Page 19 of 52  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 52 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Big Apple Soda Ban
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:22PM #181
Erey

Rabello, are you one of those people that over reacts and seizes any bit of outrageous word from scientists?  Because if you are that would make you pretty stupid.  Rabello, most scientists and most doctors consume sugar, some more than others. 

Most adults and frankly most children don't need this nanny state nonsese of let me control what you put in your body.  The healthiest people consume some sugar.  It is OK, we can consume some sugar unless we have a particular health condition. 

Rabello, if you want to go completely sugar free that is your choice and I will just say "good luck".  But don't impose your neurosis on others. 

Going back into the thread suddenly the posts depicting a sugar black market are starting to make real sense.  One minute you swear it is not about control and the next minute you are screaming about how it is poison and we must get rid of it for the sake of society.  Sounds like you need to expore your own thoughts a bit further on the subject. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 8:24PM #182
farragut

So there is a Big ban on Apple soda. What the hell. Get cider.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 8:39PM #183
Fodaoson

Jun 12, 2012 -- 8:24PM, farragut wrote:

So there is a Big ban on Apple soda. What the hell. Get cider.

Good comment on misplaced modifiers and punctuation ; it reminds of the book on punctuation  titled ”eats, shoots, and leaves “  I think it had a picture of panda on the cover.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 8:50PM #184
farragut

" ”eats, shoots, and leaves "

Heh, heh. I thought that I had that right here on my bookshelf, but the closest things that I can find are Woe is I and Lapsing into a Comma. I'll search further.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 9:06PM #185
mytmouse57

If they ban soda and junk food in NYC, then maybe the Mafia crime families there can make a comeback -- marketing twinkies and Dr. Pepper.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 11:18PM #186
teilhard

Except ...

Excess Sugar in the Diet, inducing Obesity, can INDUCE Diabetes ...

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:49PM, Erey wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:36PM, teilhard wrote:

In the Real World (MarketPlace) we DON'T often simply BAN everything and anything that is somewhat dangerous, but we DO regulate, limit, even discourage too-easy ACCESS ...

It's NOT an ALL-or-NOTHING Deal ...

Sugar is not dangerous.  OK  unless you have a health problem like diabites.  Don't get crazy with this sugar is poison crap.  Sugar is NOT at all in the same league as tobacco or firearms. 

It is rather crazy to suggest it is.  Has our society gotten so nanny-state oriented that we are running around equating sugar in the same category as tobacco and making sugar and firearm annalogies.

This is really getting out there

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 2:07AM #187
solfeggio

My god, all along Rabello has been posting just plain common sense, and some people are still trashing what she says!  It boggles the mind.

No matter what anybody says, processed sugar is not a good thing for anybody to eat.  High fructose corn syrup isn't any good, either.

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/ma...www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/ma...

Super size soft drinks are nothing more than an advertising ploy to get people to buy them.  If the mayor of a major city wants to try to curtail their sale, how could anybody possibly have any problem with that?

It's not as if anybody is taking away your 'rights' or your supposed 'personal freedom' by trying to steer people into healthier eating and drinking.

Subsidising cheap sugar (as in supersized drinks) with large governmental subsidies makes no public health or economic sense.

Added sugar in the diet leads to fatty liver and increased body fat.

Is that so hard for some people to grasp?

The fatter a person is, the higher his/her rate of cardiovascular mortality.

More sugar in the diet leads to a fatter population, and fatter populations die earlier of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 3:20AM #188
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 5:07PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Processed sugar in high amounts is what is bad for us.

According to many studies and the AMA, high fructose corn syrup is no worse than sugar. They're both sweeteners. The problem is in how much is consumed.

Exactly! Which is why Mayor Bloomberg proposes to put a limit on how much of the stuff sellers can sell to the buying public in one serving.  Thanks for bringing the point home!

Of course, but then we 'the people' want our convenience items. We'd much rather buy jarred spaghetti sauce that's 'sweet' than make it ourselves. The problem isn't the additives, it's how much we consume.

Most people don't know what it in the processed food they buy so laziness isn't the biggest culprit, but I don't know anybody who doesn't make their own spaghetti sauce. 

Nonetheless, I think the manufacturer has a moral obligation to produce a product that is safe to eat and doesn't have unnecessary additives that are dangerous to one's health.  I understand that you disagree, that you think all responsibility lies with the buyer, not the manufacturer.

Anyone with diabetes should be watching their diet and exercising and there are many avenues where they can receive medical care for free or low-cost.

Better not to develop "adult"-onset diabetes in the first place, especially for kids, which means it's better not to drink too much super-sugary drinks.  Which is why the Mayor proposed what he proposed.  No kid and no adult needs to drink 32 ounces of super-sugary drinks to wash down their meat-lovers pizza, or their hot dogs.  

In my hometown there are no free medical clinics and no "avenues" for receiving free or low cost medical care, except to find a way to get to the nearest city that is 50 miles away.  Not so easy in the middle of winter, on a 2-lane, unplowed highway.  Having to wait to get 50 miles from home when one has lapsed into a diabetic coma isn't the best "avenue" to have.  See, not everyone in America is as fortunate as those of us who post here and have all the answers.  That's one reason there's a such thing as a "public" health institution.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 3:38AM #189
rabello

More red herrings....and personal insults instead of legitimate rebuttals to legitimate challenges.

Jun 12, 2012 -- 5:22PM, Erey wrote:

Rabello, are you one of those people that over reacts and seizes any bit of outrageous word from scientists? 

ROFFLMFAO

Because if you are that would make you pretty stupid. 

ROFFLMFAO so much it's making my stomach hurt

Rabello, most scientists and most doctors consume sugar, some more than others. 

What, you're saying that just because doctors and scientists consume sugar that their research is invalid, or I mean, "outrageous"?

ROFFLMFAO now my sides are splitting

Most adults and frankly most children don't need this nanny state nonsese of let me control what you put in your body.  The healthiest people consume some sugar.  It is OK, we can consume some sugar unless we have a particular health condition. 

Absolutely NO ONE has said you can't have some sugar.  Get it yet?

Rabello, if you want to go completely sugar free that is your choice and I will just say "good luck".  But don't impose your neurosis on others. 

Tell me where I said I "want to go completely sugar free"?  If you knew anything about the subject matter that we're TRYING to discuss you would know that a) that is impossible, and b) that isn't even close to the objective of the NYC proposal, which -- I'll say it again, hoping it sinks in -- DOESN'T AFFECT YOU!!!!!!! 

Going back into the thread suddenly the posts depicting a sugar black market are starting to make real sense. 

Only if you insist on continuing to misrepresent and mischaracterize what those who disagree with you are saying.

One minute you swear it is not about control and the next minute you are screaming about how it is poison and we must get rid of it for the sake of society. 

Show me where I said we need to "get rid of it" ("it" being sugar)?  

Talk about over reacting!!!!!

Sounds like you need to expore your own thoughts a bit further on the subject. 

Sorry, but is sounds like you need to learn to read for understanding instead of throwing your fists around all the time, that is to have an adult conversation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 3:59AM #190
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 9:06PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

If they ban soda and junk food in NYC, then maybe the Mafia crime families there can make a comeback -- marketing twinkies and Dr. Pepper.

Except that absolutely no one is proposing that soda and junk food be banned in NYC or anywhere else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 19 of 52  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 52 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook