Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:43PM #41
Roodog

May 29, 2012 -- 6:33PM, Yavanna wrote:

You point to a horrific exception and try to make it the rule.

An exception? I do not think so.

Trail of Tears 1830

Armenian Genocide 1915-16

The Ukranian famine/genocide by Stalin 1932-33

The Bangladesh Genocide by Pakistan 1971

Cambodia 1975-76

Rwanda 1994

Kosovo

Darfur

Do I really need to go on?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:44PM #42
solfeggio

As a realist, I have to agree with Roodog. 

That phrase - 'May you live in interesting times' - which is also known as the Chinese curse, does seem apt these days, as we witness the fulfillment of that curse.

The U.S. isn't the only country where things are going downhill, though. 

Far away across the sea, my own country of New Zealand has this week been slammed by a World Wildlife Fund report showing that we have been shamefully neglectful of our environment, including a high rate of biodiversity loss, have allowed dairy and sheep farming to pollute our water supplies, and have not stopped putting methane into the atmosphere.

www.stuff.co.nz/environment/6998244/NZ-f...

In the twenty years since the Rio Earth Summit, we've done virtually nothing to improve not only our own environment, but our planet's.

And, sadly, we're not the only country that has done nothing.  Now there is going to be another global development summit coming up, but the outlook for change isn't optimistic.

What is wrong with us as a species that we cannot see the writing on the wall and do something before it's too late?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:47PM #43
mytmouse57

May 29, 2012 -- 6:43PM, Roodog wrote:

Trail of Tears 1830

Cambodia 1975-76

Rwanda 1994

Kosovo

Darfur

Far more people still did/do good, or at least don't hurt anybody. While any of those things was going on, the vast majority of humanity still continued to do good/do no harm.

I'm an optimist, and a humanist, insofar as I'm a believer in the spirit and ability of human beings to overcome our challenges. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:05PM #44
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 6:43PM, Roodog wrote:

Trail of Tears 1830

The Ukranian famine/genocide by Stalin 1932-33

The Bangladesh Genocide by Pakistan 1971

Cambodia 1975-76

Rwanda 1994

Kosovo

Darfur

Do I need to go back through history and site all the other wanton slaughter too... ? What's your point?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:10PM #45
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 6:44PM, solfeggio wrote:

That phrase - 'May you live in interesting times' - which is also known as the Chinese curse, does seem apt these days, as we witness the fulfillment of that curse.

Far away across the sea, my own country of New Zealand has this week been slammed by a World Wildlife Fund report showing that we have been shamefully neglectful of our environment, including a high rate of biodiversity loss, have allowed dairy and sheep farming to pollute our water supplies, and have not stopped putting methane into the atmosphere.

In the twenty years since the Rio Earth Summit, we've done virtually nothing to improve not only our own environment, but our planet's.

And, sadly, we're not the only country that has done nothing.  Now there is going to be another global development summit coming up, but the outlook for change isn't optimistic.

What is wrong with us as a species that we cannot see the writing on the wall and do something before it's too late?

I wasn't aware things were going downhill in the U.S.

I've only been aware of the usual turmoil. Current times are certainly vastly improved on since the 60s-80s.

Twenty years ago AIDS was a death sentence. It was viewed as "gay  cancer". Ten years ago gay marriage wasn't even on the radar. In the 2004 election no one would have guessed the main candidates of the democratic party would be a woman and a black man.

The death toll in Iraq and Afghanistan combined is nothing compared to Vietnam. The Occupy & Tea Party protests are nothing compared to the race riots of the 60s and 70s. The anti-war protests are also a pale comparison.

While the shooting of Ms. Giffords was terrible, it's a much different climate than when MLK, JFK and RFK (among others) were gunned down.

There isn't any "realism" about the idea that things are getting worse. It's an inability to look at all the good accomplished and realize every day more people choose to do good over evil. How else do you think we survived the Cold War?

From where I'm sitting things are looking great.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 2:29PM #46
mytmouse57

May 29, 2012 -- 8:10PM, Yavanna wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 6:44PM, solfeggio wrote:

I wasn't aware things were going downhill in the U.S.

I've only been aware of the usual turmoil. Current times are certainly vastly improved on since the 60s-80s.

Twenty years ago AIDS was a death sentence. It was viewed as "gay  cancer". Ten years ago gay marriage wasn't even on the radar. In the 2004 election no one would have guessed the main candidates of the democratic party would be a woman and a black man.

The death toll in Iraq and Afghanistan combined is nothing compared to Vietnam. The Occupy & Tea Party protests are nothing compared to the race riots of the 60s and 70s. The anti-war protests are also a pale comparison.

While the shooting of Ms. Giffords was terrible, it's a much different climate than when MLK, JFK and RFK (among others) were gunned down.

There isn't any "realism" about the idea that things are getting worse. It's an inability to look at all the good accomplished and realize every day more people choose to do good over evil. How else do you think we survived the Cold War?

From where I'm sitting things are looking great.

All good points. 

Just to reiterate one point -- Not to minimize the suffering and anxiety of any family with a loved one in military service -- but folks who think things are bad now, might want to take another look at the causilty rates from Gettysburg, Verdun, Passendale, the Battle of the Bulge, Normandy, Iwo Jima, the three years in Korea.. and so on. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 3:09PM #47
mainecaptain

The person who did this is an evil bast**d. He made a shooting target in the shape of a innocent MURDERED child. It could have been anyone's child. And this jerk profited from the MURDER of  Innocent Child.

By encouraging more killing.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 9:38PM #48
Roodog

May 30, 2012 -- 3:09PM, mainecaptain wrote:

The person who did this is an evil bast**d. He made a shooting target in the shape of a innocent MURDERED child. It could have been anyone's child. And this jerk profited from the MURDER of  Innocent Child.

By encouraging more killing.

And declared open season on "N*****s" which will be catastrophic.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook