Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Vatileaks" and the Holy See
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 10:04AM #1
christine3
Shouldn't the Holy See have seen this coming?  This is going to be hell to pay.

www.windstream.net/news/read.php?rip_id=...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 12:27PM #2
Ebon

I'm surprised that this is the first major leaking scandal the Vatican has had.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:52PM #3
mainecaptain

May 27, 2012 -- 12:27PM, Ebon wrote:

I'm surprised that this is the first major leaking scandal the Vatican has had.

So am I.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:53PM #4
Roodog

May 27, 2012 -- 10:04AM, christine3 wrote:

Saw this story on the Anglican & Episcopal forum:

The Papacy's slip is showing.

Katy bar the door.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 3:30PM #5
christine3

May 27, 2012 -- 2:53PM, Roodog wrote:

May 27, 2012 -- 10:04AM, christine3 wrote:

Saw this story on the Anglican & Episcopal forum:

The Papacy's slip is showing.

Katy bar the door.

Katy bar the door?  Now that's funny!

I'm a bit confused over this.  Since the Vatican is a sovereignty, does it have to comply? I am going to have to go back and view that video I saw about the Vatican's power.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 5:48PM #6
jane2

There is a mighty clash within the RCC right now. In the more affluent countries where education informs many the tack that John Paul II and Benedict have taken is almost anathema. In the 60's Vatican II tried to bring the RCC into the modern world. Pope John XXIII did an end run around the Roman Curia, the back-benchers, and many of those who have and still serve in that group got their revenge. The Vatileaks are a push back.

In the US at this time Cardinal Timothy Dolan, NYC, is considered a crude, rude and unmitigated thug. He is declasse. Dolan attended a high school seminary--never dated--and he bought what that seminary in St.Louis was selling.

The monarchies are long gone from Europe, but JPII and Benedict both favored the monarchical model. Few educated American Catholics or educated Europeans are buying in. Some surveys promote the idea that Catholics over 65 stay no matter what. The truth is many in this group are ring-leaders in the Reform movement.

The RCC has never had much use for the "colonial" Church in the US, but the luvs the "Yankee Dollar". Those dollars have been drying up big time. American women religious are under interdiction by Rome now: too late...........

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 6:40PM #7
christine3

May 27, 2012 -- 5:48PM, jane2 wrote:

There is a mighty clash within the RCC right now. In the more affluent countries where education informs many the tack that John Paul II and Benedict have taken is almost anathema. In the 60's Vatican II tried to bring the RCC into the modern world. Pope John XXIII did an end run around the Roman Curia, the back-benchers, and many of those who have and still serve in that group got their revenge. The Vatileaks are a push back.

In the US at this time Cardinal Timothy Dolan, NYC, is considered a crude, rude and unmitigated thug. He is declasse. Dolan attended a high school seminary--never dated--and he bought what that seminary in St.Louis was selling.

The monarchies are long gone from Europe, but JPII and Benedict both favored the monarchical model. Few educated American Catholics or educated Europeans are buying in. Some surveys promote the idea that Catholics over 65 stay no matter what. The truth is many in this group are ring-leaders in the Reform movement.

The RCC has never had much use for the "colonial" Church in the US, but the luvs the "Yankee Dollar". Those dollars have been drying up big time. American women religious are under interdiction by Rome now: too late...........

Jane, where have you BEEN!?

I don't know the terminology and what you say sounds educated and knowledgeable.  What are the back-benchers?  I'd like also to know what the American Women Religious are doing since they are under interdiction.  Do they have a next move?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 8:37PM #8
jane2

May 27, 2012 -- 6:40PM, christine3 wrote:

May 27, 2012 -- 5:48PM, jane2 wrote:

Jane, where have you BEEN!?

I don't know the terminology and what you say sounds educated and knowledgeable.  What are the back-benchers?  I'd like also to know what the American Women Religious are doing since they are under interdiction.  Do they have a next move?

Hi christine

I fell about a month ago and the treatment has been worse than the real aftermath. I'm a tough ole bird, though.

The American Women Religious hold most of the cards and this irritates Rome no end; they are financially independent. Fifty years ago they were running big hospitals and colleges.They own substantial property in their own domaine and they tend to Gospel teaching. Many of my college professors studied in Europe; they were and are not easily intimidated.

I used the term back-benchers to describe the Curia--borrowed it from British parliamentary discussions--back-benchers tend to lack power. Rome now wants to use power to achieve its ends but the days of even ecclesiastical power in the hands of the few are gone forever. Too many of us know too much about Church history, yada, yada.

Jane

Moderated by Merope on Jun 21, 2012 - 03:38PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 9:17PM #9
farragut

Well, Jane, I trust you are back on your feet and healing properly. At our age we do well to avoid falling. Do not do it again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 11:10PM #10
jane2

May 27, 2012 -- 9:17PM, farragut wrote:

Well, Jane, I trust you are back on your feet and healing properly. At our age we do well to avoid falling. Do not do it again.

Agreed, farragut !!!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook