Switch to Forum Live View TSA potentially damages $10K Insulin Pump
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 1:09PM #1
Ironhold
link

A diabetic 16-year-old was returning from a class trip when TSA screeners forced her to take her machine through the full-body scanner rather than give her the pat-down called for by the paperwork she had on her. The manufacturer can't promise that the machine will still work as they never tested it against interference caused by scanners, but the only response from the TSA was a request for a conference call.

I think someone's going to be getting fired very shortly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 2:19PM #2
Nepenthe

Perhaps someone will get fired, but since this is par for the course concerning government agencies, I think it is doubtful.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 9:42PM #3
REteach

Bin Laden must be rolling with laughter on the ocean floor. Not only did we pass all these laws to keep ourselves safe from everything, we then complain when they are implemented.  He must think death was worth it to watch what we have done to ourselves?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 8:05PM #4
TemplarS

May 9, 2012 -- 2:19PM, Nepenthe wrote:

Perhaps someone will get fired, but since this is par for the course concerning government agencies, I think it is doubtful.

Government agencies, huh?

Seems your much-vaunted free-market corporations aren't any better:

abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/05/j...

JetBlue cited a “computer glitch” on Thursday as the reason it removed an 18-month old girl from a plane bound for New Jersey earlier this week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 9:11AM #5
Nepenthe

May 12, 2012 -- 8:05PM, TemplarS wrote:

Government agencies, huh?

Seems your much-vaunted free-market corporations aren't any better:

abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/05/j...

JetBlue cited a “computer glitch” on Thursday as the reason it removed an 18-month old girl from a plane bound for New Jersey earlier this week.

Nowhere in my post did I imply that free-market corporations would be any better.  And the incident concerning the 18 month old girl deals with the idiotic, government created no-fly list.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 6:52PM #6
Marcion

TSA are nothing but thugs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 9:22PM #7
TemplarS

Giving anybody a badge and some authority carries with it the inescapable fact that some will misuse the authority.  I doubt the TSA is any worse than other institutions; it is just that when they abuse their authority, it generally happens in a very public way, with lots of witnesses.  Lots of other police abuses happen on dark roads with just the cop and the victim.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 1:53AM #8
Ebon

May 17, 2012 -- 9:22PM, TemplarS wrote:

Giving anybody a badge and some authority carries with it the inescapable fact that some will misuse the authority.  I doubt the TSA is any worse than other institutions; it is just that when they abuse their authority, it generally happens in a very public way, with lots of witnesses.  Lots of other police abuses happen on dark roads with just the cop and the victim.

^ This. It's a sad fact of human nature that if you give someone authority, a certain percentage of them will abuse it. Most don't of course, and the organisation will generally do it's best to weed out the power-crazed.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 8:27AM #9
Nepenthe

Yes, but there is a difference in abusing the power you are given and being given the power to abuse.  For TSA, it is not that they are abusing the small amount of power they have, it is that they have been given a large amount of power and legality to abuse people.  Simply put, it is legal for them to abuse and assualt other people.  They can legally take their fingers and insert them into a woman, against her will.  This is not an abuse of power, it is the power that was given to them by law. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 3:11PM #10
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook