Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Free guns! 25 guns - 25 weeks!
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:24AM #31
Roodog

What the OP of this thread deals with is a cybermagazine that  is raffling off handguns as prizes in a raffle to foster new subsriptions. It is a sucker gimmick, the cybermagazine is planning to make much more money through new subscriptions that it will cost to give the handguns away.

It must be seen that this constitutes gambling, trying to gain something for nothing, which is questionable at best in terms of morality.  It is no more moral or immoral than raffling off a car or a vacation to Hawaii or a million dollars in the Publishers' Clearinghouse or the State Lottery.

The cheapest and surest way to obtain a firearm is to buy your own da**ed gun!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:40AM #32
Yavanna

May 26, 2012 -- 12:30AM, solfeggio wrote:

The conservative right-wing news site called The Daily Caller is going to be giving away a free handgun to new email subscribers every week until Election Day.

mediamatters.org/blog/201205230013

They'll give one pistol away every week, and each FMK9C1 will be engraved with the Bill of Rights.  There will be choice of three colours.

dailycaller.com/the-dc-gun-giveaway/

Why do right-wing conservatives seem to have this 'thing' about guns?

The founder of The Daily Caller is quoted as saying that 'liberalism is changing America for the worse,' and that 'social programs have burdened Americans to depend on government instead of Church [sic], God, and community.'

What has any of that to do with owning a gun?

And, considering that America is the most heavily private armed society outside a war zone, but has more gun-related murders per capita than any other country, you have to wonder if all those guns really do make Americans feel safer.          

I'm sorry, I couldn't translate anything through the constant United States trolling.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:29AM #33
arielg

Owning guns gives a false sense of security.  It is an irrational  expression of fear.  Aggressors will allway have the upper hand because they control the element of surprise. There is no way to avoid that.

The gun lovers always latch onto the few incidents where a gun was actually useful, but 99% of unlawful acts  are surprise attacks.  When one learns what is in  the minds of the attacker, it is already too late and makes no difference what one is carrying. 

And if it one plans too much for one's defense, one is likely to be accused of premeditation. Ask Zimmerman.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:31PM #34
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 9:29AM, arielg wrote:

Owning guns gives a false sense of security.  It is an irrational  expression of fear.  Aggressors will allway have the upper hand because they control the element of surprise. There is no way to avoid that.

The gun lovers always latch onto the few incidents where a gun was actually useful, but 99% of unlawful acts  are surprise attacks.  When one learns what is in  the minds of the attacker, it is already too late and makes no difference what one is carrying. 

And if it one plans too much for one's defense, one is likely to be accused of premeditation. Ask Zimmerman.

I see you've already reached a verdict about Zimmerman. Do you read palms too or is it just a party trick?

This next sentence will be a bunch of made up statistics and statements demeaning non-gun owners because that's what all the cool kids do.

Now for the pithy finish. And... we're done.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:54PM #35
mytmouse57

May 29, 2012 -- 9:29AM, arielg wrote:

If I lived in an area where I felt compelled to carry a defense mechanism on the street, I would select bear spray.

At home, a firearm might be more useful. I figure if somebody goes through all the effort to cross my threshold with ill intent toward my wife and children, all bets are off at that point -- and they can feel free to either leave in haste, or attempt to negotiate with the business end of a 12 gauge. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:57PM #36
mytmouse57

May 29, 2012 -- 3:24AM, Roodog wrote:

What the OP of this thread deals with is a cybermagazine that  is raffling off handguns as prizes in a raffle to foster new subsriptions. It is a sucker gimmick, the cybermagazine is planning to make much more money through new subscriptions that it will cost to give the handguns away.

It must be seen that this constitutes gambling, trying to gain something for nothing, which is questionable at best in terms of morality.  It is no more moral or immoral than raffling off a car or a vacation to Hawaii or a million dollars in the Publishers' Clearinghouse or the State Lottery.

The cheapest and surest way to obtain a firearm is to buy your own da**ed gun!

Wanting to get a firearm, just to make a statement about being upset over a Black man being in the White House (and let's face it, that's what it's really about) is disturbing. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:45PM #37
arielg

I see you've already reached a verdict about Zimmerman. Do you read palms too or is it just a party trick?

I think there is a verdict in the air, regardless of what the sleazy lawyers come up with.  The guy carried a  gun, like many people do, for "self  defense". He will learn that carrying a gun does not make you safe, even if he is not the one who got shot.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:48PM #38
mytmouse57

May 29, 2012 -- 3:45PM, arielg wrote:

I think there is a verdict in the air, regardless of what the sleazy lawyers come up with.  The guy carried a  gun, like many people do, for "self  defense". He will learn that carrying a gun does not make you safe, even if he is not the one who got shot.

That's why I would carry bear spray. A facefull of that stuff, and nobody wants to play anymore. But, nobody dies either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:06PM #39
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 3:45PM, arielg wrote:

The man chased after someone the police told him not to and he was using "self-defense" or is somehow comparable to a law-abiding gun owner? Can you grasp at any more straws?

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4