Page 18 of 52  •  Prev 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 52 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Big Apple Soda Ban
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 1:40PM #171
Erey

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:25PM, rabello wrote:

We already know that the hardliners on THIS thread simply do not "believe" the most recent studies that prove that, yes indeedy, processed sugar is bad for us and leads to all sorts of deblilitating illness, much like tobacco does.  Well, whatever...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

It appears that the hardliners' solution, here, is NOT to enact some common sense public health programs to help protect people and help guide them into eating (in this case, drinking) better, the way people were guided into not smoking, and not put any restrictions whatsoever on profit-seeking capitalists whose only care is the bottom line -- carte blanche for them -- but to blame and punish those who, for whatever reason, mostly lacking resources and education, to make the same decisions we would, ourselves make, to "control" themselves -- and what a stereotype towards fat people THAT is based on!

I am continually amazed at how far away Americans have moved from The Golden Rule.

I only see one hardliner here

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:22PM #172
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:40PM, Erey wrote:

Certainly takes one to know one.   I think it's much more "hardline" to say "let them live (or die) in the bed they made for themselves" than to say "capitalists have SOME moral responsiblities in this world towards their human customers, besides their personal profits"

I certainly do expect that you advocate and will work for universal health care coverage for all Americans, especially those who don't qualify for medicaid but can't afford insurance like you have, since you are against public health programs that are proactive and not reactive.  Of course a public health care program can't be reactive -- it's too late for that -- that's what emergency rooms are for, in the long run on the taxpayers' dime.  I suppose THAT makes you mad, too, but really in a social-darwinistic society, what choice does somebody have if they don't have insurance but to go to a publically financed ER?

Whatever....can lead a horse to water but can't make him -- or her -- drink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:36PM #173
teilhard

In the Real World (MarketPlace) we DON'T often simply BAN everything and anything that is somewhat dangerous, but we DO regulate, limit, even discourage too-easy ACCESS ...

It's NOT an ALL-or-NOTHING Deal ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:37PM #174
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:39PM, Erey wrote:

We all want our kids to have the good life, right?   That usually means the health and beauty of being an appropriate weight.  My kids, really, really, really don't want to be obese.  They are very active children, lots of muscle and strength.  I provide healthfull food at home.  We talk

Good for you and your children.   Others are not so lucky as you.  But the issue isn't about you, or your kids, or any individuals.  Anecdotes don't prove anything.  The issue is about businesses that sell unhealthy drinks to the general public.   And only in NYC which is are far away from blood red states as the moon is from the sun.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:44PM #175
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:36PM, teilhard wrote:

In the Real World (MarketPlace) we DON'T often simply BAN everything and anything that is somewhat dangerous, but we DO regulate, limit, even discourage too-easy ACCESS ...

Exactly.  Not even the hated cigarette has been "banned"

I imagine it is the title of the thread that is leading to so much misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the issue.  Goes to show how misleading getting one's news by reading headlines only can be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:47PM #176
Erey

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:22PM, rabello wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:40PM, Erey wrote:

Certainly takes one to know one.   I think it's much more "hardline" to say "let them live (or die) in the bed they made for themselves" than to say "capitalists have SOME moral responsiblities in this world towards their human customers, besides their personal profits"

I certainly do expect that you advocate and will work for universal health care coverage for all Americans, especially those who don't qualify for medicaid but can't afford insurance like you have, since you are against public health programs that are proactive and not reactive.  Of course a public health care program can't be reactive -- it's too late for that -- that's what emergency rooms are for, in the long run on the taxpayers' dime.  I suppose THAT makes you mad, too, but really in a social-darwinistic society, what choice does somebody have if they don't have insurance but to go to a publically financed ER?

Whatever....can lead a horse to water but can't make him -- or her -- drink

Really, I said  provide education focused on the specific issues people are having as it relates to  supersizes .  I said end subsidies on sugar and corn to allow those products to rise to their natural prices.

But that is not good enough for you!!!  You are a my way or the highway kind of person!  I hope you never get in a position of control over others.  especiallly i hope you don't have any control over children. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:49PM #177
Erey

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:36PM, teilhard wrote:

Sugar is not dangerous.  OK  unless you have a health problem like diabites.  Don't get crazy with this sugar is poison crap.  Sugar is NOT at all in the same league as tobacco or firearms. 

It is rather crazy to suggest it is.  Has our society gotten so nanny-state oriented that we are running around equating sugar in the same category as tobacco and making sugar and firearm annalogies.

This is really getting out there

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:10PM #178
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:49PM, Erey wrote:

Sugar is not dangerous.  OK  unless you have a health problem like diabites.  Don't get crazy with this sugar is poison crap.  Sugar is NOT at all in the same league as tobacco or firearms. 

It is rather crazy to suggest it is.  Has our society gotten so nanny-state oriented that we are running around equating sugar in the same category as tobacco and making sugar and firearm annalogies.

Have you read ANY of the multiple studies that have been linked here, in this thread, or in previous threads, most notably the one about "sugar" that says your assumption is wrong, that processed sugar IS bad for us?   Do you know anything about high fructose corn syrup or white grape juice that is also used as a sweetener.  Do you know that there are more processed sugar additives in today's foods than there were back when you were a kid?  Do you have any suggestions for what kids with diabetes or overweight adults with diabetes who have no medical insurance should do when they run into a crisis, since society at large isn't supposed to do ANYTHING that proactively attempts to prevent such health issues in the first place?  Are you a scientist who is actively involved in doing research that proves modern research findings about sugar are ALL wrong?  Do you have any proof other than personal anecdotes to justify the many assumptions you've cluttered this thread with, with all your hectoring? 

Didn't think so....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:22PM #179
rabello

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:47PM, Erey wrote:

Really, I said  provide education focused on the specific issues people are having as it relates to  supersizes .  I said end subsidies on sugar and corn to allow those products to rise to their natural prices.

But that is not good enough for you!!!  You are a my way or the highway kind of person!  I hope you never get in a position of control over others.  especiallly i hope you don't have any control over children. 

As to your first paragraph: Fine.  How do you propose whe provide education?  With precious taxpayer dollars?  There are educated people who participate here who won't "believe" that red meat is linked to coronary artery disease because they themselves have the arteries of a teenager or who haven't had a cardiac incident themselves.   Or as we see from this thread, who won't "believe" that there is a link between sugar intake, obesity and diabetes, because they themselves haven't developed either one.  How do you propose we "educate" those who have 2 big gulps (without ice) every day?   How do you propose that the mere citizen convince Congress to ignore the lobbyists who butter their bread?

Your last paragraph is off topic.  I am not enraged by or scornful of Bloomberg's plan the way you are.  It doesn't even affect me, just like it doesn't affect you, but unlike you, I can see justifications for it, whereas you have made a snap negative judgement against it without consideration.  The "my way or the highway kind of person" certainly descibes you, at least as it applies to this topic, not me.

As for having "control over others" especially "children" -- have no idea where you are coming from now with your assumptions.  This isn't about "controlling" anybody.  It is about establishing some regulations over how much businesses in NYC can sell.  If someone wants a kid in NYC to have 32 ounces of soda with a hot dog, they can do it.  You bring so many red herrings into this discussion, it's nearly impossible to stay on topic and not get deflected into a schoolyard bullies fight like kids.

The concern about "control over others" is most certainly for the blood red states like your's would do and what the blood red state voters would vote for...it is telling though that youe have to resort to personal insults in order to justify the assumptions you try to present as "arguments"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:07PM #180
Girlchristian

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:10PM, rabello wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:49PM, Erey wrote:

Have you read ANY of the multiple studies that have been linked here, in this thread, or in previous threads, most notably the one about "sugar" that says your assumption is wrong, that processed sugar IS bad for us?  

Processed sugar in high amounts is what is bad for us.

Do you know anything about high fructose corn syrup or white grape juice that is also used as a sweetener. 

According to many studies and the AMA, high fructose corn syrup is no worse than sugar. They're both sweeteners. The problem is in how much is consumed.

Do you know that there are more processed sugar additives in today's foods than there were back when you were a kid? 

Of course, but then we 'the people' want our convenience items. We'd much rather buy jarred spaghetti sauce that's 'sweet' than make it ourselves. The problem isn't the additives, it's how much we consume.

Do you have any suggestions for what kids with diabetes or overweight adults with diabetes who have no medical insurance should do when they run into a crisis, since society at large isn't supposed to do ANYTHING that proactively attempts to prevent such health issues in the first place? 

Anyone with diabetes should be watching their diet and exercising and there are many avenues where they can receive medical care for free or low-cost.

Are you a scientist who is actively involved in doing research that proves modern research findings about sugar are ALL wrong?  Do you have any proof other than personal anecdotes to justify the many assumptions you've cluttered this thread with, with all your hectoring? 

Didn't think so....

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 18 of 52  •  Prev 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 52 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook