Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:03PM #81
solfeggio

Irene -

Thank you for your post.

And, unlike the others, thank you for being decent enough for actually giving me a straight answer to a straight question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:04PM #82
mountain_man

May 31, 2012 -- 1:39AM, Yavanna wrote:

You should probably avoid any and all food then....

You can't argue with hyperbole.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:11PM #83
solfeggio

Oh, and mm, the vegan diet has not been associated with colon cancer.  No one nutrient appears to be important for reducing colon cancer risk, but the vegetarian diet seems to protect best against cancers of all types.

However, regular consumption of red meat has been linked with increased risk of colon cancer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:58PM #84
mountain_man

May 31, 2012 -- 10:11PM, solfeggio wrote:

Oh, and mm, the vegan diet has not been associated with colon cancer.....

It has. I quote:

UK researchers found that vegetarians had a lower overall cancer rate than meat eaters, but contrary to suggestions from other studies, they found a higher rate of colorectal cancer among the vegetarians than among the meat eaters.

Source.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 11:04PM #85
Erey

From Yvanna:

"I'm really happy it's paid off for you. My wife and I have eliminated wheat from our diet "

I want to take a minute to chime in because I think it might be very important for some of you (not everyone).  My husband and his mother have had significant IBS issues for many years.  We sort of laughed at all the people who were going glutten free and thought they were being fussy and high maintinance. 

Well I found an exerpt of a book out now called Wheat Belly and gave it to my husband.  What he read described his symptoms enough for him to want to give it a try.  For almost 6 weeks now both he and his mother have been wheat/glutten free.  Let me tell you it has totally changed their lives!  IBS symptoms gone immediately, 10 pounds lost in the first two weeks, food cravings greatly reduced, joint pain almost eliminated.  My mother in law has stable blood sugar for the first time in years and they are going to remove her diabites meds.  They are also impressed with her colesterol levels as well.  It is very remarkable.

What I have learned is that the wheat out today is called dwarf wheat.  Which was developed in the mid 1980's and was all over the market by the 1990s is not at all the wheat we ate before the mid 80's.  It is geneticaly modified, it has a totally different number of chromosomes, it is really not even wheat at all.  The good news is dwarf wheat is very cheap and very productive and has made a huge dent in hunger.   The wheat we ate before had about 6 glutten protiens in it.  Dwarf wheat has much, much more than that.

So I will say to anyone with any sort of nagging health issues, esp. IBS issues but even aches and pains or brain fog to consider going gluten free for a few days and see if that makes a difference. 

That is pretty much all they changed in their diets, the gluten.  They kept everything else the same and made the same food choices as before. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 1:57AM #86
CharikIeia

May 31, 2012 -- 10:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

Irene -

Thank you for your post.

And, unlike the others, thank you for being decent enough for actually giving me a straight answer to a straight question.

That might improve if you were not talking about people in third person that actually could be addressed by talking to them in second person. As they say, you will reap what you sow.

I.o.w., where exactly was it, your last "straight question"?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 12:44AM #87
solfeggio

mm -

The study in the source talks about the vegetarian - not the vegan - diet.  And even that study has been disputed.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/07...

There is a significant difference between the average vegetarian diet and the vegan diet.

Plant-based diets are generally considered to be cancer protective, but few studies have directly addressed this question.  However, direct and indirect evidence taken together suggest that vegetarian diets are a useful strategy for cancer prevention.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 11:20AM #88
mountain_man

Jun 2, 2012 -- 12:44AM, solfeggio wrote:

The study in the source talks about the vegetarian - not the vegan - diet.  And even that study has been disputed.....

Oh, don't worry. I had absolutely no doubt what so ever that it would be impossible for you to accept the findings of that study. I posted it so that others can see that vegan or vegetarian food choices are not as pure and sanctified as some are trying to claim.The study I linked to was no better, or no worse, than any other study.

Some of these cancers people like to claim that meat eaters get are GOING to get have a low percentage rate anyway. Let's say the RISK doubles. That would means the chance of getting a specific cancer would jump from TWO PERCENT to four percent. BFD! Eating meat does not CAUSE cancer. Not every meat eater WILL get cancer. Trying to make it look like every meat eater will die from cancer just detracts from that person's credibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 10:34PM #89
Amycain

wow this is incredible info will have to consider going gluten free!!!

May 31, 2012 -- 11:04PM, Erey wrote:

From Yvanna:

"I'm really happy it's paid off for you. My wife and I have eliminated wheat from our diet "

I want to take a minute to chime in because I think it might be very important for some of you (not everyone).  My husband and his mother have had significant IBS issues for many years.  We sort of laughed at all the people who were going glutten free and thought they were being fussy and high maintinance. 

Well I found an exerpt of a book out now called Wheat Belly and gave it to my husband.  What he read described his symptoms enough for him to want to give it a try.  For almost 6 weeks now both he and his mother have been wheat/glutten free.  Let me tell you it has totally changed their lives!  IBS symptoms gone immediately, 10 pounds lost in the first two weeks, food cravings greatly reduced, joint pain almost eliminated.  My mother in law has stable blood sugar for the first time in years and they are going to remove her diabites meds.  They are also impressed with her colesterol levels as well.  It is very remarkable.

What I have learned is that the wheat out today is called dwarf wheat.  Which was developed in the mid 1980's and was all over the market by the 1990s is not at all the wheat we ate before the mid 80's.  It is geneticaly modified, it has a totally different number of chromosomes, it is really not even wheat at all.  The good news is dwarf wheat is very cheap and very productive and has made a huge dent in hunger.   The wheat we ate before had about 6 glutten protiens in it.  Dwarf wheat has much, much more than that.

So I will say to anyone with any sort of nagging health issues, esp. IBS issues but even aches and pains or brain fog to consider going gluten free for a few days and see if that makes a difference. 

That is pretty much all they changed in their diets, the gluten.  They kept everything else the same and made the same food choices as before. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 11:03PM #90
mountain_man

Jun 9, 2012 -- 10:34PM, Amycain wrote:

wow this is incredible info will have to consider going gluten free!!!

It's a fad. Everyone I know that went "gluten free" was back within a year. Unless one has Ciliac disease there is no medical reason to exclude wheat or wheat products from your diet.

One thing though.... "Gluten free" soy sauce is the best. Wheat changes the whole flavor profile in such a way that makes it bitter tasting and bland at the same time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook