Post Reply
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 9th Circuit Won't Rehear Its Decision Striking Down Prop 8
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 11:29AM #41
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,020

Is that you Saul/Paul? Has there been a 'conversion' here???

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 11:41AM #42
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,020

For those of you who frequently (and falsely) claim this isn't about equal rights, I draw your attention to Wednesday's New York district judge's decision in Windsor v. the United States of America ...


www.aclu.org/files/assets/windsor.pdf


It's commented on here:


Defense Of Marriage Act Ruled Unconstitutional By Another Federal Judge


www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/06/defens...


It is ONLY about equal rights.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 12:17PM #43
mindis1
Posts: 7,930

Jun 7, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mindis1 wrote:


I assume that no one knows of any argument that laws that deny same-sex couples the right to marry are constitutional. If my assumption is wrong, then I am eager to hear that argument.



So, no one knows of any argument that laws depriving same-sex couples and their children of the rights and responsibilities that come with civil marriage are constitutional?


Mytmouse, it seems that on other threads you have claimed that there are “good arguments” for marriage laws that discriminate against same-sex couples and their children, even though I haven’t seen where you have stated even one such “good argument”. Apparently, you don’t mean that there is any “good argument” that such laws are constitutional. Is that right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 3:00PM #44
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

Jun 8, 2012 -- 12:17PM, mindis1 wrote:


Jun 7, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mindis1 wrote:


I assume that no one knows of any argument that laws that deny same-sex couples the right to marry are constitutional. If my assumption is wrong, then I am eager to hear that argument.



So, no one knows of any argument that laws depriving same-sex couples and their children of the rights and responsibilities that come with civil marriage are constitutional?


Mytmouse, it seems that on other threads you have claimed that there are “good arguments” for marriage laws that discriminate against same-sex couples and their children, even though I haven’t seen where you have stated even one such “good argument”. Apparently, you don’t mean that there is any “good argument” that such laws are constitutional. Is that right?




Strictly Constitutional? Probably not good arguments for said laws. And apparently, many courts don't think so either.


We'll have to wait and see what SCOTUS rules.


IMO, I think SCOTUS will come down in favor of gay marriage, and that will be that. 


As a matter of value and principle, that's a different story. 


But, do we cast laws in a secular republic according to valued principles, or self-determination and freedom of choice?


I would say, the latter. 


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:53AM #45
mindis1
Posts: 7,930

Jun 8, 2012 -- 3:00PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


Jun 8, 2012 -- 12:17PM, mindis1 wrote:


Jun 7, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mindis1 wrote:


I assume that no one knows of any argument that laws that deny same-sex couples the right to marry are constitutional. If my assumption is wrong, then I am eager to hear that argument.



So, no one knows of any argument that laws depriving same-sex couples and their children of the rights and responsibilities that come with civil marriage are constitutional?


Mytmouse, it seems that on other threads you have claimed that there are “good arguments” for marriage laws that discriminate against same-sex couples and their children, even though I haven’t seen where you have stated even one such “good argument”. Apparently, you don’t mean that there is any “good argument” that such laws are constitutional. Is that right?




Strictly Constitutional? Probably not good arguments for said laws.



What else is there to discuss about the issue of marriage rights for same-sex couples other than the fact that there is no rational reason for that deprive same-sex couples and their children of the rights and responsibilities that come with civil marriage?  You seem to be doing a lot of discussing something on the topic on other threads.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:56AM #46
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,020

If they couldn't even get half the justices to re-hear it, how do they 'think' they're gonna get more than half to agree with the tired, false, empty, losing arguments they bring?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 12:09PM #47
mindis1
Posts: 7,930

DUO, is your post above to me?  If so, I don't think I understand your question, which seems to be rhetorical anyway).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 12:11PM #48
mindis1
Posts: 7,930

By the way:


Jun 8, 2012 -- 3:00PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


Probably not good arguments for said laws. And apparently, many courts don't think so either.



Yes, many more courts in the US have struck down than have upheld marriage laws that discriminate against same-sex couples and their children.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 2:28PM #49
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,020

Jun 11, 2012 -- 12:09PM, mindis1 wrote:


DUO, is your post above to me?  If so, I don't think I understand your question, which seems to be rhetorical anyway).





Nope. It was just a general comment on the 'reasoning' of the anti-equality crowd. Pretty much rehtorical, yes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 1:49PM #50
Merope
Posts: 10,206

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook