Page 1 of 52  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Big Apple Soda Ban
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 1:42AM #1
Roodog

news.yahoo.com/york-mayor-bloomberg-prop...

Really people, does New York really have to do this?
I can imagine NYPD taking kids in for possessing a six pack or a liter of soda.

It adds new meaning to a "Coke Bust"

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 2:17AM #2
Ebon

And that strikes me as entirely pointless. I'd support warning labels (giving the customer more information) but outright bans seem both pointless and micromanaging.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 6:24AM #3
CharikIeia

Jun 1, 2012 -- 1:42AM, Roodog wrote:

I can imagine NYPD taking kids in for possessing a six pack or a liter of soda.

I guess the ban is on the sale, not on the possession or consumption.

It is a very anti-capitalist, anti-individualist, and in that sense anti-American measure.

It presumes that individuals are too stupid to know what's best for them, and allow themselves to be lured into self-hurting behaviour by merely getting the best value for money deal.

Of course, the more educated among us know that individuals aren't rational, and that markets develop their own dysfunctional dynamics, and that public health is a public good that can require sanctions on individuals. But then, all this makes us anti-American.

Bloomberg obviously has become a communist.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 8:29AM #4
Nepenthe

Ken over at Popehat labels this as the Tyranny of Doing Something, which pretty much sums up a lot of legislature in this country. 

At any rate, for whatever reason, Mayor Bloomberg is convinced that he must Do Something — that Something Must Be Done. Specifically, he wants to dictate the size of non-diet soft drinks that a variety of of businesses can sell. The justification is self-evident — if Bloomberg did not tell businesses what they can sell, and therefore tell people indirectly what they can drink, he would not be Doing Something

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 10:23AM #5
vra

Because there is a real and present danger with the massive consumption of these massive drinks, I would recommend a warning message on the container, as we've done with cigarettes.  However, I would not support Bloomberg's proposed law, although that's a decision NYC will make one way or the other.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 10:46AM #6
arielg

Jun 1, 2012 -- 10:23AM, vra wrote:

Because there is a real and present danger with the massive consumption of these massive drinks, I would recommend a warning message on the container, as we've done with cigarettes.  However, I would not support Bloomberg's proposed law, although that's a decision NYC will make one way or the other.

Warning labels is another way of pretending to "do something". I doubt anybody ever stopped smoking because of the warning label.  There are many things that are just as destructive of these drinks. Maybe we should accept  the fact that people are going to act stupid. ( Which is itself, a matter of opinion)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 10:06PM #7
Roodog

www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/06/01/...

I've got a Mad Magazine sense of humor:

So what's next?

Pizza? Hamburgers? Hot Dogs? Doughnuts?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 11:49PM #8
rabello

When I was a kid, "bottomless" (meaning unlimited free refills) 32 oz soft drinks in a glass didn't exist, and a soda pop was a treat.  We didn't need "Big Gulps" then; why do people, today, need them except for the fact that they're "there". 

What is becoming more and more clear is that processed sugar really isn't good for people, and a 32 oz glass of soda isn't good for people, either.  Plus there is an obesity epidemic and type 2 diabetes epidemic among American teens...so the communist mayor has some rational reasons for proposing what he's proposing.  Not much different from prohibiting restaurants and bars from allowing smoking on their premises.  Nobody needs to drink 3 cans of Coke (or lemonade, or Hawaiin Punch) with a meal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 12:05AM #9
teilhard

Look, New York City has LONG been called, "The Big Apple" -- NOT "The Super-Size Fries" or "The Big Gulp Sugar Soda" or "The Half-Pounder-with-Cheese" -- for a REASON ...

Obviously NYC is -- or longs to be -- THE Healthiest City in The World, right ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 12:07AM #10
teilhard

Apparently ... they ... just ... want ... Bill Clinton ... to  ... GO  AWAY ...

Jun 1, 2012 -- 10:06PM, Roodog wrote:

www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/06/01/...

I've got a Mad Magazine sense of humor:

So what's next?

Pizza? Hamburgers? Hot Dogs? Doughnuts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 52  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook