Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:57PM #1
solfeggio
What is glycine and how is it related to cancer? 

Glycine is a nonessential amino acid found in sugar cane, and such high-protein foods as meat, fish, dairy and legumes.  A new study, from the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to be published in Science, has shown that fast-growing cancer cells have an appetite for glycine.

bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellnes...

uk.news.yahoo.com/study-shows-cancer-cel...

This news is interesting in light of the results of another study, released only two months ago and published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, showing a link between red meat and cancer, and cardiovascular disease as well.

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/r...   

archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?do...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 12:28AM #2
mountain_man

Life causes cancer. I'm sure that if you ate several pounds of glycine (a human equivalent of what they fed the rats) , or anything else, you'd come down with some kind of cancer.

One thing to remember; anyone that has died in the past 50 years ate carrots within 2 months of dying.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 3:29PM #3
Ironhold

Actually, every few years there's a new to-do about the prospect of something or other potentially causing cancer. Although some cases are legitimate, others are just little more than scares based on questionable science.

For example, the UK has banned the use of the food coloring Para Red as a potential carcinogen even though they don't have direct evidence that definitively establishes it to be so.

Moderated by rangerken on May 27, 2012 - 12:54AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 4:06PM #4
Stardove

Funny after seeing this thread I noticed this post from a friend on Facebook:

HEALTH TIP: Eat more asparagus! Asparagus contains large amounts of glutathione, a small protein composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine. Glutathione has been called the “master antioxidant” and is one of the keys to a healthy immune system. Glutathione removes toxins from cells, protects against radiation, and is a potent cancer fighter! It also binds to fat-soluble toxins so it's an excellent detoxifier. Asparagus, next to orange juice, is regarded as the second best whole foods source of folic acid (also known as vitamin B9 or folacin). Folic acid is known to lower the risk of heart disease, colon cancer, liver disease, and spina bifida. Asparagus is also rich in vitamin C and vitamin A, both of which are cancer-blocking vitamins, as well as the mineral selenium. These three nutrients have been singled out in several studies as potent cancer fighters.

Facts about Glutathione

“the greater the exposure to toxins, the faster the body uses up its supply
glutathione.  Without the protection of Glutathione, cells die at a faster
rate, making people age quicker & putting them at risk for toxin induced
diseases including cancer.”

This is most likely a "take what you want and leave the rest" about which viewpoint is correct.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 4:19PM #5
teilhard

I guess Beans, Lentils, and Peas are *off*limits* too ...

May 25, 2012 -- 11:57PM, solfeggio wrote:

What is glycine and how is it related to cancer? 

Glycine is a nonessential amino acid found in sugar cane, and such high-protein foods as meat, fish, dairy and legumes.  A new study, from the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to be published in Science, has shown that fast-growing cancer cells have an appetite for glycine.

bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellnes...

uk.news.yahoo.com/study-shows-cancer-cel...

This news is interesting in light of the results of another study, released only two months ago and published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, showing a link between red meat and cancer, and cardiovascular disease as well.

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/r...   

archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?do...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 7:43PM #6
solfeggio

There have been many, many research projects at reputable institutions studying the effects of diet on our health, and the vast majority of them show that consumption of meat just isn't that good for us.

Now, what is interesting about the latest study is that it includes legumes amongst the food items containing glycine, which I didn't know.  Since I am very fond of tofu, this was something that concerns me.  However, if it turns out that the glycine in soybeans is just as dangerous as that in meat, I'll simply stop eating soy products.

Where health is concerned, I don't take chances.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 02, 2012 - 03:08AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 7:56PM #7
LeahOne

There's also a link between sleep apnea and cancer.

The question is how strong a correlation is there for any of these assorted factors, and what factors in combination seem to exacerbate the risks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 8:02PM #8
Fodaoson

There is also a link between living and getting cancer. The younger people die the less the cancer rate of occurrence.    And  medicine, healthy eating  does not prevent death, just delays in  some cases . 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 8:16PM #9
IreneAdler

Glycine is one of the amino acids that the body synthesizes from serine. It is called "non-essential" because one does not need to derive it from external sources- not because it is not needed by the body.

So, should we be finding ways to halt the bodies' synthesis of glycine (that would be foolish!) or, perhaps use this knowledge as an aid to diagnosis of cancer or even as a way to snuff a cancer?  Thinking of a therapy that takes glycine and attaches to it something harmful to the cancer (yet not harmful to the body). The cancer takes up the glycine in quantity and soon succumbs to the attached harmful agent.

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 8:30PM #10
farragut

Almost every plant product in the supermarket contains natural animal carcinogens. Among them are coffee, tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate, cabbage, apples, bananas, brocolli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, celery, cocoa, grapefruit, melons, mushrooms, mustard, oranges, peaches, raspberries, and turnips. This by no means an exhaustive list. And the amount of natural carcinogens in foods dwarfs any amount of exposure from synthetic products.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook