Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Coach Takes Student to Prom; Gets Fired
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 7:38PM #11
rocketjsquirell

The whole thing is nonsense!

If the girl and her parents were ok with it then of course it is ok. Why anyone would want to go to a prom at any age is beyond me, but really, who gives a #$%^? It is way past time that we as a nation ended this hysteria.

When I was in High School a girl in the class ahead of mine married one of our teachers a week or two after her graduation. Do you think maybe they were - gasp - dating before then?

These days the teacher would be fired and probably criminally prosecuted. As it was, the teacher continued to teach and was slowly promoted up the chain of command in the school district. He ended up in charge of the entire district. He is still married to the same woman, their kids are grown and they have grand children. I guess they must all be scared for life or something.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 12:20AM #12
Estacia

Jun 5, 2012 -- 4:49PM, Erey wrote:

Maybe so Templar.  There is no real reason for me to form a hard oppinion on this subject.  It does seem as you say "sad".  Just today's world is so full of litigation that people really can't be trusted to be themselves and act out of what make sense at the time.  Everything has to be cleared by the higher ups. 

I am not saying this coach is a bad person but I am saying if I were a school administrator I would not have wanted/allowed this prom date to happen.  Even if I believed completely in the innocence of it all.  Probably I would be afraid of getting in trouble with the school board. 

Erey, I completly agree with you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 12:51AM #13
Ebon

I'm not sure if firing her was the right response but I certainly think this was inappropriate. That said, I don't envy modern teachers. They have to be close enough to be supportive and notice if there's something amiss but that closeness can easily be construed as inappropriate contact. Plus, they have to deal with all the freaking tests that actually ensure that all the kids learn is how to pass tests.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 1:17AM #14
rangerken

Jun 5, 2012 -- 7:38PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

The whole thing is nonsense!

If the girl and her parents were ok with it then of course it is ok. Why anyone would want to go to a prom at any age is beyond me, but really, who gives a #$%^? It is way past time that we as a nation ended this hysteria.

When I was in High School a girl in the class ahead of mine married one of our teachers a week or two after her graduation. Do you think maybe they were - gasp - dating before then?

These days the teacher would be fired and probably criminally prosecuted. As it was, the teacher continued to teach and was slowly promoted up the chain of command in the school district. He ended up in charge of the entire district. He is still married to the same woman, their kids are grown and they have grand children. I guess they must all be scared for life or something.

In the school district I taught in, about 15 years before I got there (so this would have been in 1979)  the High School Principal married a student a year after she graduated. What happened to him???... well, he became superintendant, and an elementary school had its name changed to his a year after he died. This is very similar to the above situation, but since the man I refer to died over a decade ago it's obviously a different situation. And the family is VERY well respected in Newburyport, Massachusetts!

And I have no problem at all with this. BUT, I have a big problem with any educator who 'dates' a student while he or she is a stuent. Immediate firing is always called for and this should be illegal. BUT!!! one day after graduation is fine as long as the former student is a legal adult in the particular state.... 'yucky' yes, illegal no, and it should not be.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 7:45PM #15
Stardove

This wasn't done in secret, if this had been some secret affair that would be another matter.

"she was reported to authorities by a chaperone at the dance" reminds me of 33 years ago I was reported to CPS after going as a widow with baby to the Bahamas on a charter, same plane/same hotel.

The reason for the report was my baby didn't cry and she was too happy.  Talk about being shocked; I'm probably the only person who was ever reported to CPS, because my baby was too happy.  The CPS worker called my family doctor who delivered my baby and he told the worker I was a great mother of three children, and that was the end of it. 

My doctor told me most likely it was a jealous biddy (not exactly the B word he used) which made the report.   After I remarried the same doctor delivered my fourth child. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 7:59PM #16
Erey

Jun 7, 2012 -- 7:45PM, Stardove wrote:

This wasn't done in secret, if this had been some secret affair that would be another matter.

"she was reported to authorities by a chaperone at the dance" reminds me of 33 years ago I was reported to CPS after going as a widow with baby to the Bahamas on a charter, same plane/same hotel.

The reason for the report was my baby didn't cry and she was too happy.  Talk about being shocked; I'm probably the only person who was ever reported to CPS, because my baby was too happy.  The CPS worker called my family doctor who delivered my baby and he told the worker I was a great mother of three children, and that was the end of it. 

My doctor told me most likely it was a jealous biddy (not exactly the B word he used) which made the report.   After I remarried the same doctor delivered my fourth child. 

Crazy story Star Dove, being reported because of a happy baby.

I think some people get a little bit of education on a subject around abuse and they really want to report people.  They see the potential for hidden child abuse everywhere and they want to be the hero.  I know of a formerly very close brother and sister who are now estranged because she reported her brother for almost as flimsy of reasons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 5:56PM #17
DotNotInOz

Jun 7, 2012 -- 7:45PM, Stardove wrote:

I don't care. It's still just as inappropriate as a boss or supervisor dating an employee under the person's direct supervision.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 11:49PM #18
rangerken

The reason for firing should be simple stupidity!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 3:47AM #19
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook