Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Kids Pop Pills for Grades
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 7:35AM #1
Ironhold
link

Due to how pathetically easy it is for kids to get labelled "ADHD" or another such disorder, parents and children are conning doctors into getting their kids anti-anxiety medicines so that they can get better grades in school; some kids who are faking are then turning around and selling some of their pills to their fellow students.

And people wonder why I'm in such favor of home-schooling.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 1:06PM #2
REteach

When I get school reports that the kid is behaving and attending fine in school (and this happens), it undercuts the claims of drug seeking parents. Believe me, they exist.  Last week a mom with lousy parentiing skills wanted me to put her 2.5 yo on meds. Didn't happen.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 12:34AM #3
Ebon

Jun 10, 2012 -- 7:35AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Due to how pathetically easy it is for kids to get labelled "ADHD" or another such disorder, parents and children are conning doctors into getting their kids anti-anxiety medicines so that they can get better grades in school; some kids who are faking are then turning around and selling some of their pills to their fellow students.

And people wonder why I'm in such favor of home-schooling.

I'm ambivelent on home schooling myself but this is also nothing new. Back when I was studying law, quite a few of our class were popping pills of some sort to get through finals. The young ages of some of the kids doing so is a worrying trend though.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:43AM #4
Estacia

Idid not put my child on meds untill it was the last resort. She was 14 and I went through all of my options.

I would not and could not understand those whom would want to put a child as young as 2.5 yrs on meds!!!!

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Some parents want the easyvway out. Not all parents are like that though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 12:17PM #5
mindis1

Jun 10, 2012 -- 7:35AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Due to how pathetically easy it is for kids to get labelled "ADHD" or another such disorder . . .

Of course, the foremost reason it is pathetically easy to get diagnosed with “ADHD or another such disorder” is because mental disorders are neither defined nor diagnosed on the basis of objective biological measurements. Priests call the behaviors they disapprove of “sins”; psychiatrists (et al.) call the behaviors they disapprove of “mental disorders”. The members of the APA decided that “ADHD” is a mental disorder by the exact same method as they decided that “homosexuality” was a mental disorder.

There is no evidence that children and adults diagnosed with ADHD have any biochemical imbalance, and there is no evidence that amphetamines correct any biochemical imbalance.  I know of no evidence that taking amphetamines improves anyone’s behavior or grades. 

The article reports on students who snort their “addies” in their cars before class or crowding into the restrooms before a test. That sounds like great fun. It’s one of the finest achievements of the psychopharmaceutical industry to turn children who squirmed in their seats at school into teenagers who snort addies in school restrooms. Studies have shown that stimulant drug "treatment" for ADHD in childhood is associated with smoking cigarettes and cocaine abuse later in life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 12:21PM #6
mindis1

Jun 10, 2012 -- 1:06PM, REteach wrote:

When I get school reports that the kid is behaving and attending fine in school (and this happens) . . .

Personal anecdotes aside, you don’t know of any scientific evidence that taking amphetamines improves anyone’s grades in the long term, do you?  Scientific evidence would be double-blind randomized trials where there is a control group.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 5:10PM #7
Erey

Here is a study Mindis:

abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id...

I might be a bit behind the times but I was under the impression that those without ADHD become very racy and hyper on ADHD meds.  That it will calm down those kids with ADHD but speed up those kids without.  Which is why Ritalin, etc might be fun for a party drug but not for school work. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:49AM #8
CharikIeia

I don't see how homeschooling would preclude such problem behaviour of parents. Where do you see a link, Ironhold?

It's a sad fact of life that many parents steal the childhood of their offspring and push them to become adults as quickly as possible. That can take many forms, and it's IMO highly criminal.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:37AM #9
DotNotInOz

It'd be the rare student who hasn't at some time or other put in an all-nighter aided by prodigious amounts of caffeine in order to prepare for a major exam or complete a paper.

The only difference I see between students using drugs to keep going today and the NoDoz and endless cups of coffee of my years as a college student is that a wider array of pharmaceuticals is available to contemporary students. They also probably have less hesitancy about using whatever drug seems most expedient for the situation, we've gotten to be so much a society of pillpoppers for whatever is deemed to be the need that a drug can fulfill.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 11:47AM #10
Girlchristian

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:37AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

It'd be the rare student who hasn't at some time or other put in an all-nighter aided by prodigious amounts of caffeine in order to prepare for a major exam or complete a paper.

The only difference I see between students using drugs to keep going today and the NoDoz and endless cups of coffee of my years as a college student is that a wider array of pharmaceuticals is available to contemporary students. They also probably have less hesitancy about using whatever drug seems most expedient for the situation, we've gotten to be so much a society of pillpoppers for whatever is deemed to be the need that a drug can fulfill.

When I was in my early 20's I was working two jobs, one from 7am - 3pm and the other from 3:15pm - 11pm with an hour drive to home each way. NoDoz enabled me to maintain that ridiculous schedule!

One of the health centers that I work with caught a college aged patient lying about needing Ritalin at a doctor's visit over break and when they confronted him about it he had planned on getting the prescription and then selling them to fellow students when he got back to school. Needless to say he didn't get the prescription from them.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook