Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hair of the snake that bit you
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:08PM #1
Abner1

First, here's the link:

news.yahoo.com/serpent-handling-west-vir...

This may sound unsympathetic, but my reactions were, in order:

1.  It was irresponsible of them to do this in a public park without permission.  It's one thing for them to risk their own lives in their own homes and churches; it's another for them to risk one of the rattlesnakes getting loose and biting an innocent passer-by.

2.  Is God *really* going to be upset with you if you have some antivenin standing by just in case?

3.  At least don't pass around the same snake from person to person.  The more you pass around the snake, the more it's going to get irritable and warmed by your body heat.  A warm snake is more active, and an irritable snake's most likely activity is going to be biting what is irritating it.

4.  And if you do get bit, you might want to go to the hospital instead of driving home and seeing if you feel better on your own.

5.  And if your own dad died the same way, you might want to learn from his example and take at least some precautions.

Not feeling incredibly sympathetic on this one, I have to admit. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:12PM #2
Fodaoson

Mixing your metaphors  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:33PM #3
arielg

Isn't there some Christian admonition about  "You shalt not tempt the Lord your God?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:44PM #4
teilhard

Yes ...

I also prefer my "Metaphors" straight-up rather than "mixed" ...

Like: "BarKeep ... !!!  I'd like another 'Entendre,' please -- make it a 'Double' ... "

May 30, 2012 -- 11:12PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Mixing your metaphors  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 12:35AM #5
mainecaptain

I feel sorry for the snakes, they deserve better then to be annoyed and abused by these idiots

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 12:43AM #6
teilhard

Snakes are REALLY interesting Animals ...

A few Weeks ago my Sweetie-Spouse and I met a VERY large beautiful Bull Snake while on a Nature Hike ... It was GORGEOUS ...

We "bothered" him/her enough to get a good close look ... but no Harm was done ...

May 31, 2012 -- 12:35AM, mainecaptain wrote:

I feel sorry for the snakes, they deserve better then to be annoyed and abused by these idiots

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 12:47AM #7
Roodog

That is not faith, that is presumption. God will not honor that.

Even non poisonous snakes should be handled with care.(if at all)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 3:50PM #8
mytmouse57

Mixing your metaphors  

Hairy snakes?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 4:08PM #9
Fodaoson

May 31, 2012 -- 3:50PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Mixing your metaphors  

Hairy snakes?

Before I weigh in on this one I’ll have to check the scales

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 4:16PM #10
vra

One of my biggest regrets when it comes to animals is when I killed a copperhead on a reservation almost 50 years ago.  I didn't realize as a kid how valuable they really are. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook