Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View H.S. Baseball Team Forfeits Championship Game Rather Than Play Team With A Girl Player
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:11AM #11
mountain_man

May 14, 2012 -- 6:16AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

And now that you have imagined it, it must be true. . . .

One doesn't have to do much imagining in this case. Religious institutions such as this one have had a long history of teaching exactly those things to girls and young women.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:15AM #12
TPaine

May 14, 2012 -- 6:14AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

May 13, 2012 -- 9:45AM, TPaine wrote:

A baseball team in Arizona that worked all season to reach the state championship game has forfeited the chance to play for a state title ...  Because playing Mesa Prep would require competing against a team featuring a girl, Our Lady of Sorrows decided that playing the game would violate the school's mission to teach boys and girls separately, as the school made clear in a statement on Thursday. The separation of the sexes is a key tenet of the Society of St. Pius X, a separatist branch of the Catholic Church of which Our Lady of Sorrows is a part. Link.

Good for them for standing up for their principles.

It's interesting that you stand up for a group that the ADL claims is "Mired in Anti-Semitism." Link

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:50AM #13
rocketjsquirell

Frankly Scarlett . . .

It is a private religious school making decisions based on their private religious beliefs. It might be a stupid decision based on bad theology, but it is their choice. 

I am waiting to see an article on the girls' softball team which refuses to play because the other side's team has a boy on it.  Only then will we know that sexism is dead. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:44PM #14
TPaine

May 14, 2012 -- 11:50AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Frankly Scarlett . . .

It is a private religious school making decisions based on their private religious beliefs. It might be a stupid decision based on bad theology, but it is their choice. 

I am waiting to see an article on the girls' softball team which refuses to play because the other side's team has a boy on it.  Only then will we know that sexism is dead.

I agree that they had every right to make such a decision based on their religious beliefs. I'm old enough to remember when some white teams wouldn't play a team that had a black player on it, and they would claim it was a religious belief. However, I also posit that people have the right to criticize beliefs that appear to be misogynistic, racist, or bigoted regardless of whether that belief is religious or secular.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:50PM #15
mytmouse57

May 14, 2012 -- 11:50AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Frankly Scarlett . . .

I am waiting to see an article on the girls' softball team which refuses to play because the other side's team has a boy on it.  Only then will we know that sexism is dead.

I agree.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:54PM #16
mountain_man

May 14, 2012 -- 1:44PM, TPaine wrote:

I agree that they had every right to make such a decision based on their religious beliefs. I'm old enough to remember when some white teams wouldn't play a team that had a black player on it, and they would claim it was a religious belief. However, I also posit that people have the right to criticize beliefs that appear to be misogynistic, racist, or bigoted regardless of whether that belief is religious or secular.

Well said. Just because it is a religion holding a misogynistic, racist, or bigoted belief does not make it right nor does it prohibit from anyone disagreeing with it in public.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:55PM #17
mountain_man

May 14, 2012 -- 1:50PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I agree.

You agreed with something that made absolutely no sense at all?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:44PM #18
mytmouse57

May 14, 2012 -- 1:55PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 14, 2012 -- 1:50PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I agree.

You agreed with something that made absolutely no sense at all?

Rocketsquirrel's post made perfect sense. Read it again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 6:29PM #19
mountain_man

May 14, 2012 -- 2:44PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Rocketsquirrel's post made perfect sense. Read it again.

It makes no sense. Maybe in another language, but in English, it made no sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 9:28PM #20
rocketjsquirell

MM

try again. 3rd time is the charm

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement