Post Reply
Page 2 of 47  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Strong Support for Gay Marriage Now Exceeds Strong Opposition
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 11:57AM #11
Ken
Posts: 33,860

May 24, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 23, 2012 -- 9:12PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

First you say, "I neither support nor oppose gay marriage."


Then you say, "Philosophically/morally I oppose gay marriage"


And you wonder why you are not believed.




No, you don't believe me. 


Which does not matter to me. 


I know what I think. If you don't, or refuse to, understand, that's irrelevant.



You don't discern a certain contradiction between "I neither support nor oppose" and "I oppose"? Curious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 12:03PM #12
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,767

May 24, 2012 -- 11:57AM, Ken wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 23, 2012 -- 9:12PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

First you say, "I neither support nor oppose gay marriage."


Then you say, "Philosophically/morally I oppose gay marriage"


And you wonder why you are not believed.




No, you don't believe me. 


Which does not matter to me. 


I know what I think. If you don't, or refuse to, understand, that's irrelevant.



You don't discern a certain contradiction between "I neither support nor oppose" and "I oppose"? Curious.




As a legal matter, I neither support or opppose it. Because this thread deals with gay marriage as a legal/political matter in the United States, I though that was understood.


 I choose to simply stay out of that particular contest. Nor do I particularly care what others think, either way.  


As a moral/philosophical matter, I personally oppose it, but don't consider what other people do to be any of my business. Nor do I have the slightest desire to make it my business.


But, again, I did not think this thread dealt with that aspect of it -- only the legal/political aspect.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 12:56PM #13
Do_unto_others
Posts: 7,813

May 24, 2012 -- 12:03PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 11:57AM, Ken wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 23, 2012 -- 9:12PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

First you say, "I neither support nor oppose gay marriage."


Then you say, "Philosophically/morally I oppose gay marriage"


And you wonder why you are not believed.




No, you don't believe me. 


Which does not matter to me. 


I know what I think. If you don't, or refuse to, understand, that's irrelevant.



You don't discern a certain contradiction between "I neither support nor oppose" and "I oppose"? Curious.




As a legal matter, I neither support or opppose it. Because this thread deals with gay marriage as a legal/political matter in the United States, I though that was understood.



NO, it wasn't. Nor is it.


May 24, 2012 -- 12:03PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


As a moral/philosophical matter, I personally oppose it, but don't consider what other people do to be any of my business. Nor do I have the slightest desire to make it my business.


But, again, I did not think this thread dealt with that aspect of it -- only the legal/political aspect.





You certainly do sound conflicted. I'm with Ken on this one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:00PM #14
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,767

May 24, 2012 -- 12:56PM, Do_unto_others wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 12:03PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 11:57AM, Ken wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 11:30AM, mytmouse57 wrote:


May 23, 2012 -- 9:12PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

First you say, "I neither support nor oppose gay marriage."


Then you say, "Philosophically/morally I oppose gay marriage"


And you wonder why you are not believed.




No, you don't believe me. 


Which does not matter to me. 


I know what I think. If you don't, or refuse to, understand, that's irrelevant.



You don't discern a certain contradiction between "I neither support nor oppose" and "I oppose"? Curious.




As a legal matter, I neither support or opppose it. Because this thread deals with gay marriage as a legal/political matter in the United States, I though that was understood.



NO, it wasn't. Nor is it.


May 24, 2012 -- 12:03PM, mytmouse57 wrote:


As a moral/philosophical matter, I personally oppose it, but don't consider what other people do to be any of my business. Nor do I have the slightest desire to make it my business.


But, again, I did not think this thread dealt with that aspect of it -- only the legal/political aspect.





You certainly do sound conflicted. I'm with Ken on this one.




Nope. Not conflicted at all. It's completely feasible to think one way about something, personally, but to not project that into a larger political/social/legal issue. And/or to just sit things out, as it were.


It's called detached reasoning. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:39PM #15
Do_unto_others
Posts: 7,813

"My sister. My daughter. My sister. My daughter." - Robert Towne, "Chinatown"


"I'm not opposed. I oppose it. I'm not opposed. I oppose it." - mytmouse57, "Beliefnet"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:48PM #16
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,767

May 24, 2012 -- 1:39PM, Do_unto_others wrote:


"My sister. My daughter. My sister. My daughter." - Robert Towne, "Chinatown"


"I'm not opposed. I oppose it. I'm not opposed. I oppose it." - mytmouse57, "Beliefnet"




You can continue to muse about my personal feelings. Or, there can be an objective dicussion of the issue at hand.


I expect support for gay marriage to keep growing. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 6:27PM #17
solfeggio
Posts: 8,528

Because they are human beings, gay people deserve the same rights and privileges as other human beings, which would of course include the right to marry whomever they choose.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 8:29PM #18
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,657

May 24, 2012 -- 6:27PM, solfeggio wrote:


Because they are human beings, gay people deserve the same rights and privileges as other human beings, which would of course include the right to marry whomever they choose.


 




Exactly. All human being should have equal rights, sexual orientation should not be be discussed, it is irrelevant to human and civil rights.


All consenting, adult, human beings, should be able to marry the consenting, adult, human being, of their choice. Regardless of whether that consenting, adult, human being, is the same sex or not.


And that is but one of the civil and human rights gay people should have. They should also have all the same civil rights protections, such as housing, and job, and all others. That so many republican bastards are taking away from them.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 1:45AM #19
Thetwofish
Posts: 547

May 24, 2012 -- 8:29PM, mainecaptain wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 6:27PM, solfeggio wrote:


Because they are human beings, gay people deserve the same rights and privileges as other human beings, which would of course include the right to marry whomever they choose.


 




Exactly. All human being should have equal rights, sexual orientation should not be be discussed, it is irrelevant to human and civil rights.


All consenting, adult, human beings, should be able to marry the consenting, adult, human being, of their choice. Regardless of whether that consenting, adult, human being, is the same sex or not.


And that is but one of the civil and human rights gay people should have. They should also have all the same civil rights protections, such as housing, and job, and all others. That so many republican bastards are taking away from them.





Preach it Baby!!!


I love ya girl...


Soul Sista...


We should organize a million gay march...


Has that happened yet???  That would be an amazing thing if it could get done.  March AGAINST DOMA and show support for our friends, loved ones and strangers and speak loud and clear that WE ARE HERE and ARE NOT GOING AWAY!!!


Damnit...


Peace


<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 3:27AM #20
CharikIeia
Posts: 8,303

May 24, 2012 -- 6:27PM, solfeggio wrote:


Because they are human beings, gay people deserve the same rights and privileges as other human beings...



This kind of reasoning is stupid.


Marriage is not a human right, getting tax breaks is not a human right.


What about property rights? Because poor people are human beings, shouldn't they have the same rights to property as rich people? Why should a person born rich be able to spend more than a person born poor?


And the disenfranchisements from being poor are MUCH MORE RELEVANT than the disenfranchisements from not being able to marry, if you would like to put things into perspective just a little bit!


Gay marriage is a luxury problem, like being able to buy a Porsche instead of being forced to just buy a BMW.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 47  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook