Page 7 of 21  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 2:59PM #61
teilhard

IOW, questioning/confronting a Kid for the Terrible Crime of "Wearing a Hoodie while Walking Black with Skittles" MUST be left to  THE  POLICE ...

May 18, 2012 -- 2:52PM, TPaine wrote:

May 18, 2012 -- 12:28PM, mindis1 wrote:

Again, the prosecutor needs to provide evidence that Zimmerman provoked the use of force against himself. A particular “interpretation”of an act that one can “interpret” in some other way is obviously not evidence.

A neighborhood watch volunteer “following” someone, and even stopping and questioning someone, just does not imply that that volunteer “provoked” the use of force against him/herself, does it?  It's commonplace for neighborhood watch persons to follow, stop and question people, isn't it?

According to the Neighborhood Watch Manual published by USAonWatch in partnership with the National Sheriffs' Association and the Bureau of Justice Assistance of the U.S. Department of Justice on page 17 it states:

"Patrol members should be trained by law enforcement. It should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers and they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles. They should also be cautioned to alert police or deputies when encountering strange activity. Members should never confront suspicious persons who could be armed and dangerous. Patrol members can be equipped for their duties. For example, flashlights or searchlights are necessary for night patrols. Many mobile patrols use cell phones or two-way radios to contact a citizen-manned base station, which in turn contacts law enforcement officials when necessary. Remember your partnerships and ask for donations from local businesses."

at the bottom of page 22 it states in large type:

REMEMBER:
Community members only serve as the extra “eyes and ears” of law enforcement. They should report their observations of suspicious activities to law enforcement; however, citizens should never try to take action on those observations. Trained law enforcement should be the only ones ever to take action based on observations of suspicious activities.

Link

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 4:05PM #62
Nepenthe

May 18, 2012 -- 2:59PM, teilhard wrote:

IOW, questioning/confronting a Kid for the Terrible Crime of "Wearing a Hoodie while Walking Black with Skittles" MUST be left to  THE  POLICE ...

No, it mustn't.  It should be left to the police, but it mustn't be left to the police.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 6:15PM #63
Marcion

Trayvon was shot at close range during the struggle and not walking away as teilhard would have us believe.

Moderated by Merope on May 18, 2012 - 11:32PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 7:00PM #64
teilhard

Look at the Crime Scene Map of the Neighborhood, now available via "Google" ...

It SHOWS where The Night Stalker's Truck was parked, where to Trayvon Martin was going (his Grandfather's House), and where The Night Stalker SHOT and KILLED an unarmed harmless KID ...

May 18, 2012 -- 6:15PM, Marcion wrote:

Trayvon was shot at close range during the struggle and not walking away as teilhard would have us believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:17PM #65
farragut

How important it is to us that once we have taken a position on an issue, we must support it with everything that we have or can dream up.

I shall let the authorities hash this out, and then see if I can agree with them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:24PM #66
wohali

Refering to George Zimmerman as the "Night Stalker" is disgusting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:37PM #67
mountain_man

May 17, 2012 -- 11:27PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

But, it should be included....

Thanks for sharing your beliefs.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:42PM #68
mountain_man

May 18, 2012 -- 10:00AM, mindis1 wrote:

...You say that because Zimmerman “followed Martin with a gun,” “[h]e was wrong and should be prosecuted.” But the neighborhood watch volunteer did not do anything unlawful by having a gun or by following, stopping and questioning Martin, did he?

Yes. He had absolutely no right to stop and question Trayvon. The cops even told him not to. Zimmerman was not part of any official Neighborhood Watch. He was acting on his own. Neighborhood Watch is supposed to WATCH, not act nor carry guns.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:44PM #69
mountain_man

May 18, 2012 -- 10:10AM, mindis1 wrote:

Obviously you do not understand .....

Obviously if you had a valid argument you wouldn't have to resort to personal attacks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:57PM #70
mountain_man

May 18, 2012 -- 8:17PM, farragut wrote:

How important it is to us that once we have taken a position on an issue, we must support it with everything that we have or can dream up.

You'll have to ask the defenders of Zimmerman that.

I shall let the authorities hash this out, and then see if I can agree with them.

If Zimmerman is convicted of anything there will be a giant whine from those on the Right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 21  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook