Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 1:46AM #61
solfeggio

teilhard -

I think that if more people followed your dietary regime there would be far fewer heart attacks and cancer in the U.S., as well as much less obesity.  I really believe that, and I'm sorry I didn't say it before.

Also, I completely agree with your comment that when we abuse nature we are abusing ourselves.

However, I have to say that comments about vegans being 'missionary zealots' really annoy me.  Since I am the only vegan posting on Beliefnet (that I know of), and being well aware that anybody who dares to go against the accepted cultural food beliefs is regarded as a kook, I am very sensitive where this sort of thing is concerned.

Vegetarians and vegans are just people who are trying to live a healthier life, and vegans in particular are also trying to live a more animal-friendly life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 2:16AM #62
solfeggio

There were some comments about oils used for cooking.  Nobody should ever buy palm oil for the obvious reasons.  For human consumption, olive oil is the best, and the best oils to cook with are the monounsaturated ones such as canola oil and peanut oil.  Safflower oil is good, too.

You can fry eggs in bacon grease every morning for breakfast, as most people do, of course, but you will be eating a processed meat product containing the highly carcinogenic sodium nitrite.  In fact, a high consumption of processed meat has been positively linked with prostate and pancreatic cancer. 

As well, eating 50g of processed meat every day increases a person's risk of developing both heart disease and diabetes.  What is 50g?  That would be one sausage or two medium rashers of bacon, or a slice of salami.

With all the evidence we now have that processed meats are lethal, it is surprising that people still indulge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 5:41AM #63
CharikIeia

May 30, 2012 -- 2:16AM, solfeggio wrote:

... the highly carcinogenic sodium nitrite.  

You undermine your own credibility when posting such sentences, solfeggio.

Nitrosamines are carcinogenic, not nitrite. You can perfectly avoid nitrosamines by properly cooking (i.e., not frying) the nitrite-containing meat. In fact, the human body produces so much nitrite when degrading nitric oxide that the consumed few milligrams per day from processed meat don't weigh very heavy at all. Besides this, you may be surprised to learn that when chewing lettuce, your saliva transforms the sodium nitrate in the green healthy food into sodium nitrite!!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 9:12AM #64
Marcion

Decades of cancer research and BNet Bozos have all the answers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 9:46AM #65
teilhard

***Rather an oddly distorted notion ... I don't know ANYONE who does that any more ...

There were some comments about oils used for cooking.  Nobody should ever buy palm oil for the obvious reasons.  For human consumption, olive oil is the best, and the best oils to cook with are the monounsaturated ones such as canola oil and peanut oil.  Safflower oil is good, too.

***You can fry eggs in bacon grease every morning for breakfast, as most people do, of course, but you will be eating a processed meat product containing the highly carcinogenic sodium nitrite.  In fact, a high consumption of processed meat has been positively linked with prostate and pancreatic cancer. 

As well, eating 50g of processed meat every day increases a person's risk of developing both heart disease and diabetes.  What is 50g?  That would be one sausage or two medium rashers of bacon, or a slice of salami.

With all the evidence we now have that processed meats are lethal, it is surprising that people still indulge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:04AM #66
Girlchristian

You can fry eggs in bacon grease every morning for breakfast, as most people do, of course, but you will be eating a processed meat product containing the highly carcinogenic sodium nitrite.  In fact, a high consumption of processed meat has been positively linked with prostate and pancreatic cancer. 

Who on earth do you hang out with? I dont know anyone that eats bacon daily much less fries an egg in bacon grease. Most of the folks I know, even the unhealthy eaters, either dont eat breakfast or eat cereal or yogurt. For many, coffee is their breakfast.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 12:22PM #67
Marcion

Skipping breakfast is a big nutritional no no.

The only benefit I know of for bacon is keeping your dog's coat healthy( advice from my vet).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:48PM #68
teilhard

So ... Does Fido get The Slab-of-Bacon Rub-Down before or after The Bacon is fried ... ???

May 30, 2012 -- 12:22PM, Marcion wrote:

The only benefit I know of for bacon is keeping your dog's coat healthy( advice from my vet).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:53PM #69
Yavanna

For human consumption it's still coconut oil for me. Olive oil will take second place. I avoid canola oil like the plague. There is also a difference between palm oil and cocounut oil. The higher the saturated fat, the better oil it is for me.

As for processed meats I agree. That's why I don't eat processed meats. Grass fed, organic meat only.

The problem isn't meat (unless you're a vegan and don't want to eat other animals). The problem is processed foods and chemistry gone wrong.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:56PM #70
Yavanna

May 30, 2012 -- 12:22PM, Marcion wrote:

Only if you're hungry. If you're not hungry then you shouldn't eat. Eating when not hungry is the best way to get fat quick. This includes eating every two hours.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next