Page 25 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next
Switch to Forum Live View North Carolina Pastor: Put Gays And Lesbians In Electrified Pen To Kill Them Off
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 12:09AM #241
solfeggio

I cannot believe that there have been so very many posts supposedly 'debating' what is nothing more than a simple normal sexual orientation that is found across the board in something like 10% of all living populations. 

And I find it amazing and disturbing that anybody could possibly find any fault with somebody's sexual orientation that poses no threats to anybody anywhere.

If the opinions of this stupid, homophobic so-called 'pastor' of some church in the bible belt are shown to be shared by a sizable proportion of the American public, then of course the issue should be addressed, and quickly.

But, it does seem that this fellow is pretty much alone in his ideas, and all he is looking for is publicity.

And, sadly enough, he's had his fifteen minutes of fame.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 12:25AM #242
karbie

Thank you, Sigmund.

I certainly agree that marriage does not include a requirement to reproduce; I've known many couples who were childless by choice.

During the 10 years of marriage before I carried to term, we were continually told we were being "selfish" by not producing a grandchild, although not by those who were directly involved. It never seemed to occur to them it could be a sensitive issue, but it was certainly none of their business.

Not all heterosexuals can conceive without outside help. So it isn't a reason to deny same-sex marriages or claim that homosexuals are inferior because of it.

I'm not going to rehash everything because the arguments from mm never change.

I am not in favor of denying same-sex unions based on the prejudices of someone else's religious views.

I am totally against having someone else's religious and/or personal bias imposed on the country by legislation.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 26, 2012 - 3:47PM #243
Stardove

From OPwww.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21/north-...

This so called preacher's church should lose it's tax exemption mixing politics and religion from the pulpit.

Makes me wonder, if Charles L. Worley is in the closet. Tongue Out

I watched Outrage a documentary about closeted politicians last night who vote anti-gay.

www.outragethemovie.com/

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 6:26PM #244
karbie

Perhaps we should all invest in companies that make fences, since this "Pastor" will eventually add more types of "them" who need to be kept away from decent, God-fearing born-again Christians like his congregation.

If he's in the closet, let's padlock it. That will keep him from coming into contact with any of those horrible homosexuals he wants to kill off.

I'm sure that these ministers are getting off on all the publicity their malicious sermons are receiving and have dreams of their own TV shows dancing in their brains. (It would be the only brain activity detectable.)

Unfortunately too many preachers mix politics into their sermons for these clowns to lose their tax-exempt status of their churches. You can't reason with fanatics because their brains are fossilized.

It would still be much cheaper to just fence in these ministers and their congregations to protect them from the homosexual monsters under the bed.  Suspect children would be banished to the care of people who don't consider beating children to be the best method of correction.

We had a self-styled religious fanatic in our neighborhood. He used to get together a bunch of kids to be the entertainment before he preached to men at religious shelters. (I got roped in to sing with my sister because she had a crush on one of his sons.) One day he caught my father outside and started telling Daddy that he was a lustful man, a sinner--and Daddy  asked him how many children he had. "Seven". Daddy looked at him, said "I have 2 children. Don't talk to me about lust." Then he basically told him never to bother him again  in a way that not only made him leave, he didn't include our street in his rounds again.

Compared to these creeps, he'd be a liberal. And out of the 6 sons, one of them was gay. He couldn't leave the closet because it would have cost him his home, his family, and being a member of the Baptist Temple he'd grown up at. Coming out isn't easy; being the kind of human being who knew he would become an outcast made it impossible for him.

Too bad those reasoning impaired ministers would throw people into stockyards instead of ..oh yeah--"Hating the sin but loving the sinner."

I'd fail on that one where those ministers and anyone else who want to make the world a colder, darker hate- centered place because I detest their message and wonder how many teens in their churches are suffering for being even slightly different.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 8:05PM #245
Roodog

May 27, 2012 -- 6:26PM, karbie wrote:

Perhaps we should all invest in companies that make fences, since this "Pastor" will eventually add more types of "them" who need to be kept away from decent, God-fearing born-again Christians like his congregation.

If he's in the closet, let's padlock it. That will keep him from coming into contact with any of those horrible homosexuals he wants to kill off.

I'm sure that these ministers are getting off on all the publicity their malicious sermons are receiving and have dreams of their own TV shows dancing in their brains. (It would be the only brain activity detectable.)

Unfortunately too many preachers mix politics into their sermons for these clowns to lose their tax-exempt status of their churches. You can't reason with fanatics because their brains are fossilized.

It would still be much cheaper to just fence in these ministers and their congregations to protect them from the homosexual monsters under the bed.  Suspect children would be banished to the care of people who don't consider beating children to be the best method of correction.

We had a self-styled religious fanatic in our neighborhood. He used to get together a bunch of kids to be the entertainment before he preached to men at religious shelters. (I got roped in to sing with my sister because she had a crush on one of his sons.) One day he caught my father outside and started telling Daddy that he was a lustful man, a sinner--and Daddy  asked him how many children he had. "Seven". Daddy looked at him, said "I have 2 children. Don't talk to me about lust." Then he basically told him never to bother him again  in a way that not only made him leave, he didn't include our street in his rounds again.

Compared to these creeps, he'd be a liberal. And out of the 6 sons, one of them was gay. He couldn't leave the closet because it would have cost him his home, his family, and being a member of the Baptist Temple he'd grown up at. Coming out isn't easy; being the kind of human being who knew he would become an outcast made it impossible for him.

Too bad those reasoning impaired ministers would throw people into stockyards instead of ..oh yeah--"Hating the sin but loving the sinner."

I'd fail on that one where those ministers and anyone else who want to make the world a colder, darker hate- centered place because I detest their message and wonder how many teens in their churches are suffering for being even slightly different.

Karbie,

Watch what you say, these folks may end up stoning you along with the rest of us when they take over the world.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 8:37PM #246
karbie

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I know the qualification wouldn't bother groups of this sort. First you have a big Revival where everyone is whipped into a frenzy of confessions and conversions to the Bigoted Baptist Church of the Self-Righteous, and then a little stone throwing could be a warm, bonding experience.

They'd even get a free fence around them for years afterward. Provided with 3 meals a day and a bed as well.

I'm afraid I had a momentary vision of these preachers and their congregations totally stoned from a few dishes at their pitch-in dinner.

I went to school with too many of them. They could tolerate you being purple as long as you were a member of their church and could be paraded around to prove how Christian they were. If you were from a suspect religion--like an Episcopalian where you called priests who wore long dresses "Father"--you were too close to the Catholics.

My father was not officially a WWII vet because he served with the mop-up crews digging the troops out of the mountains. He had a minister rush up to  him to ask  "Are you Saved ?" My father told him, "No, I'm an Episcopalian."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 9:18PM #247
mainecaptain

Karbie, your Dad sounds like a smart fellow.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 10:45PM #248
Roodog

May 27, 2012 -- 8:37PM, karbie wrote:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I know the qualification wouldn't bother groups of this sort. First you have a big Revival where everyone is whipped into a frenzy of confessions and conversions to the Bigoted Baptist Church of the Self-Righteous, and then a little stone throwing could be a warm, bonding experience.

They'd even get a free fence around them for years afterward. Provided with 3 meals a day and a bed as well.

I'm afraid I had a momentary vision of these preachers and their congregations totally stoned from a few dishes at their pitch-in dinner.

I went to school with too many of them. They could tolerate you being purple as long as you were a member of their church and could be paraded around to prove how Christian they were. If you were from a suspect religion--like an Episcopalian where you called priests who wore long dresses "Father"--you were too close to the Catholics.

My father was not officially a WWII vet because he served with the mop-up crews digging the troops out of the mountains. He had a minister rush up to  him to ask  "Are you Saved ?" My father told him, "No, I'm an Episcopalian."

To some of these people, an Episcopalian is seen in the same light as the Gays and Lesbians, and be treated accordingly. Liberal Christians will go to jail if some of these folks have their way.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian but I oppose any coercive means and methods of out reach by the Church. People should be free to choose.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 5:30AM #249
karbie

Well, how can you trust any "Christian" religion that placed  more emphasis on God loving us than threats of Hell for not spouting the Party line? Let's see--according to the many Fundies I've met along the way, the Bible tells how long a woman's skirt should be, that the man is the head of the household so his prayers carry more weight with God, it's okay to beat your kids and your wife because they are supposed to obey you, and watching Rocco's Modern Life will send you straight to Hell. (Which is wrong because on Rocco you got sent to Heck)

The Harry Potter books/movies are a Satanic influence...which means that my mother is a Satanic influence for sending some of them on to my son after the Adult class at church was finished reading and discussing them. The consensus they reached was that they were about the importance of friendship, loyalty, and Good triumphing over Evil.

It's always strange when politicians pander to these "Christian" groups for votes, or promise to bring back "Christian values", etc. Christians can't agree with each other or there wouldn't be so many different sects, independents, etc. So the desire to force a theocracy on the US government would just not work--legislating morality doesn't work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 8:17AM #250
costrel

May 21, 2012 -- 4:18PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Such a 'loving' 'Christian' attitude - yet AGAIN!!!

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21/north-...

The Nazis arrested around 100,000 men for being homosexuals, sentenced around 50,000 of them to prison, and imprisoned an estimated 5,000-15,000 of these 50,000 in concentration camps (the most widely-recognized of their various camp badges was the pink triangle). In post-Batista Revolutionary Cuba, influenced by Che Guevara's "New Man" ideology and Fidel Castro's ideology that "a true social revolution produces a cultural revolution," the Lacra Social arrested homosexuals and imprisoned them in work camps, as Allen Ginsberg discovered when he visited Cuba in 1965 for an international writer's conference.

It seems that certain Christians in the U.S. who support an enforced Christian/nationalistic heteronormativity want to resort to the same kinds of so-called "solutions" as those practiced by German Nazis and Cuban Communists. (And perhaps this pastor was also influenced by Octavia Butler's dystopic novel Parable of the Talents, which centers around the plight of the members of Earthseed, a new post-Christian religion that accepts homosexuals, who are imprisoned in a concentration camp after a Christian theocracy has been established in the United States.) 

(For information on homosexuals in Nazi Germany, please click HERE, which will take you to a United States Holocaust Memorial Museum page. For information on homosexuals in Revolutionary Cuba, please see Todd F. Tietchen's The Cubalogues: Beat Writers in Revolutionary Havana [Gainesville: UP of Florida, 2010].)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 25 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook