting does nothing to solve any problem but keep strengthening the divisions.

Denying there is a problem doesn't solve anything either. It's best to be honest and expose the truth as distasteful as it may be. Racism is flourishing in the USA. It's systemic in certain areas and segments of our society.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 10:18PM #6
teilhard

May "God" Bless(+) the Family of Trayvon Martin for REFUSING to let these Injustices continue ...

P.S. -- I'm a "White Guy" too, and also a Gun Owner ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 10:59PM #7
farragut

As bad as is the human toll on our highways, the toll of deer thereon is far worse. Let us be honest and expose the truth as distasteful as it may be. Speciesism is flourishing in the USA. It's systemic in certain areas and segments of our society.

Or perhaps there are some other underlying reasons for different results.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 11:04PM #8
teilhard

Unfortunately for THEM, when "Deer-in-the-HeadLights" Stand THEIR Ground, it generally turns out BADLY for ALL involved ...

"Run AWAY ... !!!" IS The BEST Choice and Chance for Survival, isn't it ... ???

Jun 10, 2012 -- 10:59PM, farragut wrote:

As bad as is the human toll on our highways, the toll of deer thereon is far worse. Let us be honest and expose the truth as distasteful as it may be. Speciesism is flourishing in the USA. It's systemic in certain areas and segments of our society.

Or perhaps there are some other underlying reasons for different results.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 11:06PM #9
mountain_man

Jun 10, 2012 -- 10:59PM, farragut wrote:

...Or perhaps there are some other underlying reasons for different results.

No, in this case it is instutional, systemic, racism.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 11:35PM #10
arielg

Jun 10, 2012 -- 8:54PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 10, 2012 -- 8:37PM, arielg wrote:

Denying there is a problem doesn't solve anything either. It's best to be honest and expose the truth as distasteful as it may be. Racism is flourishing in the USA. It's systemic in certain areas and segments of our society.

No one is denying there is a problem. But "according to the Commission, there are “some indicators of racial bias” in how the laws have been implemented." Big freaking deal. Some indication of racial bias.

There are a thousand details and aspects that one could observe in any particular incident. To keep focusing on the race aspect already shows a bias, which helps to keeps fixating the race problem. 

Nothing is said  in the data studied about anyhing but the race of the people involved in it.  Nothing about any of the other circumstances.  As if  these things happen in a vacuum.

If  Al Sharpton  looks at an incident, he will first see race, because that is already in his mind. Some people seem to have adopted this way of looking.   Like  self fulfilling prophesies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook