Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View H.S. Baseball Team Forfeits Championship Game Rather Than Play Team With A Girl Player
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 10:19AM #51
mytmouse57

May 16, 2012 -- 10:48PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 16, 2012 -- 1:51PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 10:06PM, mountain_man wrote:

Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.

Note the word in red. The government has done nothing in this case so the First Amendment does not apply.

It's a federally protected right....

For your further education I left the above intact. Again, note the word in red.

What part of a federally protected right, for all Americans, did you fail to understand? What part of, Congress makes laws which apply to us all, did you fail to understand?

Again, according to your reasoning, the KKK should still have free reign to restirct Black people's basic First Amendment rights down South, because the KKK isn't a governmental agency, or an arm of Congress. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 10:21AM #52
mytmouse57

May 16, 2012 -- 2:52PM, Yavanna wrote:

May 16, 2012 -- 2:07PM, arielg wrote:

Because playing Mesa Prep would require competing against a team featuring a girl, Our Lady of Sorrows decided that playing the game would violate the school's mission to teach boys and girls separately, as the school made clear in a statement on Thursday. The separation of the sexes is a key tenet of the Society of St. Pius X, a separatist branch of the Catholic Church of which Our Lady of Sorrows is a part. Link

It is a stupid game and they have the right to go by their standards.  The "equality in everything" crowd should take a deep beath and apply their agenda to something more meaningful.

Like equality for chickens!

KFC treats all chickens equally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 11:18AM #53
loveontheair

Hello,

Not to yank on any chains here but if a girl is going to play on the boys baseball team then the 6'-8'' center on the boys basketball team should be able to play on the girls volleyball team, right? Didn't Annika Sorenstam play a couple to tournaments on the men's PGA tour? We know what happened there. I also find it not acceptable for a trans-gendered athlete to participate in the Olympics. My $.02

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 12:31PM #54
mytmouse57

May 17, 2012 -- 11:18AM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

Not to yank on any chains here but if a girl is going to play on the boys baseball team then the 6'-8'' center on the boys basketball team should be able to play on the girls volleyball team, right? Didn't Annika Sorenstam play a couple to tournaments on the men's PGA tour? We know what happened there. I also find it not acceptable for a trans-gendered athlete to participate in the Olympics. My $.02

love

I think there are some sports that have quite a bit of "overlap," so to speak, and many members of both sexes can play.

Others, not so much. Girls with the physical capabilites to play football on par with males, for example, do exist, but they are very rare. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 12:36PM #55
loveontheair

May 17, 2012 -- 12:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Hello,

love

I think there are some sports that have quite a bit of "overlap," so to speak, and many members of both sexes can play.

Others, not so much. Girls with the physical capabilites to play football on par with males, for example, do exist, but they are very rare. 

Hello,

I agree. I was on a co-ed bowling team, does that count?

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 5:58PM #56
TPaine

Hello,

love

The reason Paige Sultzbach played on the boy's baseball team was because there was no girl's softball team. She has said she'd rather play softball. There is a boy playing on a girl's field hockey team in New York because there is no boy's field hockey team. Link

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 6:11PM #57
TPaine

May 17, 2012 -- 12:36PM, loveontheair wrote:

May 17, 2012 -- 12:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Hello,

love

Hello,

I agree. I was on a co-ed bowling team, does that count?

love

Why not? Smile

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 7:24PM #58
wohali

Mytmouse:

"According to your reasoning, Klansmen should still be free to forbid Black folks from exercising basic First Amendment rights down south -- so long as they KKK aren't operating in an offical government capacity."

And just how would the KKK effect that without violating civil and statute law?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 9:33PM #59
mountain_man

May 17, 2012 -- 10:19AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

What part of a federally protected right...

You have the right to not have the GOVERNMENT interfer with your freedom of speech. That's what the Constitution says.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 9:37PM #60
mountain_man

May 17, 2012 -- 7:24PM, wohali wrote:

And just how would the KKK effect that without violating civil and statute law?

He invoked the Constitution, not civil law. He did so in an attempt to say that someone cannot disagree with, and voice that opinion, when someone believes something differently. He was actually trying to stifle my freedom of speech.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook