Switch to Forum Live View Accused killer's body donated to science
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 7:31PM #1
Estacia

Accused killer's body donated to science

By Yamiche Alcindor, USA TODAY           

Updated
7h 36m ago       

The body of Adam Mayes, a suspected killer and kidnapper, has been donated to science.

By HO, AFP/Getty Images

Adam Mayes, a suspected killer and kidnapper who was on the the FBI's "10 Most Wanted" list, will now be a research cadaver, CNN reports.

After Mayes' family refused to accept his remains, the body was sent to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, where students will use it for research and educational purposes.

Officials allege that Mayes, 35, killed Jo Ann Bain, 31, and her daughter Adrienne, 14, on April 27 at their home in Whiteville, Tenn. He is then accused of  kidnapping Bain's younger daughters, Alexandria, 12, and Kyliyah,8.

Mayes and the girls were missing for two weeks before authorities cornered the accused man in Mississippi, CNN reports. Mayes then shot himself in the head and died. The girls survived.

The body had been with the Mississippi State Medical Examiner's Office since early May.  It was picked up from there and delivered to the university's forensic department this week.

Mayes' mother and ex-wife are both accused of helping him and face charges for their alleged roles in his crimes.

"We've had some unusual cases but none like this where the family won't even accept the remains," Mark Golding, medical examiner in Union County, Mississippi, told WMC-TV.

Golding later added: "He can go on for research and education and maybe a bad thing, after a bad thing has happened maybe something good can come of it."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 8:51PM #2
TemplarS

Well, Mr. Mayes did the world one favor by removing himself from it;  nice to see he just keeps on giving.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 8:52PM #3
REteach

Actually, it is really too bad more of us don't do something useful with our bodies after we are done with them. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 10:58PM #4
TemplarS

It's even better, unlike Mr. Mayes, to do something useful with them before we're dead...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 11:05PM #5
Ebon

Jun 9, 2012 -- 8:52PM, REteach wrote:

Actually, it is really too bad more of us don't do something useful with our bodies after we are done with them. 

And on that note, let me once again pimp the organ donor services:

www.organdonor.gov (US organ donor register)

www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/default.asp (UK organ donor register)

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 7:21PM #6
DotNotInOz

The place that I think is ghoulishly interesting is The Body Farm associated with the University of Tennessee, Knoxville where donated corpses are strategically placed so that the effects of decomposition in various environmental conditions can be observed and details recorded in order to better educate investigators and coroners. Much has been learned about the stages of decomposition as a result, thereby enabling more precise calculation of time of death for bodies found outdoors.

For more info, including about donation:

fac.utk.edu/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2012 - 7:33PM #7
MysticWanderer

I am reminded of Larry Niven's vision of a future of easy organ transplants and all executed criminals are simply divided up into organs for the organ banks.  The dark side of his view was that third time DUI's became capitol offenses to keep the organ banks full and this was by popular vote.  Still I wonder why we do not all realize that at least some parts of us can help others even if only corneas and long bones.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook