Switch to Forum Live View Carroll Shelby dies at 89
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 6:12AM #1
Yavanna
Carroll Shelby, the charismatic Texan who parlayed a short-lived racing career into a specialized business building high-performance, street-legal cars, died Thursday. He was 89. Shelby died at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, according to an announcement by his company, Carroll Shelby Licensing. A cause was not disclosed.
The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:38PM #2
TPaine

I turned 20-years-old in 1966 and really wanted a Shelby GT 350 with the Paxton supercharger because I knew it would blow the doors off my friend's GTO. Back then gas cost 25.9 cents-per-gallon so we weren't worried about how much fuel we used.

May Carroll Shelby rest in peace. I'll always remember him as someone who created amazing cars.

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:42PM #3
mytmouse57

I don't know much about him, but I do know, his ideas were very innovative, out of the box, and remained cutting edge. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 3:11PM #4
Yavanna

May 14, 2012 -- 2:38PM, TPaine wrote:

I turned 20-years-old in 1966 and really wanted a Shelby GT 350 with the Paxton supercharger because I knew it would blow the doors off my friend's GTO. Back then gas cost 25.9 cents-per-gallon so we weren't worried about how much fuel we used.

May Carroll Shelby rest in peace. I'll always remember him as someone who created amazing cars.

He was an amazing man. We've lost an important icon of the automotive world.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest