Page 2 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 8:53PM #11
rabello

May 26, 2012 -- 7:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

There have been many, many research projects at reputable institutions studying the effects of diet on our health, and the vast majority of them show that consumption of meat just isn't that good for us.

Now, what is interesting about the latest study is that it includes legumes amongst the food items containing glycine, which I didn't know.  Since I am very fond of tofu, this was something that concerns me.  However, if it turns out that the glycine in soybeans is just as dangerous as that in meat, I'll simply stop eating soy products.

Where health is concerned, I don't take chances.

Well, the conventional wisdom appears to be "we're gonna die anyway, so lets do....nothing, and more specifically, lets study....nothing". "And"...when a scientific study comes out that isn't from the 1950s or 1960s, lets just poo-poo it".   It's high time non-smokers stop being so damned mean to smokers.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 02, 2012 - 03:14AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 9:24PM #12
teilhard

***So ... You never leave your House ... You avoid ALL Exposure to Sunlight ... You NEVER shake Hands with anyone or KISS anyone ... You drink only Water that YOU have distilled ... and eat ONLY Food that YOU have grown ...

WOW ... !!!

You must wash your Hands thoroughly about every twenty Minutes, or so ... ???

May 26, 2012 -- 7:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

I have never understood why people who have no real interest in a topic bother to post at all.

I guess they just get their jollies belittling everything and anything that takes their fancy.

Anyway, there have been many, many research projects at reputable institutions studying the effects of diet on our health, and the vast majority of them show that consumption of meat just isn't that good for us.

Now, what is interesting about the latest study is that it includes legumes amongst the food items containing glycine, which I didn't know.  Since I am very fond of tofu, this was something that concerns me.  However, if it turns out that the glycine in soybeans is just as dangerous as that in meat, I'll simply stop eating soy products.

***Where health is concerned, I don't take chances.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 9:36PM #13
rabello

May 26, 2012 -- 9:24PM, teilhard wrote:

***So ... You never leave your House ... You avoid ALL Exposure to Sunlight ... You NEVER shake Hands with anyone or KISS anyone ... You drink only Water that YOU have distilled ... and eat ONLY Food that YOU have grown ...

WOW ... !!!

What, exactly, do you have against this latest research report?  Have you done experiments that prove it's just "junk science" that only a vegetarian could be mislead by?

Personally, I think all legitimate scientific manuscripts are interesting and deserving of consideration and even -gulp - discussion(!) by interested parties.   I don't see what mockery adds to such discussion by non-interested parties.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 9:45PM #14
teilhard

Infamously, there ARE no un-interpreted Facts ...

The FACT is that a Diet that is varied and balanced and moderate, combined with a LifeStyle that includes Exercise, Social Interaction, and Meaningful Activities ... is "Healthy" ...

But ... There are "Studies" ... and there are "Studies" ... ONE Study ... or even a HANDFUL of Studies constitute just that ... The TRUTH is harder to get ...  

May 26, 2012 -- 9:36PM, rabello wrote:

May 26, 2012 -- 9:24PM, teilhard wrote:

WOW ... !!!

What, exactly, do you have against this latest research report?  Have you done experiments that prove it's just "junk science" that only a vegetarian could be mislead by?

Personally, I think all legitimate scientific manuscripts are interesting and deserving of consideration and even -gulp - discussion(!) by interested parties.   I don't see what mockery adds to such discussion by non-interested parties.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 9:59PM #15
mountain_man

May 26, 2012 -- 3:29PM, Ironhold wrote:

Actually, every few years there's a new to-do about the prospect of something or other potentially causing cancer. Although some cases are legitimate, others are just little more than scares based on questionable science.

Those claims are often based on feeding rats enormous amounts of something. In this case the equivalent of what they fed the rats would have amounted to several pounds a day for a human. That may give you a starting point for further studies, but to make an absolute claim that it definitely causes cancer is a bit less than professional or honest.

For example, the UK has banned the use of the food coloring Para Red as a potential carcinogen even though they don't have direct evidence that definitively establishes it to be so.

That happens a lot and is driven by hysteria not science. The anti vaccination hysteria is a good example; it's all based on one fraudulent "study" that was made up by a dishonest lawyer (sorry for the redundancy) trying to win a lawsuit.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 10:24PM #16
farragut

Glycine is an important building block for many proteins. It is quite important to the central nervous system, as a moment of research would disclose. It appears to be in no way a cause of cancer; it is used by some cancers as an important growth material. If you have a fast-growing cancer, your oncologist may elect to try to starve the cancer by depriving it of glycine. Otherwise, glycine is important to your health and happiness.

Anyone who likes to read and try to understand the world around them might want to look at Michael Fumento's book, "Science Under Siege".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 11:33PM #17
rangerken

Let' debate the topic and not those who comment about it please. Yes, the Hot topics Zone has looser rules, but there's no reason for acting in an out and out rude way. So please don't! Some posts were removed because of this.

This is a valid topic. Discuss it...not those who chose to discuss it!

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 12:22AM #18
solfeggio

Whenever I find some study that pertains to our dietary habits, I read it with much interest because I'm always looking for information.  I've always been like that, mainly because diet is the one area of our lives over which we have some control. 

Extensive reading about the effects of saturated fat in our bodies led our family to go veggie many years ago.  What I have never understood is why people would persist in eating something, even in small quantities, that they knew could harm them.

And I have to say that I've never understood why some people persist in making fun of any sort of criticism of our western diet.

The subject here is a valid scientific study done by respected professionals.  If what they have discovered could help somebody avoid developing cancer some day, what is so funny about that?

As far as my comment that I'm concerned about my health - Of COURSE I'm concerned.  Who wants to get a disease - any disease - if you don't have to?  And who the bloody hell would take a chance of developing a horrible disease like cancer IF YOU COULD AVOID IT simply by changing your eating habits?

So, yeah, if I found out that eating tofu just might be a factor in my someday getting some sort of cancer, of course I'm not going to eat it.  It's not as if we don't have a plethora of all sorts of foods available to us all the time. 

I'm 70 years old and I'd like to live another few decades if possible, so YEAH! I am a careful person.  I eat as healthy a diet as I can, look both ways before crossing a street, get regular medical check-ups, and do a lot of walking. 

Oh, and do I wash my hands a lot? YES!!!  My husband and I run a cat rescue sanctuary which entails a lot of changing litter boxes, so of course I'm going to wash my hands after doing that.  I wash my hands after dishing out the food to the cats, too, because I'd prefer not to have cat food remnants in the food I'm going to be eating myself.

I wash my hands when coming back from shopping, too, because, gee, I guess I'm just a health nut, but after handing merchandise in shops I'd really prefer to have clean hands when I'm preparing food in the kitchen at home.

So sue me.

Moderated by rangerken on May 27, 2012 - 12:58AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:08AM #19
Hatman
solf-
i have read many reports concerning cancer over the years, especially about ways to avoid the typical "cut-burn-poison using the most expensive methods available" method of Standard Western Oncology "treatment."

At any rate, one of the things i read is that cancers are anaerobic, and love sugar.

Hence the often-successful hyperbaric treatments and/or the Budwig protocol.

So like another poster said, if you GET cancer, kill it by any means possible(i've also read that Vitamin B-17, aka amygdaline or laetrile) contains a peculiar kind of cyanide, specifically keyed/genetically coded to attach itself ONLY to cancer cells and kill them.

The highest natural concentrations of B-17 are found in apricot seeds(kernels), hence the FDA goons-in-the-employ-of-Big-Pharma conducting raids on those selling apricot seeds, guns drawn, full tyranny mode engaged.

But trace amounts of this kind of cyanide, i've read, are in all seeds of all fruits except those in the citrus family.

My grandfather didn't know this, but when he ate apples, he ate them---core, seeds, everything---which probably accounts for his never getting cancer of any kind his whole life.

Word to the wise.

BTW, if you want to have some fun, google "Run From the Cure" and when you find it, watch the movie.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 1:35AM #20
teilhard

***The Problem is that Studies of Human Diet and Nutrition are notoriously DIFFICULT to design, to carry out, and to interpret ...

NOBODY develops Cancer today from what (s)he did or ate just last Week ... Longitudinal Studies take a LONG Time ... And Self-Reporting on Diet is VERY unreliable ...

So such Studies are ALWAYS highly questionable ... ALWAYS ...

May 27, 2012 -- 12:22AM, solfeggio wrote:

Whenever I find some study that pertains to our dietary habits, I read it with much interest because I'm always looking for information.  I've always been like that, mainly because diet is the one area of our lives over which we have some control. 

Extensive reading about the effects of saturated fat in our bodies led our family to go veggie many years ago.  What I have never understood is why people would persist in eating something, even in small quantities, that they knew could harm them.

And I have to say that I've never understood why some people persist in making fun of any sort of criticism of our western diet.

The subject here is a valid scientific study done by respected professionals.  If what they have discovered could help somebody avoid developing cancer some day, what is so funny about that?

As far as my comment that I'm concerned about my health - Of COURSE I'm concerned.  ***Who wants to get a disease - any disease - if you don't have to?  And who the bloody hell would take a chance of developing a horrible disease like cancer IF YOU COULD AVOID IT simply by changing your eating habits?

So, yeah, if I found out that eating tofu just might be a factor in my someday getting some sort of cancer, of course I'm not going to eat it.  It's not as if we don't have a plethora of all sorts of foods available to us all the time. 

I'm 70 years old and I'd like to live another few decades if possible, so YEAH! I am a careful person.  I eat as healthy a diet as I can, look both ways before crossing a street, get regular medical check-ups, and do a lot of walking. 

Oh, and do I wash my hands a lot? YES!!!  My husband and I run a cat rescue sanctuary which entails a lot of changing litter boxes, so of course I'm going to wash my hands after doing that.  I wash my hands after dishing out the food to the cats, too, because I'd prefer not to have cat food remnants in the food I'm going to be eating myself.

I wash my hands when coming back from shopping, too, because, gee, I guess I'm just a health nut, but after handing merchandise in shops I'd really prefer to have clean hands when I'm preparing food in the kitchen at home.

So sue me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook