Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:32PM #51
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 6:10PM, solfeggio wrote:

Enjoying yourself poking fun at people who are at least trying to live a healthier life, teilhard?

As I've said ad infinitum, but which you have obviously not noticed in my posts, there are going to be factors in our lives which we cannot avoid, so it would stand to reason that we should make some effort to avoid the dangers that we can.

As arielg has said (more than once), just shaking your head and shrugging your shoulders and saying that we're all going to die someday anyway, so eat, drink and be merry just isn't a very sane way of looking at our lives.

As we've grown older, my husband and I have done a lot of research into the connections between diet and exercise and how these factors could lead to us being healthier.  And, as I've said before (many times), our reading led us to give up meat, and then dairy, and to get out and walk more.  It's paid off for us. 

For the life of me, I will never understand how anybody could find trying to better yourself physically would be looked upon as a joke, or why anybody would want to criticise people who are trying to up the odds of good health in their favour.

I'm really happy it's paid off for you. My wife and I have eliminated wheat from our diet and reduced sugars to a treat once in a rare while. We've increased our saturated fat intake along with protein. High fat diet with a great deal of meat. Plenty of butter, plenty of dairy.

Our blood sugars are now normal. All our other labs are perfect. We've each lost thirty pounds after several months and more keeps melting off. All thanks to eggs and bacon for breakfast every day.

This might sound like a nightmare to you, but to us we're simply living according to evolutionary guidelines. Paleo or Primal living has been the best thing we've ever done.

I don't have any desire to come onto the forums and demand people eat more fat and meat, despite the fact that I think it'd be healthier for them.

It simply isn't a "hot topic" in the first place.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 7:09PM #52
teilhard

Pointing out an IRONIC Fact isn't "poking Fun," it's just noticing the REALITY as it really IS ...

**patiently**

As I've posted NUMEROUS Times in these Discussions of "'Diet' and 'Health'," I TOO am doing what I can to "live a healthier life," i.e., for now several YEARS my Family and I have REDUCED our intake of "Red Meat," and INCREASED our intake of fresh Fruits and Veggies, and INCREASED our intake of Grains, and INCREASED our Exercise and other LifeStyle Health Factors, REDUCED Salt and saturated Fat, INCREASED our use of Olive Oil, etc., etc. ...

But we're  NOT  SELF-RIGHTEOUS  about it ... We're just reasonable and balanced and moderate ...

Enjoying yourself poking fun at people who are at least trying to live a healthier life, teilhard?

As I've said ad infinitum, but which you have obviously not noticed in my posts, there are going to be factors in our lives which we cannot avoid, so it would stand to reason that we should make some effort to avoid the dangers that we can.

As arielg has said (more than once), just shaking your head and shrugging your shoulders and saying that we're all going to die someday anyway, so eat, drink and be merry just isn't a very sane way of looking at our lives.

As we've grown older, my husband and I have done a lot of research into the connections between diet and exercise and how these factors could lead to us being healthier.  And, as I've said before (many times), our reading led us to give up meat, and then dairy, and to get out and walk more.  It's paid off for us. 

For the life of me, I will never understand how anybody could find trying to better yourself physically would be looked upon as a joke, or why anybody would want to criticise people who are trying to up the odds of good health in their favour.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 7:14PM #53
IreneAdler

May 29, 2012 -- 6:32PM, Yavanna wrote:

I'm really happy it's paid off for you. My wife and I have eliminated wheat from our diet and reduced sugars to a treat once in a rare while. We've increased our saturated fat intake along with protein. High fat diet with a great deal of meat. Plenty of butter, plenty of dairy.

Our blood sugars are now normal. All our other labs are perfect. We've each lost thirty pounds after several months and more keeps melting off. All thanks to eggs and bacon for breakfast every day.

This might sound like a nightmare to you, but to us we're simply living according to evolutionary guidelines. Paleo or Primal living has been the best thing we've ever done.

I don't have any desire to come onto the forums and demand people eat more fat and meat, despite the fact that I think it'd be healthier for them.

It simply isn't a "hot topic" in the first place.

Yavana- Yours is not the only narrative I’ve heard where increased sat fats etc. resulted in normal blood glucose.  By chance does this include significant amount of coconut oil? Just curious.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:03PM #54
Yavanna

Olive oil for low temperature cooking, coconut oil for high temp. Vegetable oil needs to be avoided at all costs. Smile

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:17PM #55
mountain_man

May 29, 2012 -- 8:03PM, Yavanna wrote:

Olive oil for low temperature cooking, coconut oil for high temp. Vegetable oil needs to be avoided at all costs.

You should also avoid coconut oil at all costs since the cost to the environment is devastating. In Asia they are plowing under huge tracts of pristine rain forests and planting oil palms. I'm pretty sure it's the same plant. I do know that palm oil is in liquid laundry detergents so it is good to avoid them. The powder is much more eco friendly.

Well.... it appears that it is a different plant, but the same applies; they are cutting down tropical forests to plant a sterile monoculture of coconut palms.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 10:00PM #56
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 8:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

Olive oil for low temperature cooking, coconut oil for high temp. Vegetable oil needs to be avoided at all costs.

You should also avoid coconut oil at all costs since the cost to the environment is devastating. In Asia they are plowing under huge tracts of pristine rain forests and planting oil palms. I'm pretty sure it's the same plant. I do know that palm oil is in liquid laundry detergents so it is good to avoid them. The powder is much more eco friendly.

Well.... it appears that it is a different plant, but the same applies; they are cutting down tropical forests to plant a sterile monoculture of coconut palms.

The problem there is using it as a fuel. Cooking consumption is negligible and all the cooks of the world no longer using it wouldn't have any affect on the devastation.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 10:10PM #57
teilhard

Our ever-expanding Industrial-Economic-Agricultural Practices are pressing-changing a thousand important Physical and Biological Variables in a thousand Ecosystems Globally ...

We CAN'T keep-on-keeping-on DOING this ...

May 29, 2012 -- 10:00PM, Yavanna wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 8:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

The problem there is using it as a fuel. Cooking consumption is negligible and all the cooks of the world no longer using it wouldn't have any affect on the devastation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 11:18PM #58
mountain_man

It's all the uses combined that are the problem. Besides, the animals that used to live in that rain forest would disagree with you... oh, wait.... they're dead.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 11:24PM #59
teilhard

We Humans don't even yet realize that when we abuse Nature, we are KILLING  OURSELVES ...

May 29, 2012 -- 11:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

It's all the uses combined that are the problem. Besides, the animals that used to live in that rain forest would disagree with you... oh, wait.... they're dead.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 1:18AM #60
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 11:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

I can't argue with emotion.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel