Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A Chocolate a Day Keeps the Doctor Away?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:47AM #1
solfeggio
A new study from Australia has shown that consuming 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of dark chocolate a day can reduce the risk of developing heart problems in people with metabolic syndrome.  Findings were published in the British Medical Journal.  

How common is metabolic syndrome?  It affects about one in five Americans, including young adults as well as older people.  It is found in 40% of adults over 50 in America.

abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/01/d...

Why is chocolate so healthy?  It is rich in flavonoids, which are antioxidants known to have heart protective effects.  It has to be dark chocolate, though, with at least 70% cocoa, and not white or milk chocolate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 6:54AM #2
BDboy

Yeah, I am for all type of Chocolates. :-)

I like the dark ones as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 9:24AM #3
Cesmom

Awww...I got all excited when I saw the title...but not a fan of dark chocolate.  Good info, though!

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 10:26AM #4
teilhard

Dark Chocolate and Red Wine ... i love 'em ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 4:42PM #5
LeahOne

Sounds like a good idea - a nibble of Callebault and a jigger of sherry ........

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 11:22PM #6
solfeggio

I, peronally, am not a wine drinker, so I cannot comment upon the combination of wine and chocolate. 

But my husband is a wine drinker extraordinaire, and he has always maintained that the sweetness of the chocolate clashes with the dry fruit flavours of Pinot Noir.  

In general, when pairing wines with chocolate, the stronger the chocolate, the more full-bodied the wine should be.  (This is not anything I know personally.  I got the information off the Internet.)  So, therefore, white chocolate would go with sherry, and dark chocolate with Zinfandel.

wine.about.com/od/winerecommendations/a/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 2:38AM #7
karbie

It's a shame that it has to be dark chocolate, since I've always preferred milk chocolate. At least I'll still  be getting in a vegetable. I claimed as a teenager that chocolate was a vegetable because it was made from the cacao bean. If it was made from a bean, it was a vegetable. Years later I was delighted to find that Compton's Children's Encyclopedia agreed with me.

Now that the big deal in marketing is to claim how loaded a product is with hidden vegetables, I'm going back to considering a chocolate chip cookie as a wonder food.

Dairy from the butter or milk chocolate, grain from the wheat flour, protein from the egg--extra if you add nuts, and of course beet sugar would be another vegetable.

Of course it's a stretch--I do usually use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate, but if it's for my health...

Isn't it nice to hear that anything that tastes good is good for us for a change?

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 2:41AM #8
Estacia

Not all "junk" food is bad!!!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:27AM #9
farragut

Seems to me that dark chocolate pairs much better with cognac than with wine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:35AM #10
TemplarS

I'm not much of a chocolate eater.

However:  there is a Mexican mole sauce which I make which contains dark chocolate.  So I suppose that counts.  I don't know about wine, but it goes great with a nice pale ale.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook