Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Music: It's in Your Head, Changing Your Brain
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:54PM #11
drawout

I convert records to CDs for friends without turntables,but a good turntable with a high quality amp and speakers will bring out a warm resonant sound that makes your insides tingle when playing records. Digital sounds cold and flat by comparison. I think the reason Rap and Hip Hop and so much ugly sounding crap are so popular is because the young adults have never heard real music and dont have a clue about how music gives real pleasure. Not that ugliness is always bad,I used to love heavy metal too and get nostalgic an crank it up to pain inflicting levels for grins now and then,but music should be capable of breath taking beauty too.

I stack vertically too Hat

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 3:18PM #12
mountain_man

May 27, 2012 -- 2:54PM, drawout wrote:

...I think the reason Rap and Hip Hop and so much ugly sounding crap are so popular is because the young adults have never heard real music and dont have a clue about how music gives real pleasure....

Doesn't every old generation say that about the new generation's music?

I don't like Rap, but the kids seem to get real pleasure out of it just like we got pleasure out of "real rock."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 3:24PM #13
drawout

I'm referring to the resonant sounds of accoustic instruments in an analog format. I dont deny that you can get pleasure from electronic noise,like the synthisizers of the seventies and eighties. Hard rock actually sounds better on digital. Its supposted to be harsh and distorted.

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 3:34PM #14
mytmouse57

I'll listen to anything that doesn't suck. Everything from Pink Floyd to Pasty Cline, from Sinatra to Slayer, Beethoven to Black Sabbath.

I like only a little rap. "Pistol Grip Pump" by Volume 10, and "Straight Outta Compton" by N.W.A. are classics.

And, ironically, even though I grew up and live in "cowboy country," I really don't care for much country music. At least the newer stuff.

The old-school country -- such as the aforementioned Pasty Cline, Johnny Cash, that sort of thing, I like.

Most of the newer country is just aggravating to me.

I also have the misfortune of having a five-year-old who likes Justin Bieber. But, she'll outgrow it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 2:57PM #15
TemplarS

You know, I suppose every generation has their music.  Mine was 60s and 70s; but, my children have expanded my tastes to include alternative and indie.

But objectively- I look at Mick Jagger on SNL, and guys like Tony Bennett who are still around (and I remember I went to a concert by Sinatra when he was in his 70s), and I can't help but thinking: 40 or 50 years for now, will people even remember who Justin Beiber or Fiddy Cent were, let alone go to concerts?

I have no use for rap or C&W (excpet bluegrass).  Other than that I like most anything, including Jazz and classical. 

I definitely believe music has an impact on our brains. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 5:24PM #16
Ebon

May 27, 2012 -- 3:24PM, drawout wrote:

Hard rock actually sounds better on digital. Its supposted to be harsh and distorted.

Punk is much the same and for similar reasons.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 1:51AM #17
Yavanna

May 30, 2012 -- 5:24PM, Ebon wrote:

Hard rock actually sounds better on digital. Its supposted to be harsh and distorted.

The problem is it gets played too loud because digital doesn't distort. The hearing loss epidemic is going to be brutal with the younger generations.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 8:38AM #18
TemplarS

May 31, 2012 -- 1:51AM, Yavanna wrote:

The problem is it gets played too loud because digital doesn't distort. The hearing loss epidemic is going to be brutal with the younger generations.

Playing rock loud way predates digital.  Back in the day you needed a lot of power to get decent bass.  So of course back in college we would crank the bass way up and vibrate everything in the dorm.  Our criteria for a good sound system was the opening bass note of Also Sprach Zarathustra (from 2001 Space Odyssey).  Awesome, if you had a good system.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:13AM #19
mytmouse57

May 30, 2012 -- 5:24PM, Ebon wrote:

Punk isn't "harsh," so much as it's just raw. I would say it's well suited to an analog format.

Bad Brains, man.... Bad Brains. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 5:12PM #20
Yavanna

May 31, 2012 -- 8:38AM, TemplarS wrote:

May 31, 2012 -- 1:51AM, Yavanna wrote:

Playing rock loud way predates digital.  Back in the day you needed a lot of power to get decent bass.  So of course back in college we would crank the bass way up and vibrate everything in the dorm.  Our criteria for a good sound system was the opening bass note of Also Sprach Zarathustra (from 2001 Space Odyssey).  Awesome, if you had a good system.

That's not what I mean. Back then the speakers would distort at a certain volume. Now kids can play music at volumes that are causing significant hearing loss before they are even twenty years old.

The modern earbuds don't help the matter.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next