Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Music: It's in Your Head, Changing Your Brain
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 11:53PM #31
Ed_3

Jun 8, 2012 -- 9:12PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jun 8, 2012 -- 7:59PM, Ed_3 wrote:

However though, I think that what you described in your quote is more of a thing where every generation prefers to 'own' the current music of their generation. And that's regardless of how harsh or ugly or unappealing it may sound to the older generation. Plus, a lot of the Rap and Hip Hop that we've had(and I actually think that some of it is changing and becoming less harsh and more melodic) reflected the harsher realities that younger generations lived through and experienced. Realities that our generation/s never had to experience. 

Urban music of course reflects the life many young people in those environments live in.

Yet my kids and their friends live in an upper middle class suburb, and their lives are not in the slightest harsh.  Yet many of them also like this sort of music.  Go figure.

Probably because they consider it 'their' music, which ended up becoming popular, and ended up defining the music of the current generation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 11:41AM #32
Stardove

I received a really cool email this week with lots of links to artists and songs.  For you music lovers I am posting a link to the site:  www.songstube.net/

Whatever your taste in music is or which artists you like you'll probably find them at the site.  The songs played are You Tube videos.  I have found a few songs/you tube videos have been pulled.

In Joy! ~ Enjoy ~!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 2:12PM #33
drawout

May 27, 2012 -- 2:54PM, drawout wrote:

I think the reason Rap and Hip Hop and so much ugly sounding crap are so popular is because the young adults have never heard real music and dont have a clue about how music gives real pleasure.

I don't think that's entirely true, drawout. For example, I was in a store and Casey and the Sunshine Band from the 70s was playing on the intercom and one of the cashiers who looked like she was in her teens was joyfully singing along to it. Similarly, when you're out in stores or shopping malls and if there's 'older' music(from the 60s and 70s) playing over the intercom, look around, and you will notice that there will probably be a lot of younger people enjoying this music and singing along to it. Therefore, drawout, the younger generation is not unaware of the music from yesteryear.

However though, I think that what you described in your quote is more of a thing where every generation prefers to 'own' the current music of their generation. And that's regardless of how harsh or ugly or unappealing it may sound to the older generation. Plus, a lot of the Rap and Hip Hop that we've had(and I actually think that some of it is changing and becoming less harsh and more melodic) reflected the harsher realities that younger generations lived through and experienced. Realities that our generation/s never had to experience.

Maybe I didnt make my point clear about the horrible sounding part. The quality of the sound has steadily been degraded. Tubes are superior to Transistors, class Damps are inferior to the old transistor AB$C class amps and finally Digital CDs,though improving thanks to SACD and DVD audio are inferior to analog and lastly MP3 is inferior to CDs. Quality of sound getting worse is not debatable like quality of Music which is subjective.

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 12:21AM #34
Ed_3

Jun 9, 2012 -- 2:12PM, drawout wrote:

May 27, 2012 -- 2:54PM, drawout wrote:

I think the reason Rap and Hip Hop and so much ugly sounding crap are so popular is because the young adults have never heard real music and dont have a clue about how music gives real pleasure.

I don't think that's entirely true, drawout. For example, I was in a store and Casey and the Sunshine Band from the 70s was playing on the intercom and one of the cashiers who looked like she was in her teens was joyfully singing along to it. Similarly, when you're out in stores or shopping malls and if there's 'older' music(from the 60s and 70s) playing over the intercom, look around, and you will notice that there will probably be a lot of younger people enjoying this music and singing along to it. Therefore, drawout, the younger generation is not unaware of the music from yesteryear.

Maybe I didnt make my point clear about the horrible sounding part. The quality of the sound has steadily been degraded. Tubes are superior to Transistors, class Damps are inferior to the old transistor AB$C class amps and finally Digital CDs,though improving thanks to SACD and DVD audio are inferior to analog and lastly MP3 is inferior to CDs. Quality of sound getting worse is not debatable like quality of Music which is subjective.

Oh, I see. Also, I had almost forgot about this thread. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 1:15AM #35
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook