Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Music: It's in Your Head, Changing Your Brain
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 3:16PM #1
Stardove

Music: It's in your head, changing your brain

Michael Jackson was on to something when he sang that "A-B-C" is "simple as "Do Re Mi." Music helps kids remember basic facts such as the order of letters in the alphabet, partly because songs tap into fundamental systems in our brains that are sensitive to melody and beat.

That's not all: when you play music, you are exercising your brain in a unique way.

"I think there's enough evidence to say that musical experience, musical exposure, musical training, all of those things change your brain," says Dr. Charles Limb, associate professor of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery at Johns Hopkins University. "It allows you to think in a way that you used to not think, and it also trains a lot of other cognitive facilities that have nothing to do with music."

Very interesting article continued at link.

What kind of music do you like?  We can have a social discussion about musical taste, as well as discussing subjects brought up in the article.  

I grew up in a musical family mainly playing and singing country music.  Although one of my uncles had a big swing band with 16 musicians when I was a child. 

My husband and I had several bands in the past.  Today we have circled back to mainly playing music and singing with the family. 

We have a son-in-law who teaches music at the studio in their home.  I met our son-in-law who was playing in a band before our daughter met him.  First time he saw my daughter we were dancing together and he thought she and I were a couple. They have been married six years this month.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 4:27PM #2
mainecaptain

I remember as a child thinking they should play music in school, because it helped me remember better. Nice to know science is confirming my experience. :)

I too sing Star. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 8:16PM #3
farragut

We are fortunate here in Louisville to have three public radio stations, one of which is devoted solely to classical music. So I keep the radio in my car tuned to that station and always have music wherever I go. Within range, of course.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 10:32AM #4
drawout

birds can dance  www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/05/01/Research... 

My cockatiel lives for music.He loves jazz, classical and pop music. I Love hanging out with a fellow music lover. He has been spoiled by my collection of vinyl LPs. He just sits there quietly when I play a CD or MP3 and suddenly tweets exitedly when I put on a record. He contributes to the music,especially Jazz.

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 12:25PM #5
Ebon

My own musical tastes are pretty eclectic. Glancing through my collection, you'll find pop, rock, punk, classical, opera, jazz, rap, a bit of metal, even a bit of country. About the only forms of music I really can't stand is what used to be called "rave" here (blanket term that covers dance, techno and similar kinds of music).

That said, I maintain that the greatest pop and rock band in history was Queen.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:07PM #6
mountain_man

It's not surprising that learning about music or just listening music can "change" your brain. Any kind of study causes changes. Taking college classes changes your brain and your way of thinking. Not always for good, but it does make changes.

Interesting thought.... what comes first; the depression or the changes in the brain associated with depression? Could up beat music cause a change in the brain to counteract depression?

I listen a wide variety of music from Gregorian chants to "New Age," from Arlo Guthrie to Mussorgsky. Of course a lot of the real hard rock from the 60's. Pretty much anything but Rap or Western.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:30PM #7
Stardove

May 27, 2012 -- 10:32AM, drawout wrote:

birds can dance  www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/05/01/Research... 

My cockatiel lives for music.He loves jazz, classical and pop music. I Love hanging out with a fellow music lover. He has been spoiled by my collection of vinyl LPs. He just sits there quietly when I play a CD or MP3 and suddenly tweets exitedly when I put on a record. He contributes to the music,especially Jazz.

Sweet Drawout! My thousands of LPs sit flat on the shelves and don't get much play.

Here is a video of Snowball, the cockatiel in action. There are plenty more videos on You Tube of Snowball dancing to different songs.  I went for a shorter clip.  Snowball also like to "sing" with the music too.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:48PM #8
Hatman
Stardove-
Just a hint: if you want to help preserve the fidelity of your vinyl, store them on-edge, not flat.

And especially not stacked flat---the weight crushes the grooves.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:18PM #9
drawout

Stardove, if those records are in good shape you could sell them in Austin,or give them to ME next time you're in Bastrop! I go there looking for things like what you may have lying around. Some of my records are over 50yrs old and still sound wonderful. Perhaps you should consider buying a turntable and rediscover the warmth that is missing from digital recordings.

I will contest the assertion that all music is good for the brain. Studying the classics or exploring classic jazz,fusion,avant guarde will expand your mind as well as any music that is challenging to listen to. Most of the stuff thats extremely popular might even be bad for your brain.

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:32PM #10
Stardove

Hatman and Drawout, 

First when storing vertically the LP's began to warp which is why I have stacked them.  A warped record doesn't play too well.  We are talking decades of storing the LPs.

I bought turntable which can hook up to a computer, so one can make CD from the records.  At the time I thought my son who was living here might take on that project.  Didn't happen. Now he is married and doesn't live with us.  (yeah!)

My plans for the collection is to leave to my son who loves music, as it was his bio dad's collection.  My husband was killed in 1977, so all the records predate his passing some by many years.  I don't think I could ever sell any of the LPs even knowing there are some rare collectables in the bunch.  They represent a small part of my first marriage, along with the three kids.  There is not much else left that does that.  A line from a song says it best: only memories remain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook