Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 52  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 7:50PM #21
Ebon

Jun 2, 2012 -- 7:27PM, teilhard wrote:

The Ameican Diet almost EVERYWHERE encourages BINGE Consumption ... Consider the "All You Can Eat" Buffet ... and the obscenely large Portions doled out in most Restaurants and Cafes ...

When my Sweetie-Spouse and I go out to eat, we almost ALWAYS share an Entre, which is more than enough for us ...

Point. Our portions tend to be smaller than yours by default and the only "all you can eat" you're likely to see is a salad bar. Also, it's law here that nutritional information be displayed somewhere prominent. So if you go into, say, a Burger King here, every menu item has a little chart next to it displaying how many calories it has, how much sugar, salt and so on. I was all in favour of that since it gave consumers more information without actively banning anything.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 5:12PM #22
Marcion

It looks like we will have soda bootleggers in the big Apple.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 6:10PM #23
rabello

Jun 3, 2012 -- 5:12PM, Marcion wrote:

It looks like we will have soda bootleggers in the big Apple.

Of course we won't.  Soda isn't being banned in New York City.

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 6:51PM #24
Roodog

Jun 2, 2012 -- 2:45PM, rabello wrote:

Jun 2, 2012 -- 7:04AM, CharikIeia wrote:

I think this is a quite good example illustrating why unregulated capitalism, i.e., capitalism that exploits our self-destructive ("sinful") behaviour, is immoral.

Kudos to Bloomberg, on this issue!

Agreed.

The plan would place a limit of 16 ounces to one serving of a sugary drink, which is still more than a standard bottle or can of pop.  Of course, no one is restricted from buying 2 or 3 such servings if they need 32 ounces or 48 ounces to go with their meal.   Other measures proposed to combat obesity, especially in kids, is to put more drinking fountains in schools to compete with the soda machines that are already there -- although NYC public schools may have succeeded in banning soda machines in public schools, not sure about that.

I always resent ordering a "small" drink and am handed a 24 ounce (or larger) disposable paper cup.  "Small" should really mean "small", I think. 

Which reminds me about some jokes about Texas.....Smile

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 7:16PM #25
LeahOne

Some of us think Texas is a joke......

This idea by Bloomberg is a good one, but it's going to be fussed about I'm sure.  So sad that it's become necessary to consider such measures.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:49PM #26
Marcion

Jun 3, 2012 -- 7:16PM, LeahOne wrote:

Some of us think Texas is a joke......

This idea by Bloomberg is a good one, but it's going to be fussed about I'm sure.  So sad that it's become necessary to consider such measures.

If not the state at least the incompetent imbecile who masqueraded as president for eight years. Thanks evil Karl.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 1:26PM #27
REteach

A single sugary Big Gulp has about 1/2 of the calories (or more) a typical adult needs in a day.

1 20 ounce bottle of sugary pop a year equals about 20lbs a year.

I was just at a conference on obesity.  Once you become obese, about the only reasonably effective treatment is stomach surgery. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 2:50PM #28
farragut

"1 20 ounce bottle of sugary pop a year equals about 20lbs a year."

Wow, I'll stay away from that stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 5:08PM #29
Ebon

I dread to think how much my coffee addiction has added to my waistline over the years. I take one sugar in my coffee but drink 20-30 cups a day.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 5:17PM #30
teilhard

I take my Coffee "straight-up" ...

Jun 4, 2012 -- 5:08PM, Ebon wrote:

I dread to think how much my coffee addiction has added to my waistline over the years. I take one sugar in my coffee but drink 20-30 cups a day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 52  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook