Page 6 of 47  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Strong Support for Gay Marriage Now Exceeds Strong Opposition
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:45AM #51
farragut

Perhaps you could tell us, what is the general attitude toward marriage?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:54AM #52
Do_unto_others

May 28, 2012 -- 2:46PM, karbie wrote:

Marriage is something that grows and evolves--this year will be our 35th wedding anniversary. I never dreamed I'd be disabled, and the fact that my husband has stood by me even during the times I'm basically useless means a great deal to me.

You are not "useless". My husband is currently 'disabled' (had a knee replacement 2 weeks ago and got an infectin in the hospital that requires a 24/7 intravenous drip, among other complications). And, after more than a quarter of a century, it is still my pleasure to care for him.

I hope to see gays getting married in religious ceremonies and/or civil unions become the law of the land.

"[G]ays getting married in religious ceremonies" is already happening, and has been happening for more than EIGHT YEARS now in America. It already IS "the law of the land" since any same-gender couple can get legally married in a number of jurisdictions with no residency requirement. These so-called "civil" unions are a distraction that dilutes and wastes the valuable time, energy and resources that should be put towards achieving Constitutionally 'promised' equal  protections of the laws" for ALL citizens.

If a couple is deeply in love and want to get married, they should be able to do so without pickets or hate-mongers around them.

Heck, Americans can't even have a funeral "without pickets or hate-mongers".

I'm really tired of people using "I'm a Christian" to justify whatever petty or monstrous thing they want to inflict on all of us.

Me too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:58AM #53
Do_unto_others

May 28, 2012 -- 5:45PM, CharikIeia wrote:

May 28, 2012 -- 2:30PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

It isn't JUST getting married that's important. It's being treated equally before the laws - ALL of them.

I'd believe you if at face value, people weren't campaigning pro marriage as if that were the prime and important topic...

Because of the 1,176 Federal "effects that flow from marriage" actually do "flow from marriage", my "campaign" encompasses "being treated equally before the laws - ALL of them". Your 'belief' is rather moot.

May 28, 2012 -- 2:30PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Why should I care for US laws?

Um, this may come as a surprise to you, but this discussion is ABOUT US laws.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 10:45AM #54
Do_unto_others

May 29, 2012 -- 12:58AM, Ebon wrote:

May 28, 2012 -- 8:33PM, Ken wrote:

Human right, civil right - what's the difference?

There is a difference. One is rights which are universal and accorded through the simple fact of being human. The other are rights accorded by a particular society to citizens of that society. In practice though, the distinction is only of interest to philosophers and legal theorists.

Incidently, Article 12 of the European Convention on Human Rights (which the UK are signatories to and functions as our Bill of Rights) does classify marriage as a human right.

As does the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 11:10AM #55
mountain_man

May 29, 2012 -- 10:45AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

As does the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Article 16.

• (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
  • (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
  • (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:20PM #56
CharikIeia

May 29, 2012 -- 9:45AM, farragut wrote:

Yes I could, but I don't think you'd learn anything new.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:23PM #57
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 1:20PM, CharikIeia wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 9:45AM, farragut wrote:

Yes I could, but I don't think you'd learn anything new.

Then you're serving no purpose in this discussion, Chari. Unless you have something to add on topic, can we leave the anti-marriage lectures out of it? Tongue Out

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:29PM #58
CharikIeia

May 29, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Yavanna wrote:

Then you're serving no purpose in this discussion, Chari.

Let's humanise this a bit, will you, Yavanna?

The question is not actually, "What purpose do we serve for this discussion?",
but "What purpose does the discussion serve for every single one of us?"

In my case, I can say: it reifies my suspicion against the outdated institution...

What about you?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 1:34PM #59
Yavanna

May 29, 2012 -- 1:29PM, CharikIeia wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Yavanna wrote:

Then you're serving no purpose in this discussion, Chari.

Let's humanise this a bit, will you, Yavanna?

The question is not actually, "What purpose do we serve for this discussion?",
but "What purpose does the discussion serve for every single one of us?"

In my case, I can say: it reifies my suspicion against the outdated institution...

What about you?

I can't really say. The discussion has been hijacked for your marriage predjudice. Tongue Out

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:17PM #60
Ken

Marriage may or may not be crap. That is not the point of this thread. The entire point of this thread is that if straights can marry, gays should be able to marry too. And the gay marriages shouldn't be called "civil unions," "domestic partnerships," "connubial contraptions," or some other stupid name. They should be called "marriages," and any straights who don't like it should be told where to shove it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 47  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook